+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Windows 8 Thread, Windows 8 is RTM in Technical; Originally Posted by localzuk I just need proof that these changes will in some way make my life better. Asking ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    I just need proof that these changes will in some way make my life better.
    Asking a bit much from an OS!

Thank Post
    Looking forward to playing with it, haven't tried it since the developer preview. Going to go in to it with an open mind i think, though i can't see school computers changing from windows 7 for a couple of years (like vista i expect we'll skip windows 8 in school though)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by FN-GM View Post
    I am keen to test metro on smartboards and cleavertouch machines. Has anyone done that please?
    I tried it on a Smartboard and was a bit disappointed that it still worked as a mouse rather than a touch display, so the touch gestures etc didnt work. May work better with newer drivers later on I suppose.

Thank Post
    I posted my main gripes with Metro in another thread. Here is that post:

Quote Originally Posted by Zoom7000
    I seem to be a little late joining the party, however, I just installed Windows 8 Release Preview on to a VM yesterday. I have to say, my fears for Metro on the desktop were just amplified to a whole new level. I just can't see how it can work in corporate environments. For reasons I won't go in to too much detail about, my school are still on XP/2003 and Office 2003. The plans to upgrade was put off as long as possible because most of the people were far too scared of the thought of Windows 7 and Office 2010 - Change, especially the ribbon. The school's argument for not upgrading was backed by the BSF being shelved etc etc. But now they are gonna have to upgrade and most of the staff here who are not so technically minded are bringing up the same fears of change again.

In using Metro properly for the first time yesterday, I actually had to do a Google search for how to quit an app using the mouse (without the need for Alt+F4 or simply hitting the Windows key). My favourite phrase here, to staff, is "Google is your friend" because more than 80% of the questions I get asked are simply answered by a quick Google search. Something that regular staff just don't do. If they can't see a Close (X) button at the top of the screen, they're gonna be completely lost. I've walked around school noticing that some users have their taskbars cluttered with 20+ windows, which they constantly flick between, SIMS, Word, Excel, IE, etc. Metro seems to take the productivity of multi tasking away from them. Sure, dragging a screen away using your fingers on a tablet may seem natural, but it doesn't feel right with a mouse.

Another thing that is going to confuse end users is Metro and non Metro apps. You go to the Start screen and you get a nice big button for IE10 Metro, which is gonna completely baffle them when they can't find the address bar! (Right Click btw - Again, another Google Search!) but then, when you go to the desktop and then click the shortcut on the taskbar for IE, you get non-Metro IE10. I don't know if Microsoft are thinking this is the answer to the corporate complaints, by giving users a half hearted attempt at a non Metro interface, but I can just see it causing mass confusion. I presume it'll be the same for Office 15 when it does arrive.

IMO, Microsoft are trying too hard to move to the Apple way of doing things. Apple are growing at an alarming rate in the consumer market, but they don't have anywhere near as big a base in the corporate market as Microsoft have. Sure, use Windows 8 to get up to speed with the consumer market, because, Metro does work, very well for tablets and touch devices. But I feel by forcing it on the desktop user, because I really can't see large corporate entities adopting touch devices en mass any time soon, they are alienating what has been their bread and butter for many years, the corporate/business/education market.

Just my opinions on the matter - Sorry for the mini rant :P
    As already mentioned by many on this thread, I can see a lot of schools skipping Windows 8. We're due for our full migration from Vanilla XP/2003 to CC4 next September when the full managed service starts and I can see us still going with Windows 7. I will be very surprised if they choose to roll out Windows 8 though!

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,749 Times in 2,322 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    I also thought the change from OS 9 to OS X was a good one.
    OS9 was the ME of the Apple World, duct taped together and a huge stack of APIs streatching back to the begining of time along with a stack of new ones that they were testing and eventually dropped. The first versions of OSX were the equivilent of Vista, lots of new stuff that they were trying out that wound up developers as it was all new and users as it was different. Apple had the advantage of writing their own drivers though so that did not have 'freinds' like intel dragging their OS through the mud for four strait years while they woke their developers and made them actually change their code.

Thank Post
    There's a version of Windows 8 RTM Enterprise N kicking around that is genuine.

3 days pre-kms attempt then 30 days, enough to get you through till official downloads are available to us on the 15/16/17.
    Last edited by Theblacksheep; 3rd August 2012 at 08:24 AM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Theblacksheep View Post
    There's a version of Windows 8 RTM Enterprise N kicking around that is genuine.

3 days pre-kms attempt then 30 days, enough to get you through till official downloads are available to us on the 15/16/17.
    Erm.. Isn't that technically known as the the "Release Preview"

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Gatt View Post
    Erm.. Isn't that technically known as the the "Release Preview"
    Yeah, yeah, that's what I meant

Thank Post
    Urgh - Was just trying to find the shutdown link in Windows 8 last night and accidentally clicked the Chrome tile... Only for Chrome to open as a new Metro App! Looks exactly the same as its desktop alter-ego though - which thankfully is still there!

Having tried it again this morning I discovered this behaviour when you click the Metro tile:

Chrome not running (Metro/Desktop) - Chrome Metro App
    Chrome running as a Desktop app - Chrome Desktop App

At the moment I can find no way of changing this behaviour...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Theblacksheep View Post
    Yeah, yeah, that's what I meant
    Just checking, though I was sure you were in no way trying to suggest an Edugeeker obtain a leaked bit of software :P

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Gatt View Post
    Just checking, though I was sure you were in no way trying to suggest an Edugeeker obtain a leaked bit of software :P
    No suggestion, purely factual. :P

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    the aforementioned has a watermark on the desktop, build 9200, so I dont think its true RTM.

(So ive been told)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,070 Times in 935 Posts
    and all those calling the new interface Metro better stop given the legal challenge being brought in from Metro AG (well suspected from them) so its the "Windows 8 style UI"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-19108952

I expect I will give it a go on a machine or two at work out of curiosity but certainly not expecting to rush to it over Windows 7 which is working very very well for us

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,749 Times in 2,322 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Greif, our users will get complacent if we leave them on one OS for too long, they'll decide that they have laernt everything and shutdown. We've already been running 7 for years but even with these concerns 8 is still only likely to see the light of day, at least in the short term on tablets.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12