+ Post New Thread
Windows 8 Thread, Windows 8 to support (British) English as a display language in Technical; ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,824 Times in 2,083 Posts

Windows 8 to support (British) English as a display language

About time!

Source: blogs.msdn.com/b/b8/archive/2012/02/21/using-the-language-you-want.aspx

We are proud to announce the addition of English for the United Kingdom to the list of Windows display languages. We admit that this is something we should have done a long time ago. Windows users in the UK have gotten by with the US English version of Windows, and while we Americans knew this was not their favourite, that is clearly no defence. We believe that this version of Windows will also be widely used in India, Australia, South Africa, New Zealand, the Republic of Ireland and many other places.

We are releasing English for the United Kingdom as a standalone language. Standalone languages contain all the user interface components needed to be independent versions of Windows. Standalone languages can be used by OEMs to image a PC, or can be purchased as boxed software.

The release of English for the United Kingdom is also a trial run for us. Adding a second language under an already existing primary language code—ISO 3166-2 EN—poses some engineering challenges for us (which is why this took us so long to do). We have had to pay attention to the language fallback chain, for instance. If there are no localized resources available at any time, we fall back to secondary choices and then to English. That used to be English US. But, now there’s English UK as well. Which do we fall back to? So far, planning for these scenarios is looking good.
    If you are currently using Windows Vista or Windows 7 Ultimate, you probably see 34 or 35 languages as optional updates in your Windows Update UI. These won’t show up there anymore in Windows 8. Instead, we’ve consolidated the languages in one place for you: Language preferences in Control Panel. Language preferences will be a clean, unified control for all Windows display languages moving forward.
    There will also be thirteen new Language Interface Packs including one for Scottish Gaelic...

We are also continuing to broaden our language support with the addition of 13 new Language Interface Packs (LIPs). Language Interface Packs install over the top of a standalone Windows display language. These lightweight packs contain localized user interface elements for the most commonly-used Windows features. The new languages offered include Punjabi (Pakistan), Sindhi (Pakistan), Central Kurdish (Iraq), Uyghur (People’s Republic of China), Belarusian (Belarus), Kinyarwanda (Rwanda), Tigrinya (Ethiopia), Tajik (Tajikistan), Wolof (Senegal), K’iche’ (Guatemala), Scottish Gaelic (United Kingdom), Cherokee (United States), Valencian (Spain).

Thank Post
    im wondering just what the diff is tbh as long as shift 3 gives me a £ not a # and " is on shift 2 whats the real difference?
    almost sounds like complicating something for the sake of complicating it

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sted View Post
    im wondering just what the diff is tbh as long as shift 3 gives me a £ not a # and " is on shift 2 whats the real difference?
    almost sounds like complicating something for the sake of complicating it
    No more referring to "colours" as "colors" for example i think is what they're getting at here (one example of far too many!)

Even though my windows 7 PC is set with UK keyboard and UK region etc, paint still says "edit colors" on the top bar, this in windows 8 will likely say "edit colours"

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mrbios View Post
    No more referring to "colours" as "colors" for example i think is what they're getting at here (one example of far too many!)

Even though my windows 7 PC is set with UK keyboard and UK region etc, paint still says "edit colors" on the top bar, this in windows 8 will likely say "edit colours"
    meh i know they are american spellings but tbh i dont even notice until its pointed out

Thank Post
    The Welsh have a Language Interface Pack for Windows 7, so it's only fair the English and Scot's are treated the same too.

Quote Originally Posted by sted View Post
    I know they are American spellings but tbh I don't even notice until it's pointed out
    I think this will please a lot of people who write technical documentation. You can now refer to things like the "Networking and Sharing Centre" and not see any red squiggles in Word because Centre is spelt incorrectly.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,780 Times in 1,534 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Its an additional cost to have this "feature".

Thank Post
    If you purchase retail media (e.g., boxed product you buy at a local computer shop), expect that to have only one language pack. Other language packs can be installed later.

If you buy a new PC, the OEM can decide to include multiple language packs in the system image they provide, in which case you'd be allowed to choose between them during setup. (This was already the case in Windows 7 and Vista). (Source)
    What happens if you buy an OEM license from somewhere like Amazon?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread