+ Post New Thread
Windows Server 2000/2003 Thread, HP Dl320s 6TB Storage Server in Technical; Hi, We have a HP Dl320s 6tb Storage server on site that came pre-installed with Windows Storage Server 2003 R2 ...

Thank Post

HP Dl320s 6TB Storage Server

Hi,

We have a HP Dl320s 6tb Storage server on site that came pre-installed with Windows Storage Server 2003 R2 x86. We are trying to find a way of upgrading the OS to a 64 bit version be it 2003 Storage Server x64 or later. The thing is I can't seem to find any information on whether this is actually possible and if it is would it require a full rebuild of the RAIDS or an entirely new SAN altogether.

From what I can find out from the hardware it does have a 64 bit processor so should be able to support it but I am being told that these systems will only work with the OS that is on them when they are delivered, can anyone confirm this? also if this is the case can anyone recommend a good system to replace ours?

Cheers.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,406 Times in 1,862 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Badaz52 View Post
    Hi,

We have a HP Dl320s 6tb Storage server on site that came pre-installed with Windows Storage Server 2003 R2 x86. We are trying to find a way of upgrading the OS to a 64 bit version be it 2003 Storage Server x64 or later. The thing is I can't seem to find any information on whether this is actually possible and if it is would it require a full rebuild of the RAIDS or an entirely new SAN altogether.

From what I can find out from the hardware it does have a 64 bit processor so should be able to support it but I am being told that these systems will only work with the OS that is on them when they are delivered, can anyone confirm this? also if this is the case can anyone recommend a good system to replace ours?

Cheers.
    Windows Storage Server is an OEM installed and configured system - so, the only way to do any form of OS upgrade on it would be to talk to the company that sold it. You can't do a 32bit to 64bit update for any Windows server OS - it has to be a full re-install, and you can't get hold of Storage Server without being an OEM in the first place.

The question is, what do you want it to do? If its just going to be an iSCSI target, take a look at something like OpenFiler or normal Windows Server 2012, which can host iSCSI targets.
    Last edited by localzuk; 7th January 2013 at 03:43 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    Windows Storage Server is an OEM installed and configured system - so, the only way to do any form of OS upgrade on it would be to talk to the company that sold it. You can't do a 32bit to 64bit update for any Windows server OS - it has to be a full re-install, and you can't get hold of Storage Server without being an OEM in the first place.

The question is, what do you want it to do? If its just going to be an iSCSI target, take a look at something like OpenFiler or normal Windows Server 2012, which can host iSCSI targets.
    At the moment it is running Backup Exec 2012. It runs perfectly fine until we want to backup Exchange 2010 mailboxes and of course it requires a 64 bit media server to do it. I have spoken with the company that installed it and they seem uncertain of what to do and have basically told me about the OEM issue but suggested they could sell me a new copy of storage server for me to install but the last thing I want to do is tackle a full re-install of this on my own as it is where all our backups are stored daily.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread