+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 22
Windows Server 2000/2003 Thread, Time Server DNS Issue: Help in Diagnosis Needed in Technical; Follow up to a previous thread: http://www.edugeek.net/forums/window...ime-issue.html I am struggling with the simple issue of setting up our server to ...
  1. #1
    Andie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Cambridgeshire
    Posts
    806
    Thank Post
    169
    Thanked 66 Times in 49 Posts
    Rep Power
    30

    Unhappy Time Server DNS Issue: Help in Diagnosis Needed

    Follow up to a previous thread:

    Server Time Issue

    I am struggling with the simple issue of setting up our server to get time from an authoritative source. I am also struggling with getting my issue across to our Internet provider (Updata). They say they have unblocked ports to requested ntp servers, but that we must have a local DNS issue that is still causing problems. I have checked various registry settings as per the last thread, and all seems to be set up correctly. However, I am still hitting a brick wall with getting correct time.

    Please can some wise Edugeek member look at the attached file where I have copied and annotated the various errors I am getting from the server, cmd, etc.? If you can shed light on this in simple English, it may help me get the right response from Updata...! Thank you.
    Attached Files Attached Files

  2. #2


    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    In the server room, with the lead pipe.
    Posts
    4,715
    Thank Post
    288
    Thanked 789 Times in 616 Posts
    Rep Power
    226
    I'd agree with Updata - until your server (ms-lnm-server.asjs.internal) can provide a valid dns response, ignore the whole ntp issue.

    Where does ms-lnm-server.asjs.internal go to for external DNS queries?
    Does an nslookup for google.com (for example) work?
    How about uk.pool.ntp.org? (you'll get a different IP every few queries (hence "pool")).

  3. Thanks to pete from:

    Andie (17th April 2013)

  4. #3

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Deal, Kent
    Posts
    343
    Thank Post
    12
    Thanked 73 Times in 51 Posts
    Rep Power
    27
    Looks like either DNS has not got forwarders configured (right click server name in DNS, properties, forwarders) or that it hasn't got internet access to access these forwarders.

    The only other thing is something is preventing this query (firewall on server / hardware firewall on gateway?).

    Simon

  5. Thanks to Psymon from:

    Andie (17th April 2013)

  6. #4
    Andie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Cambridgeshire
    Posts
    806
    Thank Post
    169
    Thanked 66 Times in 49 Posts
    Rep Power
    30
    Quote Originally Posted by pete View Post
    I'd agree with Updata - until your server (ms-lnm-server.asjs.internal) can provide a valid dns response, ignore the whole ntp issue.

    Where does ms-lnm-server.asjs.internal go to for external DNS queries?
    Does an nslookup for google.com (for example) work?
    How about uk.pool.ntp.org? (you'll get a different IP every few queries (hence "pool")).
    Thanks, this is really helpful. I needed to know where the issue was, and wasn't sure that I was explaining things to Updata enough for them to be giving me an accurate response. I don't get a response from google or the pool either.

  7. #5
    Andie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Cambridgeshire
    Posts
    806
    Thank Post
    169
    Thanked 66 Times in 49 Posts
    Rep Power
    30
    Quote Originally Posted by Psymon View Post
    Looks like either DNS has not got forwarders configured (right click server name in DNS, properties, forwarders) or that it hasn't got internet access to access these forwarders.

    The only other thing is something is preventing this query (firewall on server / hardware firewall on gateway?).

    Simon
    Thanks. I don't have any forwarders or conditional forwarders listed in properties. This is all completely new to me so I'm off to work out my next step...! Great to have some help from you guys so I know where to look.

  8. #6

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Deal, Kent
    Posts
    343
    Thank Post
    12
    Thanked 73 Times in 51 Posts
    Rep Power
    27
    In the forwarders use 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 for now - these are google's DNS servers. That should solve your problem. You should be given DNS servers by your ISP which you can also use - i find google's are pretty reliable and responsive.

    Forwarders are used when your server does not have the DNS record your client is asking for - so you need external DNS to help it on it's way.

    Simon

  9. Thanks to Psymon from:

    Andie (17th April 2013)

  10. #7
    Andie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Cambridgeshire
    Posts
    806
    Thank Post
    169
    Thanked 66 Times in 49 Posts
    Rep Power
    30
    Quote Originally Posted by Psymon View Post
    In the forwarders use 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 for now - these are google's DNS servers. That should solve your problem. You should be given DNS servers by your ISP which you can also use - i find google's are pretty reliable and responsive.

    Forwarders are used when your server does not have the DNS record your client is asking for - so you need external DNS to help it on it's way.

    Simon
    I have just tried adding 8.8.8.8 to Forwarders, and after a few seconds it came back with Unable to Resolve......?

  11. #8

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Deal, Kent
    Posts
    343
    Thank Post
    12
    Thanked 73 Times in 51 Posts
    Rep Power
    27
    Sounds like the DNS server has no internet access then - do you have a firewall in place that could be blocking it?

    Also - considering your machine has internet access (and I assume everyone else on site does) - what are your DNS settings if they are not pointing to an internal erver? Are all of your network's PCs going straight to external DNS?

    You could find this out by posting the result of the following cmd "ipconfig /all" - I have a strange feeling that this DNS server is not doing very much if it hasn't got any forwarders.
    Last edited by Psymon; 17th April 2013 at 01:09 PM.

  12. #9

    Geoff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Fylde, Lancs, UK.
    Posts
    11,850
    Thank Post
    110
    Thanked 598 Times in 514 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Rep Power
    227
    I imagine your RBC has DNS servers and blocks all other DNS traffic at the border, forcing you to use their DNS.

  13. #10
    Andie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Cambridgeshire
    Posts
    806
    Thank Post
    169
    Thanked 66 Times in 49 Posts
    Rep Power
    30
    Quote Originally Posted by Psymon View Post
    Sounds like the DNS server has no internet access then - do you have a firewall in place that could be blocking it?

    Also - considering your machine has internet access (and I assume everyone else on site does) - what are your DNS settings if they are not pointing to an internal erver? Are all of your network's PCs going straight to external DNS?

    You could find this out by posting the result of the following cmd "ipconfig /all" - I have a strange feeling that this DNS server is not doing very much if it hasn't got any forwarders.
    All of our machines can access the Internet fine for everyday use. ipconfig /all shows the correct IP address of our server in DNS Servers. But I have run tracert -d 8.8.8.8 at command prompt. That shows I can get to the router, then two other IP addresses starting with 10.112 after that and then timeout. Does that mean anything?

  14. #11

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Deal, Kent
    Posts
    343
    Thank Post
    12
    Thanked 73 Times in 51 Posts
    Rep Power
    27
    I find it pretty bizarre that your machines can use the internet for everyday use when you have no forwarders populated on the DNS server.

    If a DNS record does not exist on your server (which in all likeliness bbc.co.uk / google.co.uk / edugeek.net etc... do not, as it's a private DNS server), then it doesn't know where to go to get the correct IP for the website to provide it to your machines.

    Unless you are using root hints for everything which is a possibility?
    Last edited by Psymon; 17th April 2013 at 01:51 PM.

  15. #12
    Andie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Cambridgeshire
    Posts
    806
    Thank Post
    169
    Thanked 66 Times in 49 Posts
    Rep Power
    30
    Quote Originally Posted by Psymon View Post
    I find it pretty bizarre that your machines can use the internet for everyday use when you have no forwarders populated on the DNS server.

    If a DNS record does not exist on your server (which in all likeliness bbc.co.uk / google.co.uk / edugeek.net etc... do not, as it's a private DNS server), then it doesn't know where to go to get the correct IP for the website to provide it to your machines.

    Unless you are using root hints for everything which is a possibility?
    There seem to be a lot of entries in root hints, and it is set up to use that if all else fails. But I don't understand why I can't get to the time server.

  16. #13
    Andie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Cambridgeshire
    Posts
    806
    Thank Post
    169
    Thanked 66 Times in 49 Posts
    Rep Power
    30
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
    I imagine your RBC has DNS servers and blocks all other DNS traffic at the border, forcing you to use their DNS.
    Is RBC our regional broadband consortium? We are part of E2BN, but Updata are our ISP. And I can't get the E2BN time server to resolve either.

  17. #14

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Deal, Kent
    Posts
    343
    Thank Post
    12
    Thanked 73 Times in 51 Posts
    Rep Power
    27
    It is definately a DNS issue - as DNS cannot provide your machine with the IP address of time.windows.com.

    I was suggesting you ping the IP of time.windows.com (65.55.21.23) but microsoft block all pings...

    Can you resolve bbc.co.uk / google.co.uk etc...?
    Last edited by Psymon; 17th April 2013 at 01:58 PM.

  18. #15
    Andie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Cambridgeshire
    Posts
    806
    Thank Post
    169
    Thanked 66 Times in 49 Posts
    Rep Power
    30
    Quote Originally Posted by Psymon View Post

    Can you resolve bbc.co.uk / google.co.uk etc...?
    No, as I said earlier in a reply to @pete, nslookup times out for google, bbc, etc.



SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Mountain Lion Server DNS issues
    By caffrey in forum Mac
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 9th October 2012, 02:35 PM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10th March 2010, 12:56 PM
  3. Need to review server setups please help!
    By jamin100 in forum Wireless Networks
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 7th July 2008, 10:16 AM
  4. Pay in schools???? Help and advise needed
    By gibbo_ap in forum General Chat
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 18th April 2008, 11:53 AM
  5. Replies: 8
    Last Post: 22nd February 2008, 01:34 PM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •