+ Post New Thread
Windows Server 2000/2003 Thread, Printer Problems. in Technical; Hey guys, I'm hoping someone has the answer to a problem I ran into a few hours ago, and is ...

Thank Post

Printer Problems.

Hey guys, I'm hoping someone has the answer to a problem I ran into a few hours ago, and is causing much annoyance!

I got a call that a network printer (a Konica MM 5670EN) wasn't printing, and print jobs were just hanging in the queue. I cleared out the queue and restarted the print spool and the printer to no avail, which led me to think that it was a connection issue, though I noted that when the printer was off it's state didn't change to offline. Visiting the printer's IP from the server, I was able to access it's web management features. I tested some other (Konica) printers using the same driver and they all worked perfectly, so I decided to go for an easy fix: delete and reinstall the printer. Mistake. The printer failed to delete, but now attempting to do anything with it (double clicking in devices and printers, right click-properties etc.) results in:

Code:
    Printer properties cannot be displayed. Either the printer name was typed incorrectly, or the specified printer has lost its connection to the server. For more information click help
    Okay. I'll just change the printer's IP and create a new printer and deal with that mess later.. except newly added printers aren't showing up in Devices & Printers either. Added drivers appear, and if I add several with the same name, they increment the name - (i) - so something is happening, but I don't see the printer or get the test page after the wizard closes.

Now, I admit that I haven't tried a full restart yet (scheduled overnight), but I wanted to get a head start in case that doesn't work. It's only the second day back, so I'm still a little dazed - am I missing something obvious? Any ideas?

Thanks

Thank Post
    Nothing in the event log ?

Thank Post
    We have Fingerprint installed (to allow printing from iPads) and as soon as I restarted the Spooler that went a little crazy (as in 20 errors a second) as it stopped the Fingerprint service, but that's understandable I suppose. Nevertheless, I killed the FP app, and the errors stopped but the problems persisted. There was an error about the RM print service (we're CC4 - can't remember the exact service name now) so I restarted the RM Service Host and Printer Credits services, with no changes. I couldn't see anything I deemed relevant from the OS, but I'll have another look tomorrow. I'm hoping it's just some obscure bug that will be cured with a restart, because I don't have many ideas =/

Thank Post
    Well, I came in this morning to find everything functioning as it should - the printer was deleted and new printers had all appeared, which is both an annoyance and relief at the same time. No idea what happened, but it seems to be functioning, so I should probably count my blessings. I was ready to be battling this all morning and beyond!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread