+ Post New Thread
Windows Server 2000/2003 Thread, Exchange Server 2003, relay all meesages after GMail Migration in Technical; Hi, We have just migrated our mail to Google Apps. All new messages to and from the schools mail account ...

Thank Post

Exchange Server 2003, relay all meesages after GMail Migration

Hi,

We have just migrated our mail to Google Apps. All new messages to and from the schools mail account are all working OK except for messages generated from within the internal network, such as printers, scanners, accounts software etc. These messages are still be routed to the Exchange server and end up in users mailboxes on the exchange server.

Is there a way to force all messages that arrive at the Exchange Server to be re-directed to the GMail server. I have looked into this an it appears to be linked to setting up a Smart Host [smtp.gmail.com] but this does not seem to be working. The Exchange Server was set up by someone else and they have configured an SMTP Virtual Server instead of a SMTP Connector. If I add a connector mail still gets routed to the SMTP Virtual Server first.

Do I just need to remove the virtual server and configure the connector?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated

James

Thank Post
    I don't know 2003 well enough off the top of my head. Sorry. Maybe @sukh can help

Thank Post
    Does google give you your own smtp dns name ? i.e. SMTP.SCHOOLNAME.co.uk ? or mail.schoolname.co.uk

if so have you changed your internal DNS entrys IP address to poiint to the new external IP ?

Or have i miss-read and you actually want to keep it all internal and just want to forward on all the messages to your google apps mailboxs
    Last edited by 2097; 13th June 2013 at 09:02 AM.

Thank Post
    Hi 2097,

We do not have our own SMTP server, the instructions say we need to use smtp.gmail.com or another server, depends on if you are authenticating or not.

Or have i miss-read and you actually want to keep it all internal and just want to forward on all the messages to your google apps mailboxs

You are correct, I think. I would like to relay any message that now arrives at our internal Exchange Server to GMail's servers. I have configured various SMTP connectors/Virtual Servers but messages that have mailboxes on the Exchange Server get delivered to these mail boxes and not relayed.

Thank Post
    I think the best way if you want to keep local copy's as well as forwarding on to a external system would just set the individual Mailbox to forward onto the appropriate external mailbox . This can obviously be done in exchange or with the AD addon .

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    we just put in a simple linux virtual machine for relaying internal email to gmail - a lot simpler to look after than a full blown exchange server.
    It might be an option for you. Otherwise, the internet says you can do it on exchange like this: PeteNetLive - KB0000542 - Allow a Server to "Relay" Through Microsoft Exchange

Thank Post
    As long as the recipients exist and those net devices are using Exch as an relay it will deliver there. When Exch does recipient res, it will find the users in AD and deliver. Either use Google relay if they have one, of remove those recipients and create contacts.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread