Windows Event ID 13508 from ntfrs
Plenty of ideas to keep you going
I'm hoping someone can help me. I'm having issues getting a 3rd DC up and running.
We have 2 DCs that appear to be happily replicating AD and DNS (Active Directory Integrated) and the SYSVOL folders without a problem.
Am trying to add a 3rd DC (after we properly demoted an old one a while back). AD replicates fine, DNS (ADI) replicates fine, but SYSVOL is not replicating or even sharing on the new DC.
Getting an FRS Event ID 13508 in Event Viewer which basically says it can't talk to either of the other servers to do FRS. It is not followed by a 13509 to say it has made a connection.
According to MS the root cause of a 15308 is 'FRS was unable to create an RPC connection to a replication partner' - it's solution is to 'troubleshoot'... much help!
In AD Sites & Directories the original two DCs have both made automatic connections to the new DC but the new DC hasn't made any to the old DCs. I've tried creating them manually and forcing replication but this hasn't worked.
I've tried setting the BurFlags in regedit so that one of the old DCs (set to D4) was the Authoritative restore and the other DCs were non-authoratitive... didn't work - just rebuilt a new Netlogon folder and Policies folder.... meaning no scripts or policies worked until I manually copied them from the old folder to the new folder on of the original DCs - which then replicated to the other orginal DC without a problem.... but not the new DC.
Tried to demote the new DC back to a Member server but it won't demote as its says RPC is unavailable.... which backs up that there is a problem with RPC on the new DC .. but where do I go from here?
I'm stuck and need help!
I think I've tried all of them and still not succeeded. Managed to force the its removal as a DC and remove any left over traces (I think) from the AD. Tried to re-add it as a DC and I still get the same issue. Everything AD-wise replicates fine, but still refuses to replicate or share the sysvol folders.
I wonder if it is because the new server has the same name as an old DC (that was properly removed the domain though)... will give it a try on Monday with a different name for the new DC, unless anyone has any better ideas.
After a week or two of trying to fix this problem on and off, I found the solution.........
........ and did I feel stupid not trying this earlier.
Although this has never happend when I've installed DCs before, for some reason this particular server decided that it would turn on Windows Firewall..... turned the firewall off and it all started replicating happily!
There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)