+ Post New Thread
Windows 8 Thread, How to enforce the classic start menu on Windows 8 Developer Preview in Technical; I've just spent an hour looking though various W8 menu options before Googling gave me this from NeoWin: Windows 8: ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,250 Times in 1,032 Posts
    Blog Entries

How to enforce the classic start menu on Windows 8 Developer Preview

I've just spent an hour looking though various W8 menu options before Googling gave me this from NeoWin: Windows 8: How to re-enable the classic start menu - Neowin.net
    It's a registry entry and to quote NeoWin:

To get back the old start menu, open regedit, goto

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Explorer

change value of RPEnabled from "1" to "0"

close regedit, you get your old start menu......the catch is, no more metro UI because you just disabled it. To get back the Metro UI, change the value back to "1"
    It was only posted yesterday, so good timing there!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I'm sure someone here posted this yesterday or the day before, as I remember seeing it and thinking "oh good, I can still revert to my safe place if I want "

Although this does doesn't just change the startUI interface, its also the windows explorer ribbon, and also the task manager look and feel

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    One wierd thing I have found is that the metro IE shell does not play Flash video, even when you update to the latest client. The 'classic' IE still does though. I had found referance to this here: Microsoft bans all plugins from touchable IE10 ? The Register but didn't expect the classic shell to still work with it.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,824 Times in 2,083 Posts
    @Dos_Box. You may want to try Metro Controller...

Some users want to disable Metro Start Screen but not the Ribbon Explorer. If you are one such user, Metro Controller is a tool for you. It can disable all new features or can disable only Metro features while keeping the Ribbon Explorer. (Source)

5. 3 Thanks to Arthur:

Dos_Box (16th September 2011), LosOjos (16th September 2011), nephilim (16th September 2011)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,223 Times in 832 Posts
    The Metro Start Menu is dire with a mouse and keyboard.

Also, how the hell do you properly exit a program? Random combinations of CTRL, ALT and ESC seem to do the trick depending what you're using, but I can't figure out a definitive method (such as the all powerful 'X' in every other operating system since Windows first began!)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    You should try it with a touch screen!

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,017 Times in 1,466 Posts
    Blog Entries
    just about runs on my Samsung Q1, but dont like metro at all...may go back to linux on this and stick with W8 on my laptop (which is currently drying in an airing cupboard)

CAM

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Yeah I get the feeling this isn't designed for mouse and keyboard. The lock screen smacks of touchscreen.

This may be a response to the booming tablet and smartphone markets but for a family of Operating Systems running on a majority of desktop PC's in the world, this isn't a smart move. Not unless MS are trying to get us all on tablets and small touchscreen devices.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    There WILL be a desktop version, so please don't panic. What Microsoft really need to do now is to get people developing mobile applocations for W8 as anything written for W7 and Vista will already work, and please remember, we are over a year before any launch will be considered for W8, so there is plenty to come yet. This version is like one of those concept cars they whell out at the Geneva Motor Show. It looks real, but is far, far from it.
    I like Metro, and I really like how it performs on the RM Slate given it's relatively low spec, and as it allows me to use Outlook, IE, Skype and Messenger without issue, so I'm happy. Mind you, the Flash thing is a bit of a bugger!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,223 Times in 832 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dos_Box View Post
    There WILL be a desktop version, so please don't panic. What Microsoft really need to do now is to get people developing mobile applocations for W8 as anything written for W7 and Vista will already work, and please remember, we are over a year before any launch will be considered for W8, so there is plenty to come yet. This version is like one of those concept cars they whell out at the Geneva Motor Show. It looks real, but is far, far from it.
    I like Metro, and I really like how it performs on the RM Slate given it's relatively low spec, and as it allows me to use Outlook, IE, Skype and Messenger without issue, so I'm happy. Mind you, the Flash thing is a bit of a bugger!
    Totally agree, it looks like it'd be fantastic on a touch screen device. I just hope you're right that there is a desktop version in the works! I must say I was relived to see that the traditional desktop can quite easily be called back up, it's just the initial shock of the Metro Start Menu - when it was there upon login, I thought that was it!

My monitor is starting to show it's age now mind you, and with Windows 8 not all that far away perhaps a touch screen upgrade is in order... anybody want to place bets on me convincing the missus I need a new monitor this close to christmas?

Cue
    Thank Post
    Oh thank God, lifesavers. I installed W8 on my laptop and found it absolutely horrific to use with metro and that nerfed start menu.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread