+ Post New Thread
Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 LastLast
Windows 8 Thread, Windows 8 Consumer Preview Available 29th Feb in Technical; Originally Posted by RabbieBurns Is anyone using windows 8 on a Dell Latitude ST tablet? I am. I installed without ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,212 Times in 761 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbieBurns View Post
    Is anyone using windows 8 on a Dell Latitude ST tablet?
    I am. I installed without adding any drivers at first and then added them one by one. From memory I've only added the wired ethernet for the dock, the wireless driver, the nTrig driver, and the graphics driver. The first three were from the Dell website, but I got the graphics driver from the Intel website as it's a later version.

2. Thanks to AngryTechnician from:

RabbieBurns (4th March 2012)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Thanks ill have another go tomorrow. Lost track of the emount of times ive reimaged this thing back to the fresh install. All the drivers went on to the Devel preview fine I cant figure out what is causing this to crash. It started crashing last night straight after a fresh install and jsut the wireless.. Ill try putting the wifi on last.. cheers for the video update.

Thank Post
    Installed it on my x100e over the weekend, writing a full blog post about it but main things I've noticed...

a) Metro feels like a Media Center-esque overlay on top of a standard Windows desktop, quite a jarring experience moving between the two
    b) interface isn't consistent, on Metro you can move the tiles across by mousing to the edge of the screen or pressing Pg Up \ Down... in the Store or Wordpress app (both Metro native) this doesn't work and you have to drag scrollbars... frustrating much?!
    c) you can't close Metro apps from the UI, no doubt this is meant to be as part of some simplified multitasking idea but incredibly annoying when an app has turned on a webcam and it's sitting there recording you the whole time! Luckily Alt+F4 closes the apps fully
    d) most of the UI is rather unintuitive, was wondering how to get the options up in Metro apps e.g. IE and randomly right-clicked on a webpage... voila?
    e) on IE Metro version why is the URL bar at the bottom?! Even Apple have it at the top, where it's been for... y'know... 15 odd years
    e) Metro itself is subjective but without doubt I hate the primary colours \ monochrome icon look with a passion... there needs to be a theming engine for this surely

Not sure if Consumer Preview = Beta but if it does MS are in trouble as it feels like a UI experiment at the moment, no real cohesion there as it stands imo

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gshaw View Post
    Installed it on my x100e over the weekend, writing a full blog post about it but main things I've noticed...

c) you can't close Metro apps from the UI, no doubt this is meant to be as part of some simplified multitasking idea but incredibly annoying when an app has turned on a webcam and it's sitting there recording you the whole time! Luckily Alt+F4 closes the apps fully
    e) Metro itself is subjective but without doubt I hate the primary colours \ monochrome icon look with a passion... there needs to be a theming engine for this surely

Not sure if Consumer Preview = Beta but if it does MS are in trouble as it feels like a UI experiment at the moment, no real cohesion there as it stands imo
    drag the app from the top of the screen down to the bottom and it closes it. Works with mouse and touch.

You can change the theme in the settings somewhere to change the colours.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbieBurns View Post
    drag the app from the top of the screen down to the bottom and it closes it. Works with mouse and touch.

You can change the theme in the settings somewhere to change the colours.
    You can change the background colour (still have to use their nasty patterns though, why not an image?) and the tiles still seem to have a mind of their own, some are green, some are blue, some are purple others orange... it's an insult on the eyes

How is dragging an app around quicker than a close button? Might be for a tablet but more effort than required with a mouse. Also don't like having to swish the length of the screen to get to the UI elements in the "hot corners"... glad I'm not testing on my dual 22" screens as aiming at the corner of the primary screen would be a nightmare!

On a plus side it did pick up more drivers on the x100e than 7 does so there's a positive thing

Don't want to hate 8 but MS don't appear to have thought this one though...
    Last edited by gshaw; 5th March 2012 at 09:48 AM.

Thank Post
    Just had a brainwave having glanced sideways at our Q1 and Q1 Ultra while testing Ruckus... they're getting the Windows 8 treatment tomorrow

Thank Post
    So, what's the general consensus - viable OS or another ME and Vista?

Thank Post
    It's another ME/Vista in the making!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I'd say more like ME withBob front-end.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/19300...hronicles.html

Perhaps that's unfair.

They couldn't possibly release it as it stands. The disparate interfaces jar and jostle with each other and serve up an inconsistent and confusing experience.
    Last edited by jinnantonnixx; 5th March 2012 at 04:45 PM.

Thank Post
    Could just make the Metro UI as a (selectable) feature, restore the Start Menu (again if required) and everyone's happy..simples..

Or even a Sticky / Windows + Key option to toggle between the 2 (Desktop/Tablet) interfaces.

Not ruled it out totally, many people fear change but ultimately the OS should be seamless to the end-user as ultimately they just want to access the applications to do their job/work.

We installed Windows 8/Office 2010 on a test PC and got a couple of staff/pupils to try and run Office....(don't think there would be much of the lesson left the time it took to sus it out! )
    Last edited by MYK-IT; 5th March 2012 at 04:44 PM.

Thank Post
    It's brave from Microsoft but as it stands a bit foolish... would definitely work better as an option for desktop users aka Media Center style plugin.

I guess you can see Microsoft's quandry... leave it as an option and no-one will move to it or force the issue and take the criticism... it's a no-win situation trying to shoehorn it onto both devices with the same interface by the looks of things.

As a general theme I really don't get the design logic at the moment, first Unity then Windows 8... how does forcing you into a full-screen app launcher help concentration when trying to quickly open up a second app? As it stands 7 has it spot on with the indexed Start Menu... I'm in Word and quickly need Photoshop... takes 1 press of the Windows key and either (Photo...) + Enter or click the pinned item.

In Unity \ 8 it's the same process but with a huge fullscreen of apps shouting at me, by which time I'm distracted and the second app launch is no longer seamless... guess I'm the only one who sees it that way...
    Last edited by gshaw; 5th March 2012 at 05:16 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 1,973 Posts
    You can't close Metro apps from the UI / How is dragging an app around quicker than a close button?
    You aren't meant to close Metro apps (regardless of whether you are using a desktop or tablet). They will get suspended and/or terminated automatically by the operating system.

The important thing to underscore is that even though there may be several suspended apps in the background taking up memory, there is no negative performance or battery life impact to your PC. In fact, you do not need to manage or close apps directly at all. This is a common approach being used across computing devices now and represents a modern view of operating system design (see for example, this blog post about iOS multitasking by Frasier Spears).
    The benefit of being able to suspend apps is that you get really fast switching between them without negatively impacting the battery life or performance of your system. This is altogether different than traditional desktop apps, where we are all used to optimizing our workflow for those apps that take a long time to launch.

[...]

The system may remove an app from the suspended state and terminate the app if the system starts to run low on memory. Memory is a finite resource and we want the apps you are using most frequently to be ready for you instantly. If you have not used an app in a while and the operating system needs more memory, it terminates one of your suspended apps. This should happen relatively infrequently because the memory manager will take your suspended apps and save them to disk (which generally has more capacity than physical memory). When you switch back to these apps, they will be ready instantly. However, there will be cases where the system does have to terminate a suspended app. This typically occurs when there are multiple users logged into one PC, or when you are using a bunch of memory-intensive apps.

Also don't like having to swish the length of the screen to get to the UI elements in the "hot corners"... glad I'm not testing on my dual 22" screens as aiming at the corner of the primary screen would be a nightmare!
    Increase your mouse pointer speed or use the Windows key!

As it stands 7 has it spot on with the indexed Start Menu... I'm in Word and quickly need Photoshop... takes 1 press of the Windows key and either (Photo...) + Enter or click the pinned item.
    You do know you can still do this in Windows 8?

on IE Metro version why is the URL bar at the bottom?
    Because the tab appears at the top and if you use the on-screen keyboard, the address bar will be right next to it (less distance to move your mouse or finger).

most of the UI is rather unintuitive, was wondering how to get the options up in Metro apps e.g. IE and randomly right-clicked on a webpage... voila?

zag
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jinnantonnixx View Post
    They couldn't possibly release it as it stands. The disparate interfaces jar and jostle with each other and serve up an inconsistent and confusing experience.
    Exactly my thoughts as well.

I think we are going to avoid this OS.

No doubt in windows 9 the start menu will return and they will actually add some new features to that environment.

This looks like a botched migration release to me, exactly the same as office 2007, Windows me, Vista ect..

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
    You aren't meant to close Metro apps (regardless of whether you are using a desktop or tablet). They will get suspended and/or terminated automatically by the operating system....
    I find that makes it really hard to multitask and swap between what you want. Not only do apps/windows you want to swap back to get randomly turned off as you load new ones up. But the ones you no longer want get in the way of swapping to what you do want.

What if you do not want the app suspended but running in the background? How does that work.

Thank Post
    Can this not be installed onto a VM? I have a enviroment up and running and it won't install as I only have '0.1Gb' of RAM! :S

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread