+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Windows 8 Thread, Gartner review says Windows 8 “bad” for desktop users in Technical; Originally Posted by Theblacksheep I think the main problem people have is that it not what they are used to, ...
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Theblacksheep View Post
    I think the main problem people have is that it not what they are used to, but that's just my opinion.
    I don't think it's just the issue of change, more of an issue that the change seems to have been done for change's sake on desktops and makes you less productive than the previous UI. Also the lack of choice doesn't help, the fact you can't go back to desktop only is very irritating, especially if all your apps are Win32 based anyway. Would've been much less outcry if the Desktop was left as an option for users even if Metro was default (think Luna vs Classic Start Menu on XP)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Theblacksheep View Post
    An operating system that available yet cannot be called a disaster when its easy to upgrade predecessors have such a little share of the market place and companies are needlessly clinging on to XP.
    I'd call having to use a previous, non-current, OS release as your upgrade path disastrous. If Win8 is the (soon to be) current OS you'd think it'd be usable as an upgrade path?

Metro is just a full screen start menu.
    I know and it works great on touch screen devices (so long as you don't have too many programs installed). Doesn't work so great with a mouse, thus the complaints from a business perspective.

when setup how you want makes little difference. I think the main problem people have is that it not what they are used to, but that's just my opinion.
    True, but lack of visual clue on how to access the start menu in the classic desktop...

Either users will be forces in to mouse scrolling through metro every time they want to run an app (and getting frustrated in the process). Or we'd be fielding a lot of support calls ("how do I run program 'X'?" ... "oh, that's how you bring the start menu, sorry I didn't see it there").

I suppose from an IT view point the Win 8 roll out would be.... turn Metro Off, install 3rd part start menu button

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,695 Times in 2,285 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gshaw View Post
    I don't think it's just the issue of change, more of an issue that the change seems to have been done for change's sake on desktops and makes you less productive than the previous UI. Also the lack of choice doesn't help, the fact you can't go back to desktop only is very irritating, especially if all your apps are Win32 based anyway. Would've been much less outcry if the Desktop was left as an option for users even if Metro was default (think Luna vs Classic Start Menu on XP)
    The silly thing is that there is lots of good stuff about metro, bigger targets, grid rather than list arrangment etc. They steadfastly refused to modify it to be actually good though. Even if they had downsized it to 60% of the screen and not dropped out of desktop mode. There have been all sorts of surveys about how you forget stuff when going through doors, a jagged context switch like that is the same. They have selectivly used UI research to improve one bit while trashing it in another respect. Again, it is great for touch but is totally ridiculous for my two or three screen setups (common in lots of kids of business).

Thank Post
    On desktops and makes you less productive than the previous UI.
    Personally I've not found this.

Quote Originally Posted by tmcd35 View Post
    Either users will be forces in to mouse scrolling through metro every time they want to run an app (and getting frustrated in the process). Or we'd be fielding a lot of support calls ("how do I run program 'X'?" ... "oh, that's how you bring the start menu, sorry I didn't see it there").
    I can sense a wallpaper with the instructions on how to access the start menu coming on.

I made a toolbar for the start menu, but after the useful stuff was pinned or common apps moved to the front of the metro start menu its not really used now.
    Last edited by Theblacksheep; 31st July 2012 at 01:16 PM.

Thank Post
    I wonder just how many people there are like me who spend hours doing serious work on a PC every day, using many different applications, but have absolutely no need for a smartphone or tablet, do not have either, and no interest in the metro interface.

I loaded Windows 8 on to one of my testbeds, (5 year old single core) no problem with installation, but to me, such a horrible interface that I cannot bring myself to waste time loading on applications to test it further.

I support a lot of elderly people, the small changes in interface from Vista to Win7 cause all sorts of unexpected problems for them, so I live in dread of a time when Win8 is the only replacement I can get for them!

I fear MS has really lost it this time!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SocketMan View Post
    I wonder just how many people there are like me who spend hours doing serious work on a PC every day, using many different applications, but have absolutely no need for a smartphone or tablet, do not have either, and no interest in the metro interface.
    Loads and that's the problem with microsofts strategy. Apple uses the same OS on both platforms and Android is little more than a Linux distro but in both instances they use different gui's on the desktop and on mobile devices. If M$ wanted to us NT kernal for their mobiles they could have done it without inflicting the GUI on desktop users.

From a work perspective I have zero use for mobile devices. Even when talking 1 device per pupil we still expect them to need a certain number of regular desktops.

On the other hand as a home used I no longer have or need a regular pc or laptop. I have a htpc connected to the tv running Plex, controlled from my smartphone, a top end tablet and a games console.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I'm sure the pirates will know how.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberNerd View Post
    Someone will find a way, the words "can't" and "blocked" are the kind of words the "community" takes a challenge

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    Someone will find a way, the words "can't" and "blocked" are the kind of words the "community" takes a challenge
    That usually works out when the source code is free. Any hacks to get explorer running on boot won't be supported by MS and consequently won't be used by the majority of enterprises. Roll on the 'NT' version.

Thank Post
    Welcome to Classic Shell gives you something like the old startmenu. You can even set it to open metro when you click on the icon.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123