+ Post New Thread
Windows Server 2000/2003 Thread, Server secret password will not authenticate with domain in Technical; Hi All, Strange one this, our terminal server lost connection during an electrical outage although it was still running on ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 749 Posts

Server secret password will not authenticate with domain

Hi All,
    Strange one this, our terminal server lost connection during an electrical outage although it was still running on UPS the switch it was connected too was not, this has cause it to lose its authentication with the DC, I have tried all the usual things but the problem lies in that there is no domain account (even cached) to authenticate with the DC, although I can get logged in using the local admin account it doesn't have the rights to join the server back to the domain or even change it to a workgroup so that I can rejoin the domain.

Has anyone ever come across this?

How did they sort?

Would appreciate as I have covered everything that I know or have researched and my brain hurts!

Appreciated

Bossman

Thank Post
    Update:

Have built new server as a VM and will continue to test, thanks to all those 148 people who have viewed, after much research it seems that I don't have any choice but to rebuild from scratch.

Even IDR failed so its back to the drawing board regarding DRP

Cheers

Thank Post
    TBH, if you can login locally with a admin account, and if you have domain hanging rights, you should be able to unhang and rehang without issue....

If you can't get in locally, then reset the local accounts using a boot able disk...

Thank Post
    @MordyT:

Thank you for your reply,

It would seem such a simple thing to rejoin it to the Domain but there in lies the problem?

Even with the local Administrator account you would think that it would have the permissions but no, its because the OS has somehow managed to unjoin from the domain yet still have domain credentials attached to it and no cached domain passwords,

I have trawled every piece of knowledgebase but to no avail, as I have said even using IDR backup with our DRP it still won't join the domain.

Have a good day

Thank Post
    Are you saying you can't unjoin it from the domain? Set into workgroup?

If you can do that, reboot, and then try to rejoin. If that fails, can you ping the DC? What error messages do you get? Anything in event log?

This is a windows system, right?

Thank Post
    @MordyT:

Update: Unplugged server from the network and into a spare unmanaged switch which had a Virtual DC server attached with a different FQDN and then changed the domain name after adding the accounts to the DC of both the local admin of the TS server and an admin account from the TS (Original name and password), this after 5 mins worked and this allowed me to change it to a workgroup which in turn when I rejoined it to the original domain which it came from worked so all is back up and running.

Seems that there was no explanation as to why I couldn't join it back to the domain or to a workgroup in the first place but all is well now thanks.

Thank Post
    I was under the impression that you did not need domain credentials to remove from the domain. You could literally type a for the username and password and be fine.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread