+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 47 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
Windows 8 Thread, Windows 8....urgh in Technical; Give me a Mac any time!...... Only Joking, my useless doorstop of a Mac mini fails to read or eject ...
    Thank Post
    Give me a Mac any time!...... Only Joking, my useless doorstop of a Mac mini fails to read or eject any disks and it overheats itself to oblivion and shuts down constantly. On the plus side my living room door now stays open no problem.

Luckily My PC's don't have these issues.

Looking forward to the unified interface that Metro will bring to my electronics. The interface looks smart and intuitive on my Omnia 7, It's going to look great on the Xbox 360 after the next update and I'm sure it will make the Desktop/Portable experience more of a complete package.

Thank Post

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ihaveaproblem View Post
    They've touted the fast boot thing on all of their previous OS's, what they never say is that boot time doubles every time you actually install anything on it!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by scifidale View Post
    They've touted the fast boot thing on all of their previous OS's, what they never say is that boot time doubles every time you actually install anything on it!
    True :P Still the video was rather impressive and we can always hope that in a 'real world environment' it's just as fast

Thank Post
    Windows 8: classic desktop features [video] | WinRumors

I don't get it, the start menu has been killed off in the classic desktop mode, so hitting the windows key will dump you into the "metro/tablet" ui, from which you can start a classic app. It makes no sense to me.

Thank Post
    Windows 8 - Dev build from the show meant to arriving today with a public release at 3am uk: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/home/

32 and 64bit. No arm build.
    Last edited by Theblacksheep; 13th September 2011 at 08:37 PM.

Thank Post
    Just to clear any misunderstandings up the Tablet UI can be made the default but can veryyy easily be turned off in favour of the desktop UI - I can well imagine that Microsoft will create a GPO to turn this off (and make it hidden like you can with Media Centre) anyway.

Personally as a Windows Phone 7 user this does look very good and would be something compelling for me to have a look at another Tablet PC (ex Asus R2H owner here!) especially if someone can make something like the Acer Icona with a AMD Fusion processor and some SSD inside

Thank Post
    I've be interested to see how an organization is supposed to now to purchase manage / deploy these new Metro Style App for this new app store!?

Thank Post
    Just to clear any misunderstandings up the Tablet UI can be made the default but can veryyy easily be turned off in favour of the desktop UI - I can well imagine that Microsoft will create a GPO to turn this off (and make it hidden like you can with Media Centre) anyway.
    Yeah, I think I've seen a GPO screenshot somewhere saying that. But for the moment, the start menu is dead in the current builds.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DrCheese View Post
    Yeah, I think I've seen a GPO screenshot somewhere saying that. But for the moment, the start menu is dead in the current builds.
    Not to discount you but it can be seen clearly in this video - Improving our file management basics: copy, move, rename, and delete - Building Windows 8 - Site Home - MSDN Blogs

Thank Post
    That's an earlier build, it's gone for now in the dev builds

Windows 8: pictures, video, and a hands-on preview of the developer build | This is my next...

"Since there’s no longer a formal Start menu in the Windows 8 Developer Preview, "
    Same is pretty much said in my other link above.

Thank Post
    That's an earlier build, it's gone for now in the dev builds

Windows 8: pictures, video, and a hands-on preview of the developer build | This is my next...

Same is pretty much said in my other link above.
    On that link thers another photo of the normal start menu in some of the photos though?

Thank Post
    Where? the button is still there but it doesn't launch the start menu as we know it. The dev build is out at 3am so we'll know tomorrow :P

Thank Post
    Where? the button is still there but it doesn't launch the start menu as we know it. The dev build is out at 3am so we'll know tomorrow :P
    Sorry just saw the video - my best bet however is that this is the PC on 'tablet mode' and that when switched to 'desktop mode' you would get the normal start menu as we all know and love (well semi!).

Either way as you said all guess work till the preview is out.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 1,973 Posts
    From AnandTech...

Overall Windows 8 is extremely jarring right now from a desktop user perspective. Metro is the Windows shell, no ifs ands or butts. Metro applications can only be accessed through the Metro shell (i.e. the Start Screen), and the Metro shell is always what the tablet will boot up into. Explorer as we know it is the Metro shell – if you kill it, you kill Metro shell with it – so at this time it’s not possible to boot up into the traditional Windows desktop. Even if you could, the Start Menu is gone, replaced with Metro charms.

So what we’re really evaluating is the ability to use the Metro shell and Metro applications with a mouse. For all the good Microsoft has done implementing multi-touch, the mouse has clearly suffered as it currently stands. Click & drag does not operate the same as tap & drag, which creates some oddities when you want to scroll around. In fact scrolling is probably the biggest oversight right now, as the Metro style dictates applications are laid out left-to-right rather than top-to-bottom. The mouse wheel will (slowly) scroll through tiles on the Start Screen, but in other places such as the Microsoft BUILD application the mouse wheel is useless. In its place you have to drag a scroll bar around, which is about as fun as it was prior to mice coming with a wheel. (Source)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 47 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast