Poll: What Are You Plans Over Deploying Windows 8

+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Windows 8 Thread, Windows 8 Your Plans in Technical; Hi Just out interest wondering what peoples time frames and plans are over deploying Windows 8? Russ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Windows 8 Your Plans

Hi

Just out interest wondering what peoples time frames and plans are over deploying Windows 8?

Russ

Thank Post
    Think it's most likely going to be the age old, "when there's a reason". When there's software we need that's metro only, or something that's just majorly broken in Win7, but doesn't seem any real reason for schools yet.

Steve

Thank Post
    we are still thoroughly going ahead with our plan of scrapping all desktops not capable of running win7 by summer 2013, replacing as we go with minimum i3/4gb probably from stone. At the same time we will be virtualising our current RM network onto 2 of our current 4 servers and using the spare physical hosts to create a 2008r2 virtualised environment in the background. During the easter of 2014 we will be doing final tests of the build system prior to rebuilding all 800 workstations onto the new background domain. Summer 2014 will see all hands to pump and a double quick build of the workstations, transfer of data and user details and then frantic fixing of all the stuff that doesn't work.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,641 Times in 2,045 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Unlikely to happen at the school I'm in now, or the one I'm moving to at the end of the month. They've both only just moved to Windows 7.

So, its more likely that Windows 9 or so will be on the books instead.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,033 Times in 813 Posts
    Does anyone know what Capita have planned for SIMS support on Win8 ?

Thank Post
    Probably not for teachers any time soon, but I can see us doing it for the curricular PCs sooner rather than later.

I think its gonna be great for the kids and metro will allow us to create some nice simple apps for the school simply.

Thank Post
    It's difficult to say for sure until we see the final release but I can't see us moving to Windows 8 to be honest. We're contemplating trying out tablet computers (android, IOS, Windows 8[x86/RT]) so we might end up deploying it on a small scale for portable devices. Even if that works out though we'll likely still hold on until the next version (or at the very least SP1) until we deploy it to desktop computers.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,629 Times in 1,103 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Given how the majority of staff react to change, and how very different Win8 looks - not very likely, ever. Particularly as we've just gone Win7, I'll want to run that for at least 3 - 4 years, and given the current release tempo of Win OSes Win9 should be around by the time I'm wanting to upgrade.

Interfaces are very much in flux at the moment as well, but by Win9 they should have settled down (probably with something gesture like the Leap) and there'll be less risk of betting on a losing horse, as I suspect MS is with touch.

Thank Post
    Never say never (so vote other) but Windows 8 is a major change and that costs money. So without a compelling reason to change, I can't see why we would transition our current desktop and laptop devices through windows 7 to windows 8 (upgrades). However, I'm sure we will have new tablets where there is a compelling reason to run windows 8 so it will filter into the domain that way. I suspect Win8 will be a bit vista like in it's adoption.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,140 Times in 1,036 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberNerd View Post
    Does anyone know what Capita have planned for SIMS support on Win8 ?
    That's probably something @PhilNeal can answer?

With regards to Windows 8. In the enviroment I am in now (no educational support for SMB's). I don't think Windows 8 is going to be something we push to clients. Tablets possibly but not at the desktop level.

Thank Post
    i might try it on a few touchscreens but no big plans

Thank Post
    We'll investigate its use specifically in tablets or other environments where touch might be beneficial but as of yet we have no plans for a site-wide deployment.

Thank Post
    I dont know how Gareth feels that I work with, but this OS to me seems another vista/ME in the making, M$ are going like Star Trek films, every other one is good it seems

Windows 8 just doesnt get me excited about using it from what I have seen so far, seems designed for the tablet/touch device market to me more than home/desktop user.

Thank Post
    With most of my schools being mixed XP and Windows 7, still moving towards consolidation of Windows 7! Lack of funds will slow things down further. Until Windows 8 has been out for sometime, we'll still choose Win7 over it. Expect they'll sell Windows 8 pc's with a Windows 7 downgrade, like they did with Vista.

CAM

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by rich_tech View Post
    I dont know how Gareth feels that I work with, but this OS to me seems another vista/ME in the making, M$ are going like Star Trek films, every other one is good it seems
    With all those multi-coloured boxes coupled with an obsession with touch screens, they should have renamed Metro to LCARS.

16. Thanks to CAM from:

jamesfed (14th August 2012)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast