Poll: Have you studied Server 2003 systematically?

+ Post New Thread
Windows Server 2000/2003 Thread, Poll: Have you studied 2003 systematically? in Technical; I've always worked on a need-to-know basis, relying on Googling anything I need to find out, and evading the task ...
    BJG
    Thank Post

Post Poll: Have you studied 2003 systematically?

I've always worked on a need-to-know basis, relying on Googling anything I need to find out, and evading the task of sitting down to work methodically through training materials. (Well, I did try and read the MCSE Server 2003 manuals once, but quickly got bored and gave up.)

But I've recently been caught out a couple of times on things where I ought to have known better (eg getting confused just now that permissions changes on the "Creator Owner" account didn't seem to stick, until a quick search revealed that it works differently through some special-permissions fudge.) So...am I the only lazy fly-by-the-seat-of-your-pants type around here or are there more of us?
    Last edited by BJG; 30th January 2009 at 03:23 PM.

Thank Post
    I'm a googler.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,314 Times in 798 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I am a googler mostly.

Quote Originally Posted by BJG View Post
    But I've recently been caught out a couple of times on things where I ought to have known better (eg getting confused just now that permissions changes on the "Creator Owner" account didn't seem to stick, until a quick search revealed that it works differently through some special-permissions fudge.) So...am I the only lazy fly-by-the-seat-of-your-pants type around here or are there more of us?
    Learning 2003 systematically probably wont prevent those moments I bet though

* Moved post to the 2003 forum

Thank Post
    I wouldn't say I was systematic exactly, however I have studied parts of it and other bits I've worked out as the need arose. I keep meaning to take it apart bit by bit (not literally) and get to proper grips with each part - but I never have enough time, so like many I Google.

Thank Post
    I'm a Googler and also use work by logic as well - lots of problems are just a puzzle you need to look at in the right order to solve

Often the books say loads of theory but when it comes to the doing it's a completely different story

Thank Post
    i am definitely an edugeeker first and then a googler. I have though referred to the server mcsce books a few times though. The main one was for the ntdsutil command

Thank Post
    I study systematically, however as no-one can retain all the info all the time (especially me) I refresh myself alot via searches

-Ken

Thank Post
    Googler here, need to know basis. My most recent one was setting up Wireless access points using RADIUS and IAS on server 2003.

I'm fairly good thou as when I find the right information it gets printed off and filed in a documentation folder. That way if I need to fix a problem, or something goes wrong or I need to repeat the same work again, I've got the right instructions on-hand.

Thank Post
    Like wagnerk, I studied it systematically for certification, but in day-to0day use I just Google for stuff. I took in loads of info for the exams, then forgot half of it immediately.

@Maniac: RADIUS & IAS is what I'm working on at the moment. Can't get it to work yet, though.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,374 Times in 1,671 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by leco View Post
    I wouldn't say I was systematic exactly, however I have studied parts of it and other bits I've worked out as the need arose. I keep meaning to take it apart bit by bit (not literally) and get to proper grips with each part - but I never have enough time, so like many I Google.
    Me too. I have studied parts of it and I'm an Edugeeker, and then a Googler.I also print out the bits I find in the hope that I can refer back to it next time.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by OverWorked View Post
    @Maniac: RADIUS & IAS is what I'm working on at the moment. Can't get it to work yet, though.
    Took me about 2 weeks off and on to get it working with my Cisco 1200 series access points. Rolled the change out last week to all our acess points (after waiting for a month more on the old system to ensure all the laptops have picked up the new group policiy) So far only problem I've had is one set of laptops that had an additional wireless utility installed that didn't seem to like RADIUS, apart from that it was flawless. If you want I'll send you a link to the guides I used on Monday.

Mike.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread