+ Post New Thread
Windows Server 2000/2003 Thread, Ownership of user folders in Technical; Iv got a windows 2K network with XP clients , weve recently moved all our pupils user areas onto a ...

Thank Post

Ownership of user folders

Iv got a windows 2K network with XP clients , weve recently moved all our pupils user areas onto a new server, as part of the policy we direct the My Documents folder to thier user area which we also have a mapped drive for.

since the move iv noticed, the user areas are re-appearing on our old server further investigation led to finding the my documents folder wasnt being re-directed so any documents saved in my documents would be saved in a diferent location to the mapped drive user area.

I have also looked through the event logs and found folder redirection errors, specifically an error saying the security ID could be made an owner of this object, ownership is down as Administrator at the moment. I havegot no idea where to go from here though, any thoughts anyone?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    have you tried redirecting it through DSF (Distributed File System)

If it's 2k server then I'm not completely sure how good/complete the service is in that but I think it's there to some extent.

the other thing is it may be too late for this but hope it might help?

Thank Post
    didnt know you could use DFS for that I thought you could only use to spread one network drive accross multiple servers.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    It's not something I've used other than for active directory but as far as I can tell that should work. I'm sure there is someone here who would know better or the M$ technet website might help?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,699 Times in 2,288 Posts
    Blog Entries
    You could try chown for Windows NT to reset the file ownerships on the folders which you will need to do to get folder redirection working. I had to do this ages ago back when I did something simmilar and we still had 2k servers. 2k3 has a change ownership function builtin.

Utilities for Windows NT

Thank Post
    I would say it has something to do with permissions as I had this a while back to get rid of the problem for the time being though you should be able to untick the "Grant the user exclusive rights to documents" box and this should stop the problem your having until you can fix the permissions. Open the Folder redirection documents, it's under the settings tab when you have the Documents properties windows open

Hope this helps

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bugs View Post
    didnt know you could use DFS for that I thought you could only use to spread one network drive accross multiple servers.
    That is a key use (and that's what the name suggests) but it is more than that - it allows you to set up a share name which doesn't depend on a server (so instead of \\server\share you have \\domain\share)

If you move (say) home folders you don't have to touch user properties, you just update DFS to point to the new server and magic happens :-)

setacl or subinacl are command line tools which will let you reset ownership (probably easier than using the GUI if you've got many folders to fix)

Just as an aside, if you're using Windows server quotas then you do need to fix the ownership; that's what's used to determine how much space a user has used (and as a further aside - note that you can't change ownership if it will take the user over their quota; turn off quota management, change owner, turn back on quotas)

Thank Post
    Once again, I must recommend the very good wiki page at http://www.edugeek.net/wiki/index.ph..._on_homedrives for sorting out homedrive problems.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I'm 100% sure if this relates to your problem, but it sounds similar and something I looked up when I was studying MS2273. Enabling the administrator to have access to redirected folders

I don't think it's the exact link I initially read (and I thought I had bookmarked it) but I'm 99% certain that it is pretty close.

Thank Post
    Hi chaps,

iv sorted it!!! Found it was the settings in the GPO for granting exclusive rights as FatBoy said, thanx to all who answered

Thank Post
    Cool glad I could help

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread