+ Post New Thread
Windows Server 2000/2003 Thread, WPAD File, Auto Detect Proxy Server in Technical; I work in a High School and a number of are teachers use laptops that they log on locally to, ...

Thank Post

WPAD File, Auto Detect Proxy Server

I work in a High School and a number of are teachers use laptops that they log on locally to, this allows them to use them at home, at my pervious job the teachers could come into the school and not have to uncheck the Auto Detect Proxy tab and re enter it every time they want to use the internet. Im sure this has something to so with the WPAD file that sits on the server! Im pretty sure I can find this however I don't want to touch it until I have a better understanding of what each section does! Can anyone help me with this issue?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by steveo2000 View Post
    Im sure this has something to so with the WPAD file that sits on the server!
    Correct!!1!eleventyone!

Im pretty sure I can find this however I don't want to touch it until I have a better understanding of what each section does! Can anyone help me with this issue?
    Not without seeing it, no.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by steveo2000 View Post
    I work in a High School and a number of are teachers use laptops that they log on locally to, this allows them to use them at home, at my pervious job the teachers could come into the school and not have to uncheck the Auto Detect Proxy tab and re enter it every time they want to use the internet. Im sure this has something to so with the WPAD file that sits on the server! Im pretty sure I can find this however I don't want to touch it until I have a better understanding of what each section does! Can anyone help me with this issue?
    Are you looking to implement a Wpad file, or change the one you already have?

I am guessing you are looking to detect the current ip address of the machine, and base the proxy settings on that?

Posting your current wpad file may well give a solution.

Robk

Thank Post
    You need more than just a WPAD - you need to allow autodetect to find it. 2 ways to do this:
    1. serve it from wpad.localdomain/wpad.dat - relies upon all these machines having the same domain suffix
    2. issue DHCP option 252 with the location of the wpad.dat (or proxy.pac, the 2 are interchangeable)

Thank Post
    Hi all,

Just want to clarify something... I want to get the clients on my boarders network to automatically detect the proxy so I have made a proxy.pac which works. I have added the 252 option in DHCP and when obtaining a IP address DHCP added the location of the pac file into the Address box (eg http://servername/proxy.pac) in the automatic configuration bit of IE. But it doesn't work until I tick the "Use automatic Configuration script" tick box, is there a way to get this tick box ticked without manually doing it? Or should this work without this tick box being ticked?

Thank Post
    You'll need "automatically detect settings" ticked - but thats usually default (or was last i looked).

7. Thanks to tom_newton from:

FatBoy (14th July 2010)

Thank Post
    Looks like that's working if the machines have up to date IE cheers

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread