+ Post New Thread
Windows Server 2000/2003 Thread, setting up an emergency server in Technical; Hello, Just wanted some advice on setting up an emergency server when our rebuild is taking place. Here is what ...
    Thank Post

setting up an emergency server

Hello,

Just wanted some advice on setting up an emergency server when our rebuild is taking place. Here is what i hope to achieve from the emergency server.

It to have a copy of SIMS server on in with robocopy copying across the sims backup daily so i can do a quick change over.

DNS/DHCP/Active Directory. Not sure on how the active directory will happen not 100% on how global catolog works.

Exchange 2003 enterprise server.

I can do the SIMS part and DNS and DHCP I am just confused with setting up a secondary exchange 2003 server. Is it possible?

Also As stated above Active Directory not 100% on how the server will cope if the master is down.

Thanks in advance guys

Ross

Thank Post
    Cant help you with the exchange bit, but for Active Directory, you may be better doing a System state backup to the machine, and creating a Domain controller from the backup if neccessary, otherwise you will get machines authenticating against your emergency server even if the other DC's are still alive.

Thank Post
    Why not consider using the Trial Version of Symantec Backup Exec System Recovery 8.x

This wil allow you to snapshot an entire server and restore to dis-similar hardware or create a Virtual Hard Disk image you can use with Virtual Server or VMWare whilst your system is upgraded/replaced.

I have used it several times now to move SBS2003 systems to a virtual environment and these are 2003 DC's with Exchange so there is no reason belive it couldn't do what you need.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,601 Times in 1,277 Posts
    Well from an initial point of view you need two domain controllers running Active Directory with DNS integration. The primary DNS server is usually also your DHCP server within a domain.

Now if you're intentionally going to take a server down, then you need to look at transfering roles. How are going to transfer/keep active two DHCP's? I can see this being a problem.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I dont know if this is possible, or the best way but it is just a thought.

Maybe you could take a snapshot of the Server's (DC, Exchange, SIMS) using VMware Converter, and then run every machine as a VM Temp while you re-build your servers.

Nothing will then change, it will just be like what you have now.. just in the virtual world..

Just a thought.. feel free to call me a prat!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Well from an initial point of view you need two domain controllers running Active Directory with DNS integration. The primary DNS server is usually also your DHCP server within a domain.

Now if you're intentionally going to take a server down, then you need to look at transfering roles. How are going to transfer/keep active two DHCP's? I can see this being a problem.
    You can run 2 dhcp servers on a network no problems, we've got 2 already, all you need to do is turn on conflict detection attempts, there is an MSKB article but it was a while ago i did it. I'm considering adding a third because if a fibre link goes down (big yellow digger issue) people don't get addresses and cant access local servers, going to pur a DC and DNS up there too.

7. Thanks to SkreeM1980 from:

Michael (9th January 2009)

Thank Post
    Have you got a link to that SkreeM1980?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Have you got a link to that SkreeM1980?
    I can't find it any more .. how strange

Basic procedure is

Follow instructions for transferring DHCP to another server How to move a DHCP database from a computer that is running Windows NT Server 4.0, Windows 2000, or Windows Server 2003 to a computer that is running Windows Server 2003

but don't disable the first and then on both DHCP server enable conflict detection attempts to 1

you will need to remember in future any updates to your DHCP need to be done on both i.e. dns server changes etc but it does work!

Regards

G

Thank Post
    Thanks SkreeM1980, I didn't know there was a conflict detection. Good to know so at least if one server goes down, the other continues serving IPs.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread