+ Post New Thread
Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 391011121314 LastLast
Windows 8 Thread, Windows 8 Consumer Preview Available 29th Feb in Technical; Originally Posted by FN-GM Couldnt agree more. I would personally keep the usual windows look and have the metro design ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by FN-GM View Post
    Couldnt agree more. I would personally keep the usual windows look and have the metro design as an extra. Tablet users can turn it on if required. Upgrading to 8 in large environments is going to give people grief.
    aye make it like media centre m6e an option to autostart it but unless your on a touchscreen metro is daft does work on smartboards though

Thank Post
    I've had the Windows 8 Preview for a couple weeks now. I really hated that the start button was missing at first but have gotten used to it. TIP: if you hover in bottom left corner (where the start button used to be) the apps window will pop up for you to click on. The apps window is pretty cool, a lot of room to organize your files and applications.

Over all, I am not impressed by Windows 8. Seems like a lot of cosmetic touch ups and a few new features rather than a brand new OS.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by FN-GM View Post
    Couldnt agree more. I would personally keep the usual windows look and have the metro design as an extra. Tablet users can turn it on if required. Upgrading to 8 in large environments is going to give people grief.
    The charms need to activate quicker when using the mouse (feels like you have to hold on half a second too long at the moment) and after installing MS need to force a quick-start wizard to tell users where everything is (as most of the new UI features are less than intuitive)

A lot of it depends on how much companies are willing to take up Metro rather than Win32 for new versions of their apps. On a tablet Windows 8 feels pretty good but on any other device you end up back at the standard desktop most of the time anyway.

I can see Metro apps being hard to control as well as there's so much flexibility in the design framework every one is likely to be different... good for consumer stuff where it's design-oriented but not for corporate use who want a locked down environment. On the other hand maybe the aim is to have consumer-esque work environments and BYOD but is everyone ready for it right now... that's the gamble MS seem to be taking...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,717 Times in 2,005 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gshaw View Post
    after installing MS need to force a quick-start wizard to tell users where everything is
    That's what they are going to do...

Windows 8 Start button isn't coming back, but there will be a tutorial « Ars Technica

Thank Post
    I installed it on a friends Lenovo x220 convertible laptop last night - This setup seems to be ideal for windows 8, touchscreen for the metro bits and laptop for the desktop bits I even actually liked it! (wouldn't pay that much for a laptop tho)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
    Now they just need to do the couple of UI tweaks I want, a theming engine and proper GPO control of the Metro Start screen and we might be getting somewhere

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Ive been using windows 8 consumer preview as my main laptop now since 29th feb and have not used a single metro app. Using the metro 'start' screen isnt much of an issue and the hot corners are working OK.

My only gripe is that solitaire is now a full screen metro app and i cant seem to find a normal version of it. Which is no use to me as i like to have solitaire open at the same time as watching a video for example when im on the plane and stuff.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbieBurns View Post
    Ive been using windows 8 consumer preview as my main laptop now since 29th feb and have not used a single metro app. Using the metro 'start' screen isnt much of an issue and the hot corners are working OK.
    Yup same, got all excited by the Wordpress app but it was absolutely useless... my most used tile is for Google Chrome and that's about it.

Found another annoying quirk yesterday... while trying to drag a scrollbar in Chrome that was near the bottom the charms bar decided to jump in front of it instead. Also find the light grey scrollbars in Metro apps (e.g. Windows Store) hard to see and not all of them use the mouse wheel to scroll across instead.

Does boot nice and quickly on my x100e with an SSD now though

Thank Post
    how to download beta please help

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,717 Times in 2,005 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jargonbust View Post
    how to download beta please help
    This website will help...

lmgtfy.com/?q=how+to+download+windows+8

11. Thanks to Arthur from:

RabbieBurns (15th April 2012)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,572 Times in 1,252 Posts
    Here are the official SKUs being released

Windows 8
    Windows 8 Pro
    Windows RT

Windows 8 = Windows 7 Home Edition equivalent
    Windows 8 Pro = Windows 7 Pro/Ultimate equivalent
    Windows RT = For ARM based Tablets and only available pre-installed

Windows 8 and Windows 8 Pro available in 32Bit and 64Bit. No mention of Windows 8 Enterprise as yet and no mention whether Metro can be switched on/off as yet either.

zag
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Yeh I think Windows pro has all the domain features.

Glad they minimized the versions. Having all those different ones for windows 7 was a complete joke.

I've been using windows 8 for a while now and I still can't get over the lack of a start menu. Is anyone else finding the same thing? Or got used to the new pull screen?

Thank Post
    I still find it irritating if using a laptop touchpad, more bearable with a mouse but need to see the next iteration after the Consumer Preview to see if the bugs I found have been ironed out yet. Still concerned by how much control admins will have over the Metro start screen and apps though...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by gshaw View Post
    I still find it irritating if using a laptop touchpad, more bearable with a mouse but need to see the next iteration after the Consumer Preview to see if the bugs I found have been ironed out yet. Still concerned by how much control admins will have over the Metro start screen and apps though...
    as its just a "big start menu" id imagine you have roughly the same gpo control as before programs form it still go in the users/all users start menu (i added logoff/reboot/shutdown as "tiles" just by creating shutdown/l shortcuts and assigning icons, shoved office on there etc) the only issue i can see is weather gadgets etc (and why does every os see the need for those i know its raining there athing called a window over there and its got water running down it lol)
    Last edited by sted; 18th April 2012 at 02:37 PM.

Thank Post
    No I mean the charms menu and hot corners, doesn't feel natural at all on a touchpad

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 391011121314 LastLast