+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 47 1234511 ... LastLast
Windows 8 Thread, Windows 8....urgh in Technical; Windows 8 and Its Incredibly Cool New Touch Interface Am I the only one who thinks this'll be horrible in ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,255 Times in 786 Posts
    Blog Entries

Windows 8....urgh

Windows 8 and Its Incredibly Cool New Touch Interface

Am I the only one who thinks this'll be horrible in a work/school environment.....

2. 2 Thanks to Domino:

mac_shinobi (17th September 2011), thesk8rjesus (10th February 2013)

Thank Post
    It looks like it has the standard Start Button etc underneath so I guess there will be a way to keep the 'standard' Windows desktop feel.

IMO I think it looks great.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,049 Times in 971 Posts
    OS X Lion - yes please, am hoping they have good AHCI support on OS X Lion and will hopefully prompt a 3rd party to create / make NON RAID Sata 3 PCI Express X4 , X8, X16

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    Unity is suddenly looking rather good.

Thank Post
    I'm loving the fact that it's clearly based on Windows Phone Mobile 7 - and we all know what a great success that was

7. Thanks to danbuntu from:

Rawns (24th June 2011)

Thank Post
    I really hope you can keep a standard look as a default, looking at one screen shot I’ve seen there is a desktop square or whatever they are called. I don’t mind the new look UI, think it will be great for tablets. But from first looks I prefer the current standard look for PC’s And laptops. But will reserve my final judgement till hands on.

That little bit in the middle of Little Old England
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,343 Times in 742 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Windows 8.........hmmmmmmm......

I get it (finally) - each of Microsoft's incarnations of Windows is the equivalent in child years so by the time Windows 21 is released we might have a half decent operating system that is starting to take things seriously.......?

[walks off muttering under his breath]
    Last edited by tech_guy; 2nd June 2011 at 09:14 AM.

10. 4 Thanks to tech_guy:

bodminman (2nd June 2011), farmerste (13th June 2011), jpaterson (13th September 2011), mattx (17th September 2011)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,255 Times in 786 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by andy_nic View Post
    I really hope you can keep a standard look as a default, looking at one screen shot I’ve seen there is a desktop square or whatever they are called. I don’t mind the new look UI, think it will be great for tablets. But from first looks I prefer the current standard look for PC’s And laptops. But will reserve my final judgement till hands on.
    From the above article

You can't turn either of the experiences off—it's always there. The regular Windows is always underneath the new Live Tile start screen. The Live start screen always is on top of Windows.
    Of course it's still early days - but doesn't appear so :-(

12. Thanks to Domino from:

CyberNerd (10th February 2013)

Thank Post
    Dunno, first screen shots I saw I thought "Dear God!!" but I imagine that is the tablet UI & can probably be turned off. But it also got me thinking. What if it was customisable & set by group? So you create a kind of School Intranet homepage there, branded with your school colour scheme and logo.
    - A box for internal messages.
    - A box for linking to your VLE with what's changed, homework dates or an RSS feed of new resources.
    - A box with the school calendar on showing what is coming this week and next.
    - A box showing how many unread emails they have.
    - A box showing the latest trip photos that have been uploaded

Could be interesting. As I said though, I think this will mainly be the tablet UI, but available as a launch item on PCs.

14. Thanks to TechMonkey from:

CHR1S (29th June 2011)

CAM

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I like it, it's desktop widgets taken to the next step. Would feel odd with mouse/keyboard but I wonder how long they will last anyway.

Thank Post
    Looks great for tablets but that will be so irritating for non-touchscreen devices, the sensible way would be to have an option to set the UI based on device and user preferences...

Just had another thought... could have those active tiles on a standard desktop... ah actually we've been there before... Windows 98 Active Desktop anyone
    Last edited by gshaw; 2nd June 2011 at 10:06 AM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,212 Times in 761 Posts
    My first thought is that the entire of my Intranet home page could be replaced with tiles on the Start screen. Web apps and standard apps in the same intuitive menu system? Yes please!

As for using it without a touchscreen, my guess is that it will work a bit like Media Center: cursor keys replace swiping left and right. I think I spotted a horizontal scroll bar in there too. It will take a bit of getting used to, just like the Office 2003 -> 2007 switch did, but that went fine in every school I did it with.
    Last edited by AngryTechnician; 2nd June 2011 at 10:21 AM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,680 Times in 2,273 Posts
    Blog Entries
    All the stuff that I read previously indicated that there would be a touch type UI for tablets and a desktop type one for desktops. The biggest complaints about 7 for touch was that the interface was not right and so I think that they have spun it off. So long as they are keeping the idea of the UI being adaptable for the usage schenario it should be fine.

Thank Post
    I think it looks good for a touch screen device, but dont really see the point in having all that included if your going to be putting it on a desktop. It looks more like it's aimed at the home user market who are used to touchscreen devices already and use them to browse the web/view images etc. With the ability to view a couple of things at the same time is always nice, but I'm not sure that having those features on a "work computer" will be anything more than a gimmic. In reality I tend to have a couple of windows open, but when I'm doing work I only work on 1 thing at a time with email alerts in the background. Without being able to turn the touchscreen feeling off, I think it would become an annoyance for keyboard and mouse users.

But then maybe I'm old fashioned.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by danbuntu View Post
    I'm loving the fact that it's clearly based on Windows Phone Mobile 7 - and we all know what a great success that was
    Look at the reviews mate, they are very nearly universally positive, not to mention the fact that carriers publically admitted that out of all the phones they sell, the Windows Phone's have the lowest return rate. Marketing is killing the phone nothing else, I've yet to meet anyone who has said "I don't like it". It's usually "I'd get it if it had this app" and with Nokia around the corner it's on it's way up. Holds the record for the fastest 0-10,000 apps.

Also, it isn't Windows Phone interface, it's the Metro UI interface that Microsoft have been designing for a while now.

21. Thanks to deceptivex from:

somebloke (7th February 2012)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 47 1234511 ... LastLast