+ Post New Thread
Windows Server 2000/2003 Thread, SBS 2003 POP Connector Timing in Technical; A two part question. The POP connector within SBS 2003 (Exchange) can only be configured to a minimum time between ...
    Thank Post

SBS 2003 POP Connector Timing

A two part question.

The POP connector within SBS 2003 (Exchange) can only be configured to a minimum time between email collections of 15 minutes, this is becoming a pain and I'd like to reduce this down to one minute if possible.

Q1 - Does anyone know if it's possible to hack the POP connector to reduce the collection time?

OR

Q2 - Is there a third-party pop connector that's compatible with SBS that would give us this functionality?

Thanks all.

Thank Post
    I don't know, but are you aware that you can also use direct mail delivery instead of a POP account? I do this for one of my freelance companies, because they were tired of getting emails in blocks every 15 minutes (there were other reasons too though).

Thank Post
    Nope, you definately can't hack it to reduce the collection time - 15 minutes is your shortest period. If you want an alternative, check this page on MSExchange.org POP 3 Downloaders for Exchange.

I would echo powdarrmonkey's suggestion though and look at moving to direct delivery to Exchange. In order to do this, you need a domain name (schoolname.co.uk or something like that), then you need to ask your hosting provider/registrar to create a subdomain, something like mail.schoolname.co.uk and point it to IP address of your internet connection. You then ask them to create an MX record for your domain, pointing to your subdomain (you can't point an MX record to an IP address which is why we use the subdomain). The last things you need to do are redirect port 25 from your router to your server, and tell Exchange that it is authoritive for your particular domain. I can't remember the steps for that off the top of my head, but if you need to know I'll hunt them out.

If you need any help with this, let me know and we can talk.

Thank Post
    Actually, I think you can...

Pro-Exchange - SBS POP3 Connector Polling Interval

Make sure you take note on what the accelerator actually means. Not using it here anymore as a combination of large attachment + slow broadband meant it tried to trigger while still downloading the previous lot of mail and threw a hissy fit.

There are lots of reasons still to be on the POP3 collector - it does cause some problems (BCC's, argh!) but is sometimes the best you can do with what you've got...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by powdarrmonkey View Post
    I don't know, but are you aware that you can also use direct mail delivery instead of a POP account? I do this for one of my freelance companies, because they were tired of getting emails in blocks every 15 minutes (there were other reasons too though).
    Unfortunately we can't use an SMTP feed to the server because we share our DN across three physical sites, each site therefor has to download the contents of it's own mailboxes. If I could have done this then I would have

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by OutToLunch View Post
    Thanks for this.

I've configured it and I'll kep an eye on it over the next few days.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread