+ Post New Thread
Windows Server 2000/2003 Thread, MSSQL on Server 2003 R2 in Technical; Morning, I have inherited a Windows Server 2003 R2 which keeps filling. I've tracked it down to this folder; C:\WINDOWS\SYSMSI\SSEE\MSSQL.2005\MSSQL\LOG ...

Thank Post

MSSQL on Server 2003 R2

Morning,

I have inherited a Windows Server 2003 R2 which keeps filling. I've tracked it down to this folder;

C:\WINDOWS\SYSMSI\SSEE\MSSQL.2005\MSSQL\LOG

It's generating 18 files a minute (6 logs, 6 minidumps and 6 text files) from about 9am to 5 the following am. I've done some googling and found lots of results about how to stop the ldf growing too big, but none about what to do if it's filling with errors, or more importantly what this folder is actually for! Obviouslt MSSQL, but to do what?

Any help would be appreciated as at the moment I am just emptying the folder every morning.

Thank you

Stuart

Thank Post
    Anyone please?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,214 Times in 761 Posts
    This is basically the log folder for the SQL instance itself (not to be confused with transaction logs for the database).

The files there are not data-critical, so you can safely remove them as you have been doing, but if that many are being generated you have an underlying problem with SQL Server that should not be ignored. Examine the log files to find out what's wrong, as well as the system Event log.

4. Thanks to AngryTechnician from:

Jawloms (26th September 2013)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by AngryTechnician View Post
    This is basically the log folder for the SQL instance itself (not to be confused with transaction logs for the database).

The files there are not data-critical, so you can safely remove them as you have been doing, but if that many are being generated you have an underlying problem with SQL Server that should not be ignored. Examine the log files to find out what's wrong, as well as the system Event log.
    Thanks for your reply. I've had a look through the log files and I can't see anything obvious in there telling me what's wrong, I haven't checked the event log yet. I know it's the log folder for the SQL instance, but what SQL instance? Why is SQL installed in this server and how do I find out what this instance is used for?

Stuart

Thank Post
    Never come across it before, but this seems like a good overview: Administering your Windows Internal Database MICROSOFT##SSEE instance (also: Windows Internal Database - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia).

As to why it's filling up your hard drive - if it's anything like 'normal' SQL Server you'll have a file called errorlog.x which contains hopefully useful info - find the most recent one, open it in a text editor and start at the bottom and work up.

Seems odd that the files are created during certain times only - have you got any scheduled things happening that tie in with the activity?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread