+ Post New Thread
Page 7 of 47 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast
Windows 8 Thread, Windows 8....urgh in Technical; Really not keen, don't like sideways scrolling on a website let alone on my main desktop... really doesn't suit a ...
    Thank Post
    Really not keen, don't like sideways scrolling on a website let alone on my main desktop... really doesn't suit a device without touch screen

One of the Windows 7 features I love is the jump lists... how is that going to work with the Metro interface? Will I have to have a tile for every document I want to quickly access or will it now require clicking down through levels of tiles to achieve something I could do with a quick swish of the mouse?

So far it seems MS are making change for the sake of it and trying to play catchup with a market that's passed them by... in doing so breaking the one thing they've done well recently (the Win 7 interface)

Just stumbled across this trying to figure out how to create a tile, thought it was a later MS preview!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8he4URO2UQ

Take note Microsoft
    Last edited by gshaw; 17th October 2011 at 11:53 AM.

Thank Post
    They have already re-added grouping by folders and reduced the size of the app list tiles since the developer preview so I imagine we will end up with something far more keyboard and mouse friendly by release. Still a loooong time to polish new interfaces. At least thread handling and memory footprint are both improved.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,747 Times in 2,321 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gshaw View Post
    Just stumbled across this trying to figure out how to create a tile, thought it was a later MS preview!

Windows 8: Three tiles of improvement. - YouTube

Take note Microsoft
    Not too much I hope, it was a tad busy and random for my tastes, kind of reminded me of Windows 3.0 with it's layouts at times. There are definitely improvements to be made but the slidy colour blocks from all sides bit can't be the best answer.

Thank Post
    The Metro themed notepad Window did remind me of Windows 1.0, fullscreen with 8-bit primary colours

I like the side and bottom slide-in windows but all that work just to re-invent the wheel of the standard Windows desktop experience does feel somewhat pointless

Thank Post
    Agreed, not a fan of side scrolling either & you will need a touchscreen

Thank Post
    There were a couple of peeps from MS in work today and had a chance to mention Win 8 to them

And they both said that there WILL be a GPO to disable MetroUI and it WILL behave like XP did when joined to a domain...

Thank Post
    Stuck it on an old, somewhat beat up, Samsung Q35 with 1.5GB of RAM and (so far) impressed with how quick it is.

Obviously a few niggles, but most of these are to do with the (currently) "forced" Metro UI at log on, which we know won't be the case in the final version. Apart from that, Windows defender doesn't seem to update well. Early days yet, though! Thinking about using it as my main OS on my school laptop as I'm never far from a "proper" machine should needs be.

I'd been thinking about a "convertible" laptop, but wasn't impressed by the specs in my price range. Hopefully by the time Windows 8 is out the choice will be much better as I can see it working really well on that type of machine.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,903 Times in 2,136 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gatt View Post
    And they both said that there WILL be a GPO to disable MetroUI and it WILL behave like XP did when joined to a domain...
    What happens when the Metro UI is disabled, but you still want to be able to run Metro apps?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LeMarchand View Post
    Stuck it on an old, somewhat beat up, Samsung Q35 with 1.5GB of RAM and (so far) impressed with how quick it is.
    I've been reading about improved speed with win8
    Windows 8: Early Speed Tests | PCMag.com

but every time I mention on edugeek that win7 is bloated and slow compared to linuxes or XP I seem to get shouted down by the win7 fans ?!?! Perhaps there was merit to my argument after all.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
    What happens when the Metro UI is disabled, but you still want to be able to run Metro apps?
    This is a good question as from what i've seen - disabling Metro disables everthign that is linked to it

Thank Post
    looks like IE10 is now tied into win8 now MS antitrust suit is over. Internet explorer is no longer optional on windows.

Antitrust Case Over, Microsoft Ties IE 10 To Win 8 - Slashdot

I guess that's the only was MS can rescue their rapidly dwindling IE marketshare...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberNerd View Post
    looks like IE10 is now tied into win8 now MS antitrust suit is over. Internet explorer is no longer optional on windows.

Antitrust Case Over, Microsoft Ties IE 10 To Win 8 - Slashdot

I guess that's the only was MS can rescue their rapidly dwindling IE marketshare...
    As is standard with Slashdot MS hate overtook reality, what they said was they were not commenting about any aspect of IE10 as it was not released yet. IE10's core libraries will be embedded in the OS as always just like OSX which needs an internal HTML interpreter to deal with the HTML content in the OS/help etc. The actual browser as a full GUI may or may not be bundled just like iOS or android but by all means lets make assumptions and single out MS again.

Thank Post
    Well yea, they can't move to an HTML5 based app system without having a browser or at least the rendering engine installed. So this is just slashdot being stupid.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post
    As is standard with Slashdot MS hate overtook reality, what they said was they were not commenting about any aspect of IE10 as it was not released yet. IE10's core libraries will be embedded in the OS as always just like OSX which needs an internal HTML interpreter to deal with the HTML content in the OS/help etc. The actual browser as a full GUI may or may not be bundled just like iOS or android but by all means lets make assumptions and single out MS again.
    I'm guessing they may have singled out MS here because they broke the law using anti competitive practices, unlike apple and google who didn't

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberNerd View Post
    I'm guessing they may have singled out MS here because they broke the law using anti competitive practices, unlike apple and google who didn't
    Give them time, I'm sure they'll get there. Both are being investigated in the US for breaches and given the incubater for unchecked monopolies that the US are that is telling.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 7 of 47 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast