+ Post New Thread
Windows Server 2000/2003 Thread, Windows 7 / Server 2003 Roaming profile synchronization error at logoff (ntuser.pol) in Technical; Hi all, I have implemented Roaming Profiles for a few test users on Windows 7 PC's (Windows Server 2003) and ...

Thank Post

Angry Windows 7 / Server 2003 Roaming profile synchronization error at logoff (ntuser.pol)

Hi all,

I have implemented Roaming Profiles for a few test users on Windows 7 PC's (Windows Server 2003) and everything is working well aside from one error I'm seeing at logoff ('Your roaming user profile was not completely synchronized. See the event log for details or contact your administrator.')

The event log reveals event ID's 1504 and 1509. 1504 is flagging the fact that Windows cannot update the roaming profile completely. 1509 shows the following:

'Windows cannot copy file C:\Users\jtest\ntuser.pol to location \\server\Profiles$\jtest.V2\ntuser.pol. This error may be caused by network problems or insufficient security rights.

DETAIL - Cannot create a file when that file already exists.

Other observations:

• This issue occurs with all test users upon each logoff attempt except for the very first logoff, where there is no network share copy of ntuser.pol to get in the way.
    • Prior to logoff, the network share copy of ntuser.pol has an older timestamp than the local copy. This is not a cause or symptom but it leads me to believe updating the network copy of the file at logoff is normal/required behavior.
    • If I delete the network share copy of ntuser.pol prior to logoff the error does not occur. I don't suspect file permissions are the cause since I used the same user having difficulty logging off to delete the network share copy of the file.
    • ntuser.dat has no problem overwriting itself upon logoff.
    • I was able to repeat the problem with two windows 7 clients.
    • Disabling A/V on the server has no effect.

I've been all over the usual suspects (i.e. group policies affecting roaming profiles, file/folder permissions, installed every hotfix relating to roaming profiles and folder redirection, and googled every keyword) and came up empty. I confirmed offline caching for the profile share is disabled.

Does anyone know what may be going on here? I'd greatly appreciate a point in the right direction. Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Magnus_CA; 9th April 2014 at 07:20 PM.

Thank Post
    what if you delete the locally cached profile, then delete the profile from the server(s) and force it to re-create itself?

Thank Post
    No luck. It still won't overwrite the file. Thank you for the reply.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread