+ Post New Thread
Windows Server 2000/2003 Thread, Allowing a staff member to add users in Technical; Hi all We are running a standard Server 2003 network and I am searching for a program that will permit ...

Thank Post

Allowing a staff member to add users

Hi all
    We are running a standard Server 2003 network and I am searching for a program that will permit a trusted staff member to add new users to the network but that does not give them full control over Active Directory...does that make sense. I guess I am looking for some kind of front end that can be used for adding and removing users so I do not have to install the Active Directory snap in on their machine. Many thanks

Thank Post
    Well what you can do is install the server adminpac on there laptop, and just delegate them control over Active directory to the student area, Haven't done it for awhile personally so can't remember exactly what needs clicking etc, I'll post back more details once i'm in the office tomorrow and have it infront of me, As we have it where we are that staff can only reset student passwords for obvious reasons.

Thanks
    Aaron

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,680 Times in 1,460 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Basically what he said, deligate control. I have set it so staff can reset students passwords.

You can also create your own MMC so staff can't see the rest of AD.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Ive delegated control to one member of staff and given them the Wisesoft tools WiseSoft - Resources for IT Professionals for doing stuff.

Thank Post
    1 - we dont allow non IT staff to do IT things (obviously dependant number of tech staff available and dependant on school policy IE student immediate satisfaction, no incentive to remeber passwords yada yada yada)
    2 - i have tested the wiseSoft as rabbie burns suggested above and it is pretty perfect for that niche task.
    3 - you could write your own without too much stress if your up to it.

Thank Post
    We've been asked for this in the past, but have said no because its too much of a risk. We tell teachers to 'lock' their PC's when not using them. Do they listen?!! So letting them have 'access' to user accounts- not a chance!!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,781 Times in 1,105 Posts
    Blog Entries
    This is also an admin task for computer systems ... something that you should not ask teachers to do under the 24 tasks.

Realistically you should a process in your school where you are informed in reasonable time that a new student or member of staff is joining and then you add them, either manually or build a script / tool to do it for you (eg export from SIMS into a spreadsheet, run script to check if user exists, is not then create user, place in correct OU and security groups, create home folder with correct premissions, create profile if you use them ....)

Examples of this have been on here before.

Thank Post
    This is also an admin task for computer systems ... something that you should not ask teachers to do under the 24 tasks.
    Hey GrumbleDook,

Whats the 24 tasks your referring to?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    1) remember a password
    2) remember to back things up
    3) remember not to let kids log in to their laptop
    24) delegate control to add / remove users

i forget the rest

Thank Post
    under the workload agreement we can no longer be made to do

* Collecting money
    * Chasing absences - teachers will need to inform the relevant member of staff when students are absent from their class or from school
    * Bulk photocopying
    * Copy typing
    * Producing standard letters - teachers may be required to contribute as appropriate in formulating the content of standard letters
    * Producing class lists - teachers may be required to be involved as appropriate in allocating students to a particular class
    * Record keeping and filing - teachers may be required to contribute to the content of records
    * Classroom display - teachers will make professional decisions in determining what material is displayed in and around their classroom
    * Analysing attendance figures - it is for teachers to make use of the outcome of analysis
    * Processing exam results - teachers will need to use the analysis of exam results
    * Collating pupil reports
    * Administering work experience - teachers may be required to support pupils on work experience (including through advice and visits)
    * Administering examinations - teachers have a professional responsibility for identifying appropriate examinations for their pupils
    * Invigilating examinations - see distinct provisions below
    * Administering teacher cover
    * ICT trouble shooting and minor repairs
    * Commissioning new ICT equipment
    * Ordering supplies and equipment - teachers may be involved in identifying needs
    * Stocktaking
    * Cataloguing, preparing, issuing and maintaining equipment and materials
    * Minuting meetings - teachers may be required to communicate action points from meetings
    * Co-ordinating and submitting bids - teachers may be required to make a professional input into the content of bids
    * Seeking and giving personnel advice
    * Managing pupil data - teachers will need to make use of the analysis of pupil data
    * Inputting pupil data - teachers will need to make the initial entry of pupil data into school management systems

we can however choose to do them as some people like doing them, also i tend to find it easier to do some basic troubleshooting of the equipment in my room than e-mail ITS all the time.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,680 Times in 1,460 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sippo View Post
    We've been asked for this in the past, but have said no because its too much of a risk. We tell teachers to 'lock' their PC's when not using them. Do they listen?!! So letting them have 'access' to user accounts- not a chance!!
    We thought that we only installed it on office computers.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread