+ Post New Thread
Windows Server 2000/2003 Thread, New to Windows Server 2003 in Technical; Good morning, I was wondering if people on here could help me out. I am relatively new to Windows Server ...

Thank Post

New to Windows Server 2003

Good morning,

I was wondering if people on here could help me out.

I am relatively new to Windows Server 2003, and was wondering if people could advise some good reads to get myself up to speed on Windows Server 2003. IE, group policy work, Profiles, Assigning IP's that kinda thing.

The school where I work have a windows server 2003 in place which is running well, but I have just got access to work on it directly (previously ran by Local Council).

Also if possible very quickly could someone explain how to assign a specific IP to a device, got a couple of access points that I wanted to get installed to a couple of areas that are suffering majorly without Wi-Fi.

Thank you in advance and I know this is the kind of question where knowledge is learned over time with experience, however I need to make sure I am heading in the right direction.

Many thanks.

Thank Post
    hi, i would recommend mark minasi's mastering windows server 2003 book its massive but covers alot.
    for the specific IP address for devices you could assign a static address on the device in the access points web management tool.

or a better way from a management point of view would be to assing a reservation in your DHCP scope (you will need the mac address of the accesspoints lan point)
    there is the add reservation option in the dhcp manager under admin tools from the start menu.

Thank Post
    or a better way from a management point of view would be to assing a reservation in your DHCP scope (you will need the mac address of the accesspoints lan point)
    there is the add reservation option in the dhcp manager under admin tools from the start menu.
    I was thinking the same, use dhcp reservations for the ap's, of just go to the ap's ip address in a web browser and their will most likely be an option to set a static ip in the browser window

Thank Post
    book for dummies is quite good read but i would have to agree with SHimmer45,mark minasi's mastering windows server 2003 book is the best one.

For reserving a IP address.

If you logon on to the server, Go into Administrative Tools and then open DHCP

Expand the columns until you see a folder called reservations open it

then right click in there you will get a list of options click on new reservation then fill in the details

you will need the MAC address of the AP. I would highly recommend you give it a desctiption.

I have been in schools before where the tech does not do this and its very confusing. PM me if you need any help

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread