+ Post New Thread
Windows Server 2000/2003 Thread, Have I made a booboo? in Technical; I've just removed Winsuite from our curriculum server and set up AD and Group Policies. I just went to look ...

Thank Post

Have I made a booboo?

I've just removed Winsuite from our curriculum server and set up AD and Group Policies. I just went to look at a hidden share on the backup server, typed in \\servername\ and all of the newly created user folders appeared. If I then completed the path \\servername\curricbu\ I got what I wanted.

Is this correct or do I need to fix something?
    Last edited by laserblazer; 31st January 2009 at 11:58 AM.

Thank Post
    "ideally" the shares should have been created hidden so you don't see them all when you put in \\servername

You should have to go to a share directly with \\servername\bloggsJoe$ for example.

It sounds like your pupils folders are shared - but not hidden. This may not be a problem depending on the share & security permissions. If the permissions are wrong then you may have a bit of scripting to do to re-share them all.

I can't really advise further though as you may have current polices etc. that depend on the share being \\servername\bloggsJoe - those would all have to be changed too.

So, to sum up - "it depends"

3. Thanks to eejit from:

laserblazer (31st January 2009)

Thank Post
    Umm, Winsuite created hidden shares automatically and that's what I intended to do again but an LEA expert advised against it saying it wasn't necessary. I think I'll hide the staff folders but leave the students alone.

Thanks.

Thank Post
    yeah, it's not 'necessary' but it really makes a better looking system. Otherwise you'll often get staff coming up to you going "AAAHHHH, the kids can see everyone's folders"

The fact that they can't open them or delete them does not always placate the worried member of staff.

Thank Post
    If the staff come to me with things like that, my stock reply is "When you start worrying about having your username and password on a postit next to your computer I'll start worrying about them seeing your home folder!"

Thank Post
    good one

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Removing WinSuite

Quote Originally Posted by laserblazer View Post
    I've just removed Winsuite from our curriculum server and set up AD and Group Policies.
    Hope you don't me hi-jacking the thread, it is related

It's good to here of someone getting rid of WinSuite (the product has been the bane of my life the past 4 years!). I'm adamant that WinSuite needs to be removed form our network. It's a job I'm planning for this Summer.

Do you have any tips or general advise from your experience of removing this that I should watch out for?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tmcd35 View Post
    Hope you don't me hi-jacking the thread, it is related

It's good to here of someone getting rid of WinSuite (the product has been the bane of my life the past 4 years!). I'm adamant that WinSuite needs to be removed form our network. It's a job I'm planning for this Summer.

Do you have any tips or general advise from your experience of removing this that I should watch out for?
    I've created a spin-off

Boot Winsuite into touch

Sorry but my initial post is very long but that reflects the amount of time and effort that went into the job.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I'm surprised that your sharing all your student/staff folders, wouldn't that be really messy depending on how many staff/students in your school? Wouldn't it be much neater to make folders along the lines of StaffHomes and StudentHomes and share them then have all the folders contained within them?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread