+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Windows Server 2000/2003 Thread, Logmein proxy problem? in Technical; Hi, I am very interested in using the logmein remote access service. I have a PC at school with the ...
    Thank Post

Logmein proxy problem?

Hi, I am very interested in using the logmein remote access service.

I have a PC at school with the software installed. The computer can access the internet fine (eg google).

However, logmein fails to talk to it's server, so when I access me logmein account from a home computer, it tells me the school computer is offline. The school computer is definitely on, and has internet access.

Logmein knows about the proxy settings for the school, and IE has the proxy settings enabled (it accesses the internet no probs). Also, the logmein service is running (I get the message that Logmein is "enabled but offline").

Any ideas about what this could be? Hampshire LEA blocking logmein?

Thanks for your time and efforts.

That little bit in the middle of Little Old England
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,342 Times in 741 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Can you access the PC from within your school network using LogMeIn?

Thank Post
    >>Can you access the PC from within your school network using LogMeIn?

Well, from another PC on the school network, I can access the logmein website, but haven't tried accessing the PC from another PC on the schoolnetwork- to be honest, I'm not sure how to! I thought you have to access the pc via the logmein website? The trouble is that the PC I want to view can't access/connect to the logmein website in the first place to tell it 'I'm here and I'm alive and ready to be connected to'.

Thanks for any ideas

That little bit in the middle of Little Old England
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,342 Times in 741 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Yeah, that's what I meant - go to the LogMeIn site using another PC on your school network and log in and see if you can connect to the PC you have installed the LogMeIn software on.

From what you've said though it sounds like something is blocking the connection in the first place. Firewall software on the PC?

What do you get when you right click the LogMeIn icon in the Sys Tray and select Tools, Open Status Window. Anything interesting?
    Last edited by tech_guy; 14th September 2008 at 09:48 PM.

Thank Post
    Well, the icon on the computer does have a red cross on it, with a tooltip message 'enabled but offline'. Windows XP firewall is disabled by GPO on all machines, I've double checked this on the PC.

I got errors like 10060, and 'unable to connect to webgateway' and 'trying without proxy'. In IE, the proxy is enabled for all protocols, and bypassed for local addresses. The proxy server is a name, not an ip address.

This all seems to show proxy problems, but there isn't a firewall. Could it be the LEA blocking it with the proxy? I think the logmein product uses port 2002, and 443 - Is this an issue? Would I have to open 2002 on the proxy server ? Which I don't know how to do!

Thanks again.

Thank Post
    I'm going to try disabling the antivirus software (McAfee)- shouldn't be an issue but some support site suggest this. It's only antivirus, not the whole security suite thing.

Thank Post
    Our LEA blocks the ports for logmein but only during school times. In the evenings and weekends it's unblocked.
    Not very useful to me as I'm not inclined to work after my working day is finished.

Thank Post
    I had this problem before. do you have control of the netsweeper used by your school at all? You need to enter the https://secure.logmein.com and https://secure.logmein.com on the webfiltering allow list for it to work.

Let me know if i can help further.

Thank Post
    Hi Marvin, thanks for your post.

The broadband internet comes via the LEA. We don't have any control over the filtering of the websites, although I can access the logmein website fine, without any worries.

What I don't understand is that the computer I want to access can get to the internet, and it only uses ports 80 and 443- but I guess these are blocked someone or something. Can't figure out what. I presume it might be the LEA?

I tried removing McAfee, still no avail. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thank Post
    Does anyone know if port blocking or incoming access is set by windows server, or by the county internet supplier? Our SWAN internet line (?) is run by the county IT people (EdICT). I'm trying to see if there is anything I can do, or whether I need to contact EdICT, which I'd rather not do.

Thanks.

Thank Post
    I was sure Logmein tunnels over port 80/443. That's why it works well for most people.

Is Hampshire in the SWGfL? (I can't remember.) If so have you tried the staff proxy? (You may not have access to this if you're not secondary.)

HBJB

Thank Post
    Hi, I think Hampshire is SEGfL- but I'm very interested in the idea of a staff proxy, not heard of the before. Anyone know if SEGfL has this? Makes sense to have one... Maybe as we are primary, we don't get it.

Cheers.

Thank Post
    Very interesting post, and although I am unable to offer direct advice, we are also suffering the same problem since the past week or so with Lancashire county LEA. We also have no control over LEA filtered sites and are powerless to unblock said sites.

We have logmein free installed on our work machines and for some time have used logmein at home to connect to designated machines. However, since sometime last week they simply now just appear as offline, although we can only access the logmein rescue site (not secure.logmein.com). We even had to physically take our machines home to install the client software on the work machines (because the proxy wouldn't allow traffic to/from the site)!

Most frustrating indeed. I may have to resort to using hamachi in a virtual lan (which is slower and much less desirable), but none the less should work.

[Edit]
    Just noticed mention of staff proxy which we also have (for our separate admin network), but this also failed to work for us (but at least lets access to the website)! Unfortunately, because of the different network, we can't transfer it across.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,774 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Blog Entries
    LogMeIn is now considered an anonymous proxy tool by most RBCs / LAs and access to the site is blocked (or usually access to the authentication boxes). You have to specifically allow these to be able to connect. However, if you do this for the whole of your site you then allow students to be able to run the software on their home machines, then login to the website to tunnel over your network and use their home machine to access any sites they want.

You need to look at only having it accessible for specific machines. I am not sure of how the filtering is set up for Hants ... so yes, you needs to speak with the county support team. They are nice and won't bite ... too much ... as long as you can explain why you want to do this and understand what it opens up!

15. Thanks to GrumbleDook from:

dgsmith (16th September 2008)

Thank Post
    THanks for your continuing help.

I spoke with a friend who also works in a Hampshire school. He uses logmein without a problem - he gave me temporary access to check it out. All works fine, but frustratingly, all the settings are the same as what I have. We have the same broadband provider too. Obvious difference is that his school has an RM network, ours is not. We simply have Windows2k, and nothing else sitting on top of it. If anything, you would think that an RM network would make it more difficult.

Do you think a port is being blocked on my side of school, or at a county level?

Cheers for your help.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast