+ Post New Thread
Windows Server 2000/2003 Thread, Exchange mail server authentication problem in Technical; We're currently in the process of transferring our broadband supplier from the company which provides our email to BT infinity. ...

Thank Post

Exchange mail server authentication problem

We're currently in the process of transferring our broadband supplier from the company which provides our email to BT infinity. When we switch the cabling over, we are disconnected from external emails - incoming ones queue up, and outgoing ones give a "550 relay not permitted" error when they bounce back. Internet connection works fine on the new system, so that's not the problem.

Obviously this must be to do with mail server authentication - as it works fine when we go back to the email provider's connection. However, the details in the mail server have been rolled over from at least two previous setups and I have no idea where the authentication information needs to go. Where would I look to input the details, as I've found various places. The fact we've been using this company since 1998 and they won't co-operate with the migration isn't really helping matters...

Any help gratefully received, as the kids come back on Thursday and we need it transferred before that if possible.

Thank Post
    Ask your new provider fot their SMTP relay host, then set Exchange to use this for the transport.

Rob

Thank Post
    Sorry just re-read it..

What does the e-mail provider do for you ?

Rob

Thank Post
    Rob - Timico are the company in question. Currently they provide internet, SMTP relay and other bits for the website. The internet connection part is being transferred. However, having finally got through to someone on their support desk who seems to know what they're talking about, they're going to authenticate our new IP address to connect to their system. Still refused to give me the username and password for our account though...

DT2
    Lakeville, Carleton County, New Brunswick
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by smurfomatic View Post
    Rob - Timico are the company in question. Currently they provide internet, SMTP relay and other bits for the website. The internet connection part is being transferred. However, having finally got through to someone on their support desk who seems to know what they're talking about, they're going to authenticate our new IP address to connect to their system. Still refused to give me the username and password for our account though...
    I'd be quoting Data Proctection Act, you have a right to access and correct any data held on you.... Usernames and passwords fall under that jurisdiction.
    See if they refuse then....

Thank Post
    DT2 - frankly, I can't be bothered. We're reviewing all our IT infrastructure and (if I get my way!) we won't be using their services for much longer.

7. Thanks to smurfomatic from:

DT2 (7th January 2013)

Thank Post
    Ahh I see.

We don't bother with a third part relay for outbound, just do direct delivery. and Our MX for our domain points to our Static IP.

So we are not dependant on any single 3rd party mailhost.

Rob

Thank Post
    Rob - how easy is it to configure a server for direct delivery? Never having done it before, it sounds like an ideal solution but don't want to risk losing our connection to the outside world!

Thank Post
    you ask the ISP (BT) to put a reverse pointer record on your static IP. ( many mailservers now reject connections from servers without a reverse IP )

it should be "dns.registration@BT.com" or at least it is for .NET services .

you then get whoever manages your DNS for your domain to point your MX record at your IP.

That's the easy bit.

You then have to configure Exchange for direct delivery. However ... We run a onsite relay that does inbound/outbound and filters the spam/malware/etc... ( ClearOS 5.2)

Rob

Thank Post
    I'd advise you to do it yourself. You can either have the built in spam/av agents on the Exch server enabled or use a 3rd party product. FPE 2010 isn't available now for purchase. Creating a Send Connector is simply easy and just configure it to use internal DNS lookups for MX resolution.

Just make sure your AD DNS works.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread