+ Post New Thread
Windows Server 2000/2003 Thread, HP Universal Printing problem : HELP!!! in Technical; We are using HP Universal print drivers since we upgraded to Windows 7. I have just added 2 new print ...

Thank Post

HP Universal Printing problem : HELP!!!

We are using HP Universal print drivers since we upgraded to Windows 7.

I have just added 2 new print queues pointing to existing printers.

Each time I look at printer properties on the server for these 2 queues the HP Universal Printing dialogue pops up and I cant get out of it.

It doesn't happen on the other queues.

Any ideas?

The 2 new queues were created for papercut accounting.
    Last edited by fiza; 30th January 2014 at 12:01 PM.

Thank Post
    Each time I want to look at the printer properties on the server I get this HP box :

upd issue.JPG

Its doing my head in!!!

If I look at the printer from my Win7 64bit PC I can open printer properties but when I click on Device settings the box closes.

Thank Post
    *bump*

Thank Post
    did you just add the printer using the driver or use the installation tool ?

I ask because when I added ours here to our print server, I just did the whole update driver thing when adding them, not any software installation.

Admittedly we only have a single HP laserjet here nowadays, but I would never contemplate doing the manufacturers install for them, I found it easier to just extract the driver and add the device with the minimal driver by pointing it at the driver directory during installation.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by rich_tech View Post
    did you just add the printer using the driver or use the installation tool ?

I ask because when I added ours here to our print server, I just did the whole update driver thing when adding them, not any software installation.

Admittedly we only have a single HP laserjet here nowadays, but I would never contemplate doing the manufacturers install for them, I found it easier to just extract the driver and add the device with the minimal driver by pointing it at the driver directory during installation.
    I used the same UPD PCL5 driver I have for all the other print queues. It was already installed so the option was "keep existing driver" which I said yes to. Didn't do any software install.

Thank Post
    Don't use universal drivers, they cause nothing but problems.

If you are using PaperCut for a follow me printer, use the driver of the highest spec machine i.e. one with finisher etc on, universal drivers can cause problems were parts of the print go missing. If you need to use a universal one use something like the HP LaserJet or LaserJet 4/5 they work better.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MatthewL View Post

If you are using PaperCut for a follow me printer, use the driver of the highest spec machine i.e. one with finisher etc on, universal drivers can cause problems were parts of the print go missing. If you need to use a universal one use something like the HP LaserJet or LaserJet 4/5 they work better.
    Sorry I thought there was only 1 upd ? Are there different ones?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MatthewL View Post

This, a million times this; every time someone uses the HP universal driver God kills a kitten. I've had two healthy print servers where after that driver was installed it hosed them. Printers that were successfully being deployed via VBscript and even GPP where throwing sporadic cryptic errors on the clients even though those specific queues weren't using the Universal Driver. It installs new port types and services on the print server. Nothing short of a complete reload of the server fixed the issue.

As already stated, use real model specific drivers, or better yet, Microsoft provided drivers even if they aren't an exact match on the model. As long as they support the same printer features you should be OK.

9. Thanks to Duke5A from:

MatthewL (5th February 2014)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread