+ Post New Thread
Windows Server 2000/2003 Thread, 2003 DC restore using acronis true image with universal restore in Technical; Dear All I am trying to build an example worst case scenario where if we had a fire in the ...
    Thank Post

2003 DC restore using acronis true image with universal restore

Dear All

I am trying to build an example worst case scenario where if we had a fire in the server room at our school I could build back the network by one DC which didnt have the FMSO roles assigned to it. Can this be done?

I am currently testing some software called Acronis True image echo server with universal restore and I have backed up the boot volume of one of our domain controllers and restored this server into a test VM using Vmware workstation.

The DC that I have taken a backup of is one of 3 DC's in our school but this DC is a server which doesnt have any FSMO roles assigned to it such as PDC emulator and infrastructure master. Those roles are currently managed by another DC which is our original DC when AD which built from new.

Once I restored this DC as a VM machine, for the most part it seems to have successfully restored. It booted into the server I was able to login and so far I have not had any BSOD errors.

Once I checked the AD information i found all the users and machines from the school were restored but when I looked at the FSMO roles it had an error message which would be obvious as this server wasnt assigned any of these roles.

What I want to test is if its a simple case of giving this standalone DC these FMSO roles through this virtual test environment or do I still need to add the original FMSO DC into this test environment as well for it to be happy and begin replication?

I would rather not do that because as part of the testing I want to see if its possible to bring a whole network backup with a DC that wasn't the first DC in the forest. I am trying to create the scenario if the primary DC had a unrecoverable catastrophic failure, how would the rest of the network react once the FMSO roles are not assigned to a server.

I have looked at some information about this such as:

Using Ntdsutil.exe to transfer or seize FSMO roles to a domain controller
    How to remove data in Active Directory after an unsuccessful domain controller demotion -

What I want to ask do these solutions only work if the DC which had these roles is still alive? what happens if this server had a serious hard drive corruption and I couldn't boot from it at all, would i still be able to seize the role? because what I am reading to seize the role you still need to be able to boot into the DC which had these roles in the first place.

I know I am trying to predict something which probably would never happen but am keen to see the results and see if its possible for me to bring a network back to useable state with a part working DC. My intention is to add another DC into this virtual team which will be based on server 2008 once, transfer all AD info to this new 2008 box and demote the old 2003 DC.

Just for the record all the DC's we have at the moment are all RAID 5/1 backed so serious hard drive corruption should hopefully never happen!

If anyone thinks I should test DR in a better way, please feel free to comment, like i said before this is me just playing around and understanding how it all works but if fellow edugeekers think I am doing this in a real long winded way then please make suggestions.

Finally Acronis true image software is excellent, been really impressed with it so far. Its very easy to use...

Thanks

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,680 Times in 1,460 Posts
    Blog Entries
    You can seize the roles on any DC if the server with all the roles blows up or what ever. If you do it don't power the old server up again it will upset AD. I have done this once or twice its very easy to do and it is done in minutes.

My intention is to add another DC into this virtual team which will be based on server 2008 once, transfer all AD info to this new 2008 box and demote the old 2003 DC.
    When you do this you don't seize the roles do this - Transfer FSMO Roles from one DC to another

Also just as a note, you want to be careful playing with DC images in a production environment you can cause serious replication problems

Thank Post
    I am not sure if this should go in the virtual machines./thin clients section but the work continues based on the original post here.

As an update on this I have managed to successfully transfer all FMSO roles to this test server. I did this by seizing the roles and used ntdsutil tool to action this. Thanks for the reply FN-GM.

Now the next stage is I want to see if I can use this network in my new test environment, I have added a XP client to the virtual team and am trying to get it to join the test domain but I am having a bit trouble with the server issueing this client a IP address from the DHCP server. I have created a new scope on the server as the old scope referenced to another network. I want this DHCP server to issue out an IP from the scope I have created to this client.

On other similar posts I was told to remove any virtual configuration which may be set in vmware so VMware does NOT issue out any ip addresses. There was a DHCP set in the virtual network editor which I have now removed.

This is where my knowledge is beginning to fade, I not very good with DNS and IP configurations. I believe I need to setup a static ip on the server but don't know what information to put in. I dont know what the default gateway will be. If i try to put the ip of the gateway which my local laptop is set to (my home internet network 192.168.1.1) it doesnt work. Currently both are set to dhcp automatic but both are saying network cable is unplugged. I am not sure if I have to setup network settings on the individual vm's, team or in the virtual config.

I am not sure what I should set both the server and client. There are choices in vmware of bridged, nat and host only.

I believe active directory is working but I am not sure if I have setup DHCP and DNS properly and am trying to get the internet to work on both the server and client. The internet would come from my home router and I need to somehow get the server to pick up this router so I can get internet, I will then instruct DHCP to handle the DNS, IP addressing and gateway for the client PC's.

If anyone could offer any advice on this I would be most appreciated.

Thanks

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread