+ Post New Thread
Windows Server 2000/2003 Thread, What's this and why's it happening? in Technical; The attached image (hopefilly - I've never tried posting with an image before!) shows a backup of one of the ...
    Thank Post

What's this and why's it happening?

The attached image (hopefilly - I've never tried posting with an image before!) shows a backup of one of the folders containing student file stores.

The server (2003) exhibits exactly the same behaviour.

The folder in question (though it happens sporadically in other year groups as well) is the one in the middle, named "Documents"... but it's not!

I shall enlarge. The folder is actually called what it should be, the username of the user whose filestore it is, just like all the others around it (hence the need to blur them out - we haven't got unreadable usernames in that year group yet). Double clicking it opens it up, and the path at the top displays as it should, with the correct username. From a command prompt, all seems to be well too with no evidence of the problem. Renaming "Documents" to something else changes renames the way ALL such occurrences in all year groups displays...

"My documents" IS redirected by a GPO to a folder inside the filestore, but if that was the cause why hasn't it done it on all of them, just odd ones...

What's it doing, why's the icon changing and how the bejeepers do I stop it?!

Documents.jpg

Thank Post
    Turn off Hidden Files, turn on Show Protected OS Files, then see if there's a desktop.ini folder in there - delete that then try - it's probably got a Personalised Name.

3. Thanks to Diello from:

BatchFile (2nd March 2009)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Diello View Post
    Turn off Hidden Files, turn on Show Protected OS Files, then see if there's a desktop.ini folder in there - delete that then try - it's probably got a Personalised Name.
    Bullseye!

now how did that get in there???

Thank Post
    Windows creates it a lot of the time by default (mix that in with Libraries in W7, and you've got a right potential headache there) - so a possible legacy of moved users? Or ones who've logged onto less restricted workstations, or tried to personalise the folder - lots of possibilities really.

Glad it's sorted for you!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread