Poll: What Are You Plans Over Deploying Windows 8

+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Windows 8 Thread, Windows 8 Your Plans in Technical; You should have included Windows 8 SP1 in the poll options. If I were to deploy it in a live ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,567 Times in 1,249 Posts
    You should have included Windows 8 SP1 in the poll options. If I were to deploy it in a live environment of course

Thank Post
    I plan to carry on using Windows 7 on desktops and laptops but preparing the network to be ready for Windows 8 on tablets/touchscreen computers.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    There are several ways to answer this question, but they all result in "never" (or, at least not so long as I remain NM here).

Firstly there is the whole Metro is unusable on a desktop issue, no we are not going to buy 500 touchscreens just to make the desktops usable.

Then, there is the general upgrade cycle. We've only just jumped from XP to 7, skipping Vista. XP support has only just ended. Win9 will be out before M$ stop supporting Win7. So logically Win9 would be the next jump.

But, IT is changing and I'm predicting greater use of tablets before Win9 comes along. This is going to lead to a re-evaluation of the desktop. Do we still need desktops at all? And if we do would Linux meet our needs (and provide a decent UI)?

On the tablet front, the breadth of apps on iOS means that it's running away with the prize at the moment. It's very likely we'd be deploying iOS tablets in the near future. A lot needs to happen to make Win8, and thus Win9, a compelling tablet platform. I don't think it will happen, and I think the market will remain split between Android and iOS, if Android can attract some better apps then we may switch to that in due course.

It wouldn't surprise me if Win7 is the last large scale roll out of a M$ OS we do.

Thank Post
    Voted other. we're not looking to deploy to the desktop, just finishing a Win 7 Ent rollout. But we have just bought three Win 7 tablets we're looking to upgrade to 8.

Thank Post
    We will likely see some win8 tablets and potentially some laptops but I can't see a desktop roll out myself unless the new metro apps take off and offer something special that the teachers could use.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    Unlikely to happen at the school I'm in now, or the one I'm moving to at the end of the month. They've both only just moved to Windows 7.

So, its more likely that Windows 9 or so will be on the books instead.
    That's pretty much our situation. I don't think there are any plans at the moment.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,615 Times in 1,926 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sonofsanta View Post
    there'll be less risk of betting on a losing horse, as I suspect MS is with touch.
    Microsoft aren't betting the entire house on touch screens and tablets with Windows 8, since you can still use your mouse, keyboard and - with a compatible laptop - your touchpad (just like on an Apple Mac).

By working closely with our touchpad component vendors, we have incorporated native support in firmware to deliver incredibly fast gesture recognition that makes interacting with Windows a breeze. The touch gestures that will be natively supported are described in these two tables:

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
    Microsoft aren't betting the entire house on touch screens and tablets with Windows 8, since you can still use your mouse, keyboard and - with a compatible laptop - your touchpad (just like on an Apple Mac).
    no but keyboard/mouse interface has been compromised for touch interface rather than an equal addition (try bringing up charms bar on a non full screen vm its a pita). im also not sure what the deal with "info rich" tiles is yes i want my email/facebook etc on a tile everyone can see and whats the deal with every os's insistence on weather data on home screen waste of data lol

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
    Mmmm, I can just hear what a teachers response would be if I gave them that chart and said "here, you'll need this to use you computer now we've 'Upgraded' it".

The first question (from those who don't ignore/file the chart) would be "how do that with a mouse?", "er, you don't", "but I dont like using that pad thingie", "you can still use your mouse, see like this", "god that'll take forever, I really have to scroll through all those screens every time I want to run space invaders", "er, this is a work laptop - you shouldn't be playing space invaders. Other whys yes, enjoy!"

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,567 Times in 1,407 Posts
    Currently deploying 7 Ent to the majority of machines this summer with staff laptops after they come back in Sept.

Can't see us doing 8 any time soon I installed Multipoint 2012 and didn't like it, may have a look at the desktop deployment at some point as a test.

Ben

Thank Post
    i think it'll be a case of getting our heads around what improved manageability features there are with windows 8, as far as whether it's a candidate for the desktop.

to me windows 8 doesn't really fit with the desktop experience, where the tile interface is a solution looking for a non-existent problem.

the tablet/touchscreen space is a lot more interesting, would love to get my hands on a couple of the microsoft surface devices, to see whether it
    can do more of the tasks you'd associate with a laptop. Which to be fair is the only reason i'd chose it above an iPad at the moment.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I've just gone through a mass deployment of Windows 7 this summer (every desktop) so it's unlikely to be anytime within the next year.

To be fair, I'm not going to say never, however it's unlikely to be any time soon unless there's a pressing need to.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I will be putting Windows 8 onto our 90 Dell Slates as soon as it appears in my licensing downloads. Hopefully this Friday.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by glennda View Post

With regards to Windows 8. In the enviroment I am in now (no educational support for SMB's). I don't think Windows 8 is going to be something we push to clients. Tablets possibly but not at the desktop level.
    As @glennda has said, with my current envirnment, I can't see Windows 8 being something that clients will be going for unless they have tablets (currently non of them do!)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,653 Times in 2,253 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbieBurns View Post
    I will be putting Windows 8 onto our 90 Dell Slates as soon as it appears in my licensing downloads. Hopefully this Friday.
    Likewise, as soon as it comes out - on tablets. Desktops will have to wait a bit till we see haw it pans out but we have had Windows 7 deployed for nearly three years now so a change not would not be too soon.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast