+ Post New Thread
Page 39 of 47 FirstFirst ... 29353637383940414243 ... LastLast
Windows 8 Thread, Windows 8....urgh in Technical; Originally Posted by echrada Windows 8 is an excellent OS, if only people would give it a proper try instead ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by echrada View Post
    Windows 8 is an excellent OS, if only people would give it a proper try instead of switching it on and say 'no start' button and then urghh.....! Please do not rubbish something you are not prepared to invest a little bit of time in.

I am running windows 8 on a PC, a laptop both with no touch and a tablet (Acer W510) and have found it to be fast, responsive and great to use.
    As a home user its fine but its just not manageable in a corporate environment

Thank Post
    Windows 8 is an excellent OS, if only people would give it a proper try instead of switching it on and say 'no start' button and then urghh.....! Please do not rubbish something you are not prepared to invest a little bit of time in.

I am running windows 8 on a PC, a laptop both with no touch and a tablet (Acer W510) and have found it to be fast, responsive and great to use.
    And I tried it for a month and then rolled back to Windows 7 as I had a large number of problems with it. Not just the start menu interface but other things too. There are good things in there but for me they were outweighed by the bad.

If only people would give other members the benefit of the doubt instead of assuming they all said "no start button and then urghh".

The question here isn't whether or not it's good for home use, that's a personal choice at the end of the day. The question here is how well will it behave in a professional educational environment. And I for one have my doubts about it doing well in the environment where I work.

Thank Post
    Fair enough!

Thank Post

Nope, Windows 8 is a botch job. Its neither a tablet OS, nor a desktop/laptop OS, its a mash up to try and enter both markets. Microsoft have totally lost their way with this.

I have invested enough time in it to realise its a non starter. Please do not assume that I simply switched it on and moaned about a missing start button. I have been using it in the real world, where administration and compatibility are what count, and its a failure whereas Windows 7 at least had the functionality we need.

I guess we, like many other places, will be downgrading licenses to run Windows 7 until a proper alternative comes along.
    Last edited by Sheridan; 28th January 2013 at 07:52 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,353 Times in 826 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: Windows 8....urgh

Gotta agree with the guys above.

Been using it as my work desktop since rtm now, and there's no feature that makes it better than 7

It's harder to manage, control and use - and as such I can't recommend it to my users.

That's not an improvement no matter your how you view it.

Obviously IMHO and YMMV, but that's my honest opinion

SPM

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by deceptivex View Post
    Look at the reviews mate, they are very nearly universally positive, not to mention the fact that carriers publically admitted that out of all the phones they sell, the Windows Phone's have the lowest return rate. Marketing is killing the phone nothing else, I've yet to meet anyone who has said "I don't like it". It's usually "I'd get it if it had this app" and with Nokia around the corner it's on it's way up. Holds the record for the fastest 0-10,000 apps.

Also, it isn't Windows Phone interface, it's the Metro UI interface that Microsoft have been designing for a while now.
    The problem with Windows Phone is that customers don't like it. You can buy good reviews, but paying customers are more difficult to please.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,033 Times in 813 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SPM View Post
    The problem with Windows Phone is that customers don't like it. You can buy good reviews, but paying customers are more difficult to please.
    Well, we have a student who has one and loves it. We debated it Friday lunchtime. Apparently its unique selling point that makes comparative phones on the market 'utter rubbish' is that it can link your xbox avatar with your telephone avatar - so if you change your xbox avatar it also changes on your phone. Previously I was guided by the utterly abysmal sales of windows phones, but after this conversation I can totally understand the hype!. I'll be taking a closer interest in this fantastic new technology!

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,963 Times in 2,178 Posts
    The problem with Windows Phone is that customers don't like it.
    Customers don't like Windows Phone, yet its market share is increasing. That makes sense!

Windows Phone is growing in Europe, particularly in Britain and Italy, with shares hitting 5.9 percent and 13.9 percent, respectively, up from just 2.2 percent and 2.8 percent a year ago.

Sunnebo explained: “It has been far slower than Microsoft would have liked, but Windows Phone is now starting to gain respectable shares in a number of key European countries. (Source)

Thank Post
    The problem with Windows Phone is that customers don't like it.
    *citation needed*

You can buy good reviews,
    If you're implying that happened, then again *citation needed*.

but paying customers are more difficult to please.
    I've not met many people who have a Windows phone, but all of the ones I have met have been pleased with it. Including a few students.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
    Customers don't like Windows Phone, yet its market share is increasing. That makes sense!
    Its minimal - in the time it's taken MS to get a couple of percentage points in the global smartphone sales, Android jumped up from circa 50% to 70%

Quote Originally Posted by Roberto View Post
    *citation needed*
    I think its fair to say that all large companies pay for reviews in some form or another, difficult to provide citation for common knowledge. Perhaps you could provide one to say it never happens.

I've not met many people who have a Windows phone, but all of the ones I have met have been pleased with it. Including a few students.
    Indeed. Same with WP7. I think the avatar thing really does it for me though. Having to hack its registry just to enable USB storage did put me off a tad though.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,963 Times in 2,178 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberNerd View Post
    in the time it's taken MS to get a couple of percentage points in the global smartphone sales, Android jumped up from circa 50% to 70%
    With Android and iOS having a combined global market share of 92% what chance do BB10, Firefox OS and Ubuntu for Phones have considering how long it has taken Windows Phone to get established? If these OSs can only manage to get a tiny percentage of the market are they going to be deemed failures too?

Also, if Samsung is the only company who can make a profit selling Android devices (largely down to how much they spend on advertising), what is that going to do to Android in the long term?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberNerd View Post
    I think its fair to say that all large companies pay for reviews in some form or another, difficult to provide citation for common knowledge. Perhaps you could provide one to say it never happens.
    Well no, perhaps I couldn't. If someone asserts (well implied here, to be fair) something then it's reasonable to ask them to defend their assertion/implication: Evidence of Microsoft paying a "reputable" publication for a good review.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Windows 8 = BURN IT WITH FIRE!

Oh sorry, were we being all serious and stuff?!

14. Thanks to Little-Miss from:

stevenlong1985 (29th January 2013)

Thank Post
    Well no, perhaps I couldn't. If someone asserts (well implied here, to be fair) something then it's reasonable to ask them to defend their assertion/implication: Evidence of Microsoft paying a "reputable" publication for a good review.
    start here: Let me google that for you

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Just obilterated Win8 on my new work Laptop and put Mint 12w/XFCE on it. Working flawlessly.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread