+ Post New Thread
Windows Server 2000/2003 Thread, Event Error 1054 on Windows Server 2003 (64 bit) in Technical; I've noticed this event log error coming up on two Proliant ML-115s running the 64 bit version of Windows Server ...
    Thank Post

Event Error 1054 on Windows Server 2003 (64 bit)

I've noticed this event log error coming up on two Proliant ML-115s running the 64 bit version of Windows Server 2003:

Event: 1054
    Windows cannot obtain the domain controller name for your computer network. (An unexpected network error occurred. ). Group Policy processing aborted.

I noticed it this morning about 9am and rebooted. At 14:57 event 1704 was logged:

Security policy in the Group policy objects has been applied successfully.

and then immediately afterwards event 1054.

I mention this is happening on two servers. I did a bit of research and found this on another forum:

Install the AMD Dual Core drivers.

AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 Dual Core Processor Driver for Windows XP and Windows Server 2003 Version

http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/cont...mdcupsetup.exe

I did this and updated the HP NIC drivers and the problem has disappeared on the other server.

The problem server is also a DC, do you think this has anything to do with it? I should point out that it's otherwise performing fine as a DC and logging users on without a problem. The SYSVOL replication is fine and there are no errors that I can see relating to any DC issues. It's just that this error is filling up the event log.

Thank Post
    An update on this:

It's been logging the error in the Application Event log every five minutes.

But earlier this morning it still reported "Security policy in the Group policy objects has been applied successfully." (event 1704).

I'm not sure where to go from here. It's not a driver issue as the problem has disappeared on the other server.

But it doesn't seem to be a DC issue as it's performing it's role perfectly in logging on computers (as far as I can tell). The other DC isn't reporting a problem and the SYSVOL folder is replicating between the two perfectly.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,663 Times in 2,260 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Hows your DNS, where does it point and are the foward and reverse records registered in the active DNS servers?

Thank Post
    This server isn't running DNS, but the server which does is fine. All forward and reverse records to this server are fine.

The problem is that this event error is so vague. I've spent the morning Googling results and there are issues relating to Gigabit NICs, DC locator DNS records, slow link detection, the AMD dual core drivers and several other things.

Thank Post
    I had the same problem with XP Desktop clients... they hated an SP3 image being put on them... if I used SP2 and put SP3 on after, they work fine... meant to come here and ask about it or I might have and forgot to look at any replies

Have you installed any updates or Service Packs which might have caused it to break?
    Last edited by DrPerceptron; 10th December 2008 at 03:28 PM. Reason: idea?

Thank Post
    RESOLVED (hopefully).

I implemented KB948496 patch and also made the following changes in the server's GP:

Group policy > Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > System > Net Logon > DC Locator DNS Records -
    ENABLED

Group policy > Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > System > Group Policy > Group Policy Slow Link Detection -
    ENABLED and set to 0

I've had no errors in the logs since I made the changes at noon yesterday.

For the record this is a Proliant ML115 running Windows Server 2003 Enterprise x64 Edition.

Thank Post
    Update: Didn't work. Event error 1054 appeared at 01:38, 08:39 and 10:02 - so not as frequent but still occurring.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread