+ Post New Thread
Windows Server 2000/2003 Thread, Timestamp for database files not updating in Technical; We are trying to archive a lot of user data which is being saved in shared areas. I have used ...

Thank Post

Timestamp for database files not updating

We are trying to archive a lot of user data which is being saved in shared areas. I have used a script which successfully moved files not accessed within the time frame and all was well. Then we had a lot of calls that users database files are no longer there and looking at the details on file it shows that while the file has been modified recently the last accessed time is a long time ago.

I've had to modify my script to look at the last modified date, but this still doesn't solve the problem of why database files aren't being updated when accessed. I've read that this feature had been turned off on Server 2008 but I can't find anything related to Server 2003. As we are trying to migrate our files onto a new server, we don't want to transfer all our old "rubbish" so we had intended to archive files and then just move live data. Can anyone suggest where to start looking as it just seems a bit odd to me.

For example looking at the details on 1 particular file shows:
    Timestamp.PNG
    Why is the modified date later than the last accessed?
    Last edited by penfold; 25th April 2014 at 03:09 PM.

Thank Post
    OK, I've found that it looks like the last accessed time stamp has been disabled as changing the key 'NtfsDisableLastAccessUpdate' means that I can now see the time stamp updating. I never thought this was the issue originally as I read it should be enabled by default on Server 2003 and I have only just checked this setting (yeah I know I should have done it sooner). However I can now enable it but if I access the files properties the time stamp is updated so I any file that I test my archive script with will fail as the last accessed will obviously become today. Do you guys normally archive based on last modified or last accessed?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread