+ Post New Thread
Windows Server 2000/2003 Thread, Dns based on AD OU in Technical; Hi We don't have ISA server or any filtering on our site - its all based at the ISP end. ...

Thank Post

Dns based on AD OU

Hi

We don't have ISA server or any filtering on our site - its all based at the ISP end.

I'm trying to unblock youtube for staff but not pupils. Youtube https is currently blocked in DNS by giving it a false IP address

One way I can do it is if it change DNS on the client to the router and they can access it via HTTPS

Is there a way via regedit or logon script to add the DNS entry based on whether its staff or pupils login on.

Thanks

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I haven't used it in a while, but I think what you are after is the "Hosts" file which windows checks before asking DNS to resolve. (hosts (file) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

A better solution is to use something like AB-Tutor or NetOps which usually include filter rules to you can block for students in there rather than mucking about with DNS and effecting all users.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by karldenton View Post
    Hi

We don't have ISA server or any filtering on our site - its all based at the ISP end.

I'm trying to unblock youtube for staff but not pupils. Youtube https is currently blocked in DNS by giving it a false IP address

One way I can do it is if it change DNS on the client to the router and they can access it via HTTPS

Is there a way via regedit or logon script to add the DNS entry based on whether its staff or pupils login on.

Thanks
    Look into per-user/group/machine/ou firewall rules in a GPO instead?

Say...if user=staffgroup and destination = youtube URLs, then allow, else drop.

Filter via usergroup or apply on a per-OU basis, depending on how you're setup. You'll probably have to fiddle with it a bit.

Alternatively, ask your ISP to allow youtube for IPRange and set reservations for staff devices.

I really wouldn't start pointing windows clients at DNS servers that aren't AD-linked if you're using AD.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread