+ Post New Thread
Page 40 of 47 FirstFirst ... 30363738394041424344 ... LastLast
Windows 8 Thread, Windows 8....urgh in Technical; I imagine it works beautifully on a tablet, but i just cant use it on a laptop...its just not intuitive!...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I imagine it works beautifully on a tablet, but i just cant use it on a laptop...its just not intuitive!

2. Thanks to Little-Miss from:

zag (29th January 2013)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,742 Times in 2,316 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: Windows 8....urgh

w8 is junk to manage so far but give it management tools and it will probably be like 7, everyone praising it for features that were in the prior version but views were swayed long before they even used it by the media.

A slight roll back of metro, 60% size when in desktop mode and proper management will probably do it. They just can't do it yet as they have to try and make as much out of the current version as they can before they are ready for the next one.

hey hey hey, stay outta my shed. STAY OUT OF MY SHED.
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberNerd View Post
    OK First of all, I know how to use Google so your passive-aggressive link game isn't welcome. The issue is that when someone makes a claim, it is up to them to defend it, not to shift the burden of proof, which is what you're trying to do here on someone else's behalf. I trust that clarifies my position on why I'm not interested in searching for proof myself for you.

Secondly, did you actually *look* at those links or did you just rush off to post the LMGTFY link here while feeling oh so clever? I've checked the first 3 pages and there's nothing solid there about buying reviews that I can see... just a lot of rumour and innuendo from sites likely to be biased against Microsoft (and thereby perhaps more prepared to print and believe the worse). Now while we'd all be fools to believe the sort of "astroturfing" discussed in some of those articles does not go on, it's hardly what I asked for is it?

Please don't waste my time. If you want to have a reasonable debate then have one. If you want to post LMGTFY links because you think that makes some kind of point then 4chan is down the hall and to your left.

Thank Post
    Install classic shell to give you your start menu back, i have 2 pcs with windows 8 in a domain using classic shell and everything "seams" fine up to now

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by busby View Post
    Install classic shell to give you your start menu back, i have 2 pcs with windows 8 in a domain using classic shell and everything "seams" fine up to now
    then you may as well run win7

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Re: Windows 8....urgh

Quote Originally Posted by sted View Post
    8 is more efficient with ram and network, it has smb3 way better file management/copy etc.

Much faster boot and logon thanks to hybernated sessions. Integrated av, better self repair for file systems etc.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sted View Post
    I see your point but it gives the user best of both worlds.

Thank Post
    I did a bad thing!

Thanks for ordering Windows 8
    Discounted price too tempting, Even if I don't install it for another 6 months until there's more reason for it, I know I'll do it one day once Vista annoys me enough

Steve

Thank Post
    No, repeat after me, I did a good thing!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Little-Miss View Post
    I imagine it works beautifully on a tablet, but i just cant use it on a laptop...its just not intuitive!
    And this is why I uninstalled it after my girlfriend installed it on my laptop!!

Thank Post
    Looks like another vista on our hands

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by thesk8rjesus View Post
    Looks like another vista on our hands
    Exactly, can be really decent if people give it a chance but most people won't give it the time of day and will wait for 9 as they made up their minds from the screenshots and a couple of days worth of use. There is some great stuff in there and the main drawbacks are the current lack of manageability for Metro.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    What @SYNACK said. Don't get me wrong, there are some good little touches in 8. But I just feel they've tried too hard to squish a tablet and PC OS into one.

Thank Post
    I've gone back to Windows 8 and I have to say, each time I use it I find it not as bad as the last time,

The only hangups I have are:
    The start screen: I kinda like it, but do miss the old start menu.
    Major Pain In The A** to install the RSAT tools - you have to download the en-US language pack first!
    .NET 3.5 is a pain to install as you need to have the DVD to hand to get it to install (Why MS?!)
    Can't seem to manage Hyper-V 2008 R2 hosts from Windows 8

Other than that I find it just as good as Windows 7 in most respects o day to day use, and the x64 version is much better with better driver support (my AverTV Voler Green HD USB TV Tuner works under x64 Windows 8, but not x64 Windows 7!)

I haven't done a proper benchmark, but the performance seems on par to that of Windows 7 if a tad better.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I will say it again I've been running Windows 8 now for a fair few months and even on a daily basis for work and I don't have a single issue with how it works on my laptop which has no touch screen... give it time, get used to how the new OS operates and you'll see it actually isn't that much different. If you glued yourself to using the start menu and crawling through it for your applications then be prepared to find it might not be as good as before, but why use a mouse when you have the power of search at your finger tips that is clean and streamlined!

I don't have a bad thing to say about it to be honest, and no that's without the Microsoft Cap On! ;-)

LOL

James.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread