+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Windows 8 Thread, Windows 8 to RTM first week of August, go on sale late October in Technical; The problem is having the school to stand with an OS A few years and a previous Head back we ...

Thank Post
    The problem is having the school to stand with an OS

A few years and a previous Head back we moved to Novell OES (linux) for our servers and set up SLED with SSO to novell client, mounting drives, proxy settings etc...using Zenwork for linux to perform policies basically...pupils are fine with OpenOffice but then some one decided they need MS Access...so school went back to MS Office for desktops, which lead to Windows desktops...

Linux is a good desktop and great server OS but I find, here anyway, that the powers above us always buy in to the latest thing they are told they need before finding out if it actually works on the school system...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by FN-GM View Post
    When do you think Volume Licencing People will get it. Will it be the same time as RTM?

Thanks
    Normally, or within a few days.

Thank Post
    Agreed...

Quote Originally Posted by Quackers View Post
    Windows 8 can do exactly what Windows Vista did in this school. Be non existent, it can burn in hell.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,663 Times in 1,448 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Quackers View Post
    Windows 8 can do exactly what Windows Vista did in this school. Be non existent, it can burn in hell.
    I will be giving it a fair trail. I dont think i made make any judgements from what i have seen so far.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,653 Times in 2,253 Posts
    Blog Entries
    We'll go W8, on tablets. Desktops will probably be staying 7 for the forseeable future though as the UI actually caters for desktops and laptops, you know, the vast majority of our gear. Who knows they might pull something out that makes it indespencible later on but I doubt it. This will probably be the first time the school holds back from a new Windows release, at least on the main fleet.

6. Thanks to SYNACK from:

RabbieBurns (13th July 2012)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,615 Times in 1,926 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FN-GM View Post
    I will be giving it a fair trial.
    Same here. What I find particularly strange is that some people complain about Windows 8 being a tablet OS (it isn't btw ), and yet they will happily install an OS designed for touchscreen devices (a.k.a Android) on a netbook without a touchscreen! Double standards anyone?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,653 Times in 2,253 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
    Same here. What I find particularly strange is that some people complain about Windows 8 being a tablet OS (it isn't btw ), and yet they will happily install an OS designed for touchscreen devices (a.k.a Android) on a netbook without a touchscreen! Double standards anyone?
    It is a touchscreen focused OS, despite their claims to the contrary there are huge holes in their ui design for desktop use. It also goes the Apple way of chucking out good ui design where the ui is its own explaination for abstract and hidden commands. With desktop screens getting bigger and bigger hiding functionality and not keeping a smooth parallel workflow is stupid. The funy thing is that the OS and dev languages are finally getting the parallel thing down then they push an OS that gets in the way of parallel user actions. All that said it should be great on tablets, its just that they've chucked their whole market to get there. Maybe they havw done an IBM, design one exterior and use it on everything forever. Should be good for all their platforms apart from the desktop which the shortsighted marketing sheep say will die completely. They should really be careful of their own Koolaide, too much is toxic.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by john View Post
    Perfect, who fancys a site wide deployment over summer to fool the staff upon returning in September haha
    You cruel, cruel man.
    You have my full support.
    .... AND MY AXE!!!!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by john View Post
    Perfect, who fancys a site wide deployment over summer to fool the staff upon returning in September haha
    I think you will be needing this @john:

718-p45.gif

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur View Post

Hehe I recognise that pic, nice to know someone's reading the blog and the transparent background worked

To address your point about double standards... nice try but fail because the difference being I had the choice to try it out. There's not much else that will fit on the 2GB SSD of a 4-year old netbook and run at a decent speed so thought "what the hell I'll give it a try". Chromium OS would've been the best bet but it didn't fit on the SSD. It's not something I'd use every day (hence the point about scrolling being a bit awkward) but kinda cool to see what I could shovel on there and make a legacy device usable again. If this same OS was forced onto my i5 desktop I'd be saying exactly the same as what I've said about 8... have to say though it looks a lot nicer than Metro despite being kludged together by some geeks on the Internet Funny enough after using the Android distro for a bit I was wondering if I could get one of these to work on it...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/7-inch-USB...item231fa54220

I think the drivers are Windows only though, touchscreen netbook for 15 quid would be a great way to bring the eeePC back into more regular use at home.

Windows 8 gives me no choice, it's Metro way or no way regardless of what device I use it on, that's what I get narked by. I've got the Release Preview on my x100e and I'm so irritated by the UI I barely use it and when I do the only click I make is to get into Google Chrome (quite ironic that). All comes round to the circular argument that 8 is great for tablets but not for desktops \ laptops...

Quote Originally Posted by Gatt View Post
    I think you will be needing this @john:

718-p45.gif
    I'd say he'd need to play a few days of L4D first to get practice at fending off hordes of angry staff and surviving long enough to escape...
    Last edited by gshaw; 13th July 2012 at 03:38 PM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12