+ Post New Thread
Page 8 of 47 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast
Windows 8 Thread, Windows 8....urgh in Technical; Originally Posted by CyberNerd I've been reading about improved speed with win8 Windows 8: Early Speed Tests | PCMag.com but ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberNerd View Post
    I've been reading about improved speed with win8
    Windows 8: Early Speed Tests | PCMag.com

but every time I mention on edugeek that win7 is bloated and slow compared to linuxes or XP I seem to get shouted down by the win7 fans ?!?! Perhaps there was merit to my argument after all.
    That may be so but compared to Vista, Windows 7 is like a breath of fresh air. Maybe that's where they're making their argument.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,270 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Shielder View Post
    That may be so but compared to Vista, Windows 7 is like a breath of fresh air. Maybe that's where they're making their argument.
    @CyberNerd - as far as I know noone has ever claimed that W7 uses less resources than XP. What had been claimed is that W7 has lots of stuff that XP does not like DX11, better handling of memory, CPU resources when doing multiple things, security and lots of improvement from a managment and hardware support point of view.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post
    @CyberNerd - as far as I know noone has ever claimed that W7 uses less resources than XP. What had been claimed is that W7 has lots of stuff that XP does not like DX11, better handling of memory, CPU resources when doing multiple things, security and lots of improvement from a managment and hardware support point of view.
    I agree it runs well on very spec machines, but windows 7 just seems much slower (bloated) on machines that don't have gigs of memory DX11 etc whereas linuxes run fine and also have good security and hardware support. It's good that win8 appears to do all of this and be able to run on older hardware, we've got stacks of ATOM based miniITX machines and it will be good if we can run win8 on them - theres no realistic hope that win7 will run productively with the amount of resources it needs.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I agree it runs well on very spec machines, but windows 7 just seems much slower (bloated) on machines that don't have gigs of memory DX11 etc whereas linuxes run fine and also have good security and hardware support. It's good that win8 appears to do all of this and be able to run on older hardware, we've got stacks of ATOM based miniITX machines and it will be good if we can run win8 on them - theres no realistic hope that win7 will run productively with the amount of resources it needs.
    I run 7 on an Atom ITX board fine with 2GB of shared RAM (ION platform). It works great with office and even encoding/dlna/media center streaming along with h264 tv recording and time shifting + webserver. What kind of Atom platform are you using as a comparison.

Its even fast enough to run Folding@home SMP units within the alloted time with its 'spare' cpu cycles.
    Last edited by SYNACK; 27th October 2011 at 12:22 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post
    I run 7 on an Atom ITX board fine with 2GB of shared RAM (ION platform). It works great with office andeven encoding/dlna/media center streaming along with h264 tv recording and time shifting. What kind of Atom platform are you using as a comparison.

Its even fast enough to run Folding@home SMP units within the alloted time.
    The fastest we have is a Intel® Desktop Board D510MO
    (they cost around £100 ea - £50 board, £40 case, £20 memory)
    The one I tested with 7 wouldn't run more than a few apps at once and took ages from boot to login/access anything, We currently PXE boot them into linux, and then run citrix. bootup is a few seconds and it logs straight into the terminal server.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    The fastest we have is a Intel® Desktop Board D510MO
    (they cost around £100 ea - £50 board, £40 case, £20 memory)
    The one I tested with 7 wouldn't run more than a few apps at once and took ages from boot to login/access anything, We currently PXE boot them into linux, and then run citrix. bootup is a few seconds and it logs straight into the terminal server.
    Bit of an unfair comparison, cutdown linux with remote software vs a fully fledged OS to run everything locally. Perhapse WinCE 7 or even XPE would be fairer comparisons.

Thank Post
    Just read all the posts, you can turn the metro UI off but running a command or there is a desktop gadget on codeplex for you to switch between the two.

All i'll say for now is that is not a beta, its a pre-beta and is there for development of apps rather than anything else.
    Last edited by apearce; 27th October 2011 at 01:51 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,630 Times in 1,938 Posts
    I like what Microsoft have done with the new Task Manager...

Using Task Manager with 64+ logical processors « Building Windows 8

Below is the Windows 7 Task Manager CPU performance tab on a system with 160 logical processors.

As you can see, it is really hard to compare the cells in the CPU Usage History table to each other. The graphs are hard to read, and if you want to compare instantaneous CPU utilization, it is nearly impossible because each cell is showing a moving 60-second graph. Moreover, all the graphs in the CPU Usage History table look identical, so you can’t easily find the processor ID for a specific graph. In our previous post on Task Manager, we discussed the benefits of using a heat map as a visualization to convey and compare large amounts of numerical data. When we looked at designing the graphs for the “many-core view” of the new performance dashboard, a heat map was a natural fit.

In the screen shots below, taken from a current build of Windows 8, it is now easy to see all the logical processors at a glance and know which are being utilized to high and low capacity.

Note: The screen shots below show Task Manager on a system with 160 logical processors with a simulated workload.

Thank Post
    A couple of features which could prove to be quite handy...

Q. Will it be possible to pause the copy operation and resume it after reboot/sleep/hibernate?
    A. In the beta, when a system sleeps or hibernates, the copy operation will automatically pause, and when the machine wakes, you can choose to resume the copy by clicking the depressed pause button. (We decided not to have copies automatically resume on wake, as the system environment may have changed significantly in the interim and we do not want to cause an error).

Q. You know when you start a big copy job and realize that you are doing it over the wireless so you grab a network cable and plug it in? Does the file copy know to utilize the faster connection now?
    A. If both sides of the copy operation are on Windows 8 machines, yes, it will be able to take advantage of the increased network throughput on the fly, thanks to advancements in the Server Message Block (SMB) protocol to support multiple channels.

Source: blogs.msdn.com/b/b8/archive/2012/01/30/acting-on-file-management-feedback.aspx

10. 2 Thanks to Arthur:

zag (2nd February 2012), ZeroHour (2nd February 2012)

Thank Post
    Although there are some nice features with Windows 8 (especially with Server 8) I still can't get around the idea that at first glance it is (primilary) tablet orientated.
    Maybe it's because I am just old skool! ( <- purposely spelt).

Yes, have the Metro mode, Yes, tablets are great and are very popular but I hope that (Metro) can be disabled by default for the millions of PCs still left in the world!

Change happens, some like it, some don't I just hope that Windows GPOs will allow us all to make the transition easier, and allow us to configure the OS to meet the needs and requirements of our clients (whether that is on a PC, tablet, mobile or a combination)

Windows 7 will not be the new XP because Windows 8 is not Vista | TechRepublic

zag
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Windows 8 is just the half way house between old desktops and new tablets. I reckon it will be another vista to be honest.

I'm sure Microsoft will allow us to skip metro on startup just like they let vista users go back to the "classic" start menu.

Thank Post
    Microsoft haven't forgotten about keyboard and mouse users...

People really shouldn't be basing their opinions of Windows 8 on what the developer preview looks like. Wait until the RTM version has been released and then make your mind up!
    Last edited by Arthur; 6th February 2012 at 10:24 PM.

zag
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    That solid green interface is horrendous.

What happened to the rule of having one common UI? I don't understand why you need to switch to an entire blank screen to search the start menu. Crazy.

Looks nearly as bad as the windows mobile home screen

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur View Post

People really shouldn't be basing their opinions of Windows 8 on what the developer preview looks like. Wait until the RTM version has been released and then make your mind up!
    I'll be waiting for SP1 before making any decisions!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,438 Times in 988 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'll be waiting for SP1 before making any decisions!
    I'll be waiting for Windows 9...!

No, seriously, MS OSes are like Star Trek movies, only every other one is any good. 95 good, 98 bad, 98 SE good, ME bad, XP good, Vista bad, 7 good... 8 bad?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 8 of 47 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast