+ Post New Thread
Windows Server 2000/2003 Thread, Quick question RE Backup software in Technical; Hi everyone Our school's backup software evaluation period has just run out, it's symantec back up exec 12.5 for windows ...

Thank Post

Quick question RE Backup software

Hi everyone
    Our school's backup software evaluation period has just run out, it's symantec back up exec 12.5 for windows servers. Just a couple of quick questions (as I can't find a uk contact number for symantec), it says it is licensed to one user - does that mean I can buy one copy and run it on both my servers aslong as I use one username?
    Also does sims require the SQL agent to back it up or will the standard backupexec back it up with out buying the overpriced agent add on. As far as I can see after looking in the 'sql' folder of sims it's just a .db file so I'm hopeful we won't need to get the agent, but an expert opinion would be appreciated before purchase.
    One last thing does anyone know if the current settings in the evaluation copy can just be migrated over easily? Unfortunately there's not an option to buy a license and just validate the trial.
    Cheers

Dave

Thank Post
    Just spoke to the council's sims team about the sql agent and they're referring it to capita, the guy had a feeling I'd need it though.

Thank Post
    I can't answer your questions, but I can give you UK numbers for Symantec.

Non technical support number regarding your licensing issue.

+44 (0) 870 243 1003

Technical support might be able to help with your migration query.

+44 (0) 870 606 6000

4. Thanks to maniac from:

dave20046 (15th January 2009)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dave20046 View Post
    Just spoke to the council's sims team about the sql agent and they're referring it to capita, the guy had a feeling I'd need it though.
    This doesn't appear to be a capita issue but a microsoft issue.

If you want a backup solution to actually communicate with the SQL database and take a backup as part of the process then yes you will need the agent.

It is also possible to get SIMS to create a backup for you of the database using cmd line tools in dbattach. This will create a flat file that can be backed up.

We use Ntbackup down here and have a series of scripts which backup the database into a specified folder each night as part of the backup.

Thank Post
    Thanks MCShammer, what are the actual benefits of having the SQL agent communicating with the database rather than just taking a flat copy?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by maniac View Post
    I can't answer your questions, but I can give you UK numbers for Symantec.

Non technical support number regarding your licensing issue.

+44 (0) 870 243 1003

Technical support might be able to help with your migration query.

+44 (0) 870 606 6000
    Cheers maniac, spoke to them they told me something useful. I was told by the reseller I would need to copies of backup exec which seemed a bit The blokes just told me (I guess he doesn't know how the servers are setup but it's the common school setup, DC and a simsserver) I can install the copy on my domain controller (core media server as he put it) then install an additional agent to cover the other server. Could someone extremely helpful please just double check what I'm about to purchase before I do?
    I'm looking at this: Buy Symantec Backup Exec 12.5 for Windows Server (14173718) :: eCostSoftware.com - UK Software Supplier with this and probably (for the sql) this
    Thanks

Thank Post
    The agent tends to clean up the temp files and ensure that the database down time is kept to a minimum. It also means there are less sepoerate sections that can go wrong.

What we do is to run a script which creates a .bak file in a specified location overwritting the previous one. This is named using our naming convention and included in the backup. Our script also ensures that specific named tapes are used on the correct day using ntbackup and then the report is named to the date and stored ina shared folder for the users to check

Thank Post
    it says it is licensed to one user - does that mean I can buy one copy and run it on both my servers aslong as I use one username?
    Pretty sure this is a no no. We use Backup Exec 11d here and I am certain that it can only be installed on one server. Apart from a licensing issue it makes it easier to manage and monitor your jobs as only one server is in chanrge of this role.

All subsequent servers must have an appropriate agent installed to back them up.

Also does sims require the SQL agent to back it up or will the standard backupexec back it up with out buying the overpriced agent add on.
    We have the SQL Agent installed here was installed before my time though. I imagine although I could be worng you could get away with the standard agent but you will need a scheduled task to stop the SIMS database before the backup and another to restart it once the backup completes.

Am sure that if I am wrong on any of the points someone on here will correct me

Thank Post
    Thankyou very much for that everyone I've decided the 3 products I linked to above are what we'll need...but somethings just crossed my mind, will I need another flippin agent for active directory or is there an alternate way to back it up?

Thank Post
    Thankyou very much for that everyone I've decided the 3 products I linked to above are what we'll need...but somethings just crossed my mind, will I need another flippin agent for active directory or is there an alternate way to back it up?
    active directory is normally backed up as the system state and should not need an agent

12. Thanks to Mcshammer_dj from:

dave20046 (15th January 2009)

Thank Post
    Thanks everyone got it ordered now

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread