Windows Server 2000/2003 Thread, Server 2003 R2 - Having a mare! in Technical; Our DCs here are both server 2008 and we have out MIS currently sitting on a Win2003 box. This has ...
16th January 2013, 12:23 PM #1
Server 2003 R2 - Having a mare!
Our DCs here are both server 2008 and we have out MIS currently sitting on a Win2003 box. This has been this way for over a year and we haven't had any issues with it at all, until today.
I arrived in this morning with people telling me that they couldn't access our MIS and when I checked the server itself all appears to be working as it should. But when clients try to access the shortcut they receive an error saying that the network connection could not be found.
When pinging this server there was no response.
I rebooted the server and it fired up all OK and I could ping it again. Great me thinks but then after approx 30 mins the ping started to come back with 'Request timed out'.
This has now been repeated twice.
Looking into the event logs on the server, the only think I can across at the time the connection was lost is:
event id 40960 source lsasrv spnego
This server has x2 nics and only 1 is enabled.
Any ideas are as usually greatly appreciated.
IDG Tech News
18th February 2013, 04:49 AM #2
What is MIS?
Firstly if you can't access the server remotelly you should do your standard network troubleshooting
1) Check NIC is working
2) Check Network cable
3) Check switch
18th February 2013, 08:07 AM #3
Perhaps enable the second NIC and swap the connection to that?
18th February 2013, 09:20 AM #4
Hi there, at the time I did swap the connection over to the 2nd nic but that didn't work.
In the end I gave the server a different up and all started working again!
18th February 2013, 09:53 AM #5
Sounds like a IP clash. Although there should be something in the system log to indicate that.
Can you still ping the old IP, that would confirm that.
18th February 2013, 11:19 AM #6
I've seen something similar but it did affect several servers. The cause was the LEA directly attached router (proving access to the LEA intranet) responding to ARP requests. Someone in the LEA had set up a test network on the same IP address range as our network. We worked around it by pulling the plug on the intranet until they dropped the test network.
18th February 2013, 08:23 PM #7
At the time there was nothing in the system to indicate an IP clash. We could ping the server using the correct IP address etc and when the server was disconnected to ping lost connection too.
It was odd, very odd!. I just changed the IP and reconfigured the SQL native client alias for the MIS software and all worked and still works a treat.
By j17sparky in forum Windows
Last Post: 27th November 2006, 03:07 PM
Last Post: 16th November 2006, 07:35 PM
By tosca925 in forum Windows
Last Post: 28th June 2006, 10:39 PM
By edie209 in forum Windows
Last Post: 23rd June 2006, 03:47 PM
By CM786 in forum Windows
Last Post: 24th May 2006, 08:45 AM
Users Browsing this Thread
There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)