+ Post New Thread
Page 35 of 46 FirstFirst ... 2531323334353637383945 ... LastLast
Results 511 to 525 of 677
Windows 8 Thread, Windows 8....urgh in Technical; Originally Posted by gshaw Looking for a laptop for work use at the moment, considered the touchscreen convertibles but the ...
  1. #511

    LeMarchand's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    The deepest pits of hell
    Posts
    2,143
    Thank Post
    297
    Thanked 331 Times in 235 Posts
    Rep Power
    141
    Quote Originally Posted by gshaw View Post
    Looking for a laptop for work use at the moment, considered the touchscreen convertibles but the (OTT) price increase over similarly specced standard laptops doesn't make them a viable option and renders the touchscreen an expensive gimmick rather than core feature.
    I'm in the same situation: been told I can get a new laptop, and would love a convertible of some sort (or even one of the "full on" W8 tablets - I've got a Bluetooth keyboard) but there's no way the school would stretch to that sort of price.

  2. #512


    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    51.405546, -0.510212
    Posts
    8,709
    Thank Post
    220
    Thanked 2,615 Times in 1,926 Posts
    Rep Power
    777
    Quote Originally Posted by gshaw View Post
    Personally I think the hardware side of Windows 8 thus far has been really poor.
    Most OEMs have been waiting until CES to announce/release products which is unfortunately timed to be after Christmas.

    Quote Originally Posted by gshaw View Post
    I still think preventing businesses using Windows RT is a big fail
    Microsoft aren't preventing businesses using them, although RT devices are primarily aimed at consumers. Why would they sell an optional commercial use license for Office Home & Student 2013 RT? They can also be managed to a certain extent via Windows InTune.







  3. #513
    gshaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Essex
    Posts
    2,648
    Thank Post
    164
    Thanked 217 Times in 200 Posts
    Rep Power
    66
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberNerd View Post
    Android/ChromeBooks with Google Apps already has filled that niche.
    Not if you want the full powered MS Office experience rather than cut-down Google Apps - not everyone wants 100% cloud and Google in charge of their data. Microsoft has a better blend of internal \ cloud that you can choose how far you want to go, rather than Google's "you're in or you're out" stance.

    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
    Most OEMs have been waiting until CES to announce/release products which is unfortunately timed to be after Christmas.

    Microsoft aren't preventing businesses using them, although RT devices are primarily aimed at consumers. Why would they sell an optional commercial use license for Office Home & Student 2013 RT? They can also be managed to a certain extent via Windows InTune.
    Why would I want to be forced to use a cut down web-based management product if I've invested in the all-encompassing SCCM infrastructure for everything else? Why would I want to be restricted to what policies I can apply when I have powerful GPO control for the rest of my network? As it stands the device is a 2nd class citizen in terms of the rest of the Microsoft product range and it really doesn't need to be.

    Interestingly in the graphic posted above I thought SCCM 2012 could manage Android devices and didn't need InTune or has that changed?
    Last edited by gshaw; 7th January 2013 at 03:29 PM.

  4. #514


    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    8,202
    Thank Post
    442
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    Rep Power
    339
    Quote Originally Posted by gshaw View Post
    Microsoft has a better blend of internal \ cloud that you can choose how far you want to go, rather than Google's "you're in or you're out" method.
    You have to have a full sharepoint setup and Office licenses everywhere for that to be effective. That's extraordinarily expensive for schools to do.

  5. #515


    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    51.405546, -0.510212
    Posts
    8,709
    Thank Post
    220
    Thanked 2,615 Times in 1,926 Posts
    Rep Power
    777
    Quote Originally Posted by gshaw View Post
    Interestingly in the graphic posted above I thought SCCM 2012 could manage Android devices and didn't need InTune or has that changed?
    You definitely need InTune to manage Android devices.

  6. #516
    gshaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Essex
    Posts
    2,648
    Thank Post
    164
    Thanked 217 Times in 200 Posts
    Rep Power
    66
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberNerd View Post
    You have to have a full sharepoint setup and Office licenses everywhere for that to be effective. That's extraordinarily expensive for schools to do.
    EES = Office installed locally everywhere
    EES = Office 365 everywhere, free with EES for the standard package

    Wouldn't bother running an internal SharePoint now for most reasonably sized organisations as the 365 version would do the trick for student \ staff collaboration. File storage however can go wherever you prefer it to be and doesn't have to be all-or-nothing i.e. put your file shares where you want and use as much \ little of the cloud service to suit your needs.

    Cost = same as what you pay for Office anyway (unless you've junked it completely for Google Apps, not many people gone down that road yet as far as I know)
    Last edited by gshaw; 7th January 2013 at 04:23 PM.

  7. #517


    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    8,202
    Thank Post
    442
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    Rep Power
    339
    Quote Originally Posted by gshaw View Post
    EES = Office installed locally everywhere
    EES = Office 365 everywhere, free with EES for the standard package

    Wouldn't bother running an internal SharePoint now for most reasonably sized organisations as the 365 version would do the trick for student \ staff collaboration. File storage however can go wherever you prefer it to be and doesn't have to be all-or-nothing i.e. put your file shares where you want and use as much \ little of the cloud service to suit your needs.
    Cost = same as what you pay for Office anyway (unless you've junked it completely for Google Apps, not many people gone down that road yet as far as I know)
    The problem with not using sharepoint and using Office 365 is that you get all of the disadvantages of office 365 - yet none of the advantages of sharepoint. All of your documents are in MS cloud and you end up needing to pay for the A3 plan to get the full advantage of being able to use any of the advanced features which MS inconveniently left out of the Office 365 web application. We costed that at 40,000 per year . Compare to Google Docs you get automatic sync of MSOffice files, Google drive to sync mapped homedrives plus the collaborative tools - so you can still have EES AND Google docs and have both benefits, plus you get Android and chromebook devices at a fraction of the cost.
    Last edited by CyberNerd; 7th January 2013 at 05:50 PM.

  8. #518
    gshaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Essex
    Posts
    2,648
    Thank Post
    164
    Thanked 217 Times in 200 Posts
    Rep Power
    66
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberNerd View Post
    and you end up needing to pay for the A3 plan to get the full advantage of being able to use any of the advanced features which MS inconveniently left out of the Office 365 web application
    Which ones did you find to be the deal breakers that aren't in there? On the hardware side again you prove the point at the top of the page that the MS devices are just too pricey for what they are.

  9. #519


    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    8,202
    Thank Post
    442
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    Rep Power
    339
    Quote Originally Posted by gshaw View Post
    Which ones did you find to be the deal breakers that aren't in there?
    Collaboration vs Google Docs

  10. #520


    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    51.405546, -0.510212
    Posts
    8,709
    Thank Post
    220
    Thanked 2,615 Times in 1,926 Posts
    Rep Power
    777
    Microsoft: 60 million Windows 8 licenses sold to date ZDNet

    Microsoft officials said the company has sold 60 million Windows 8 licenses to date.

    Tami Reller, Chief Financial and Chief Marketing Officer for Windows shared the data at the JP Morgan Tech Forum at the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas on January 8.

    That 60 million figure includes "sell in to OEMs for new PCs" and upgrades, said Reller. She didn't explicitly cite whether the figure also includes any Enterprise Agreement/volume license sales.

    "Windows 8 is a big, ambitious change," Reller acknowledged. She reiterated that Windows 8 sales are roughly in line with Windows 7 sales.

    Microsoft said the company had sold 40 million licenses of Windows 8 as of the end of November.

    Reller said the sales are "roughly in line with where we would have been with Windows 7."

    NPD has cited that retail demand for Windows 8 was off through the end of 2012.

    In part, Windows 8's less-than-stellar retail sales can be attributed to the lack of touch-enabled laptops and tablets running the operating system. At CES this week, a number of Microsoft's PC-maker partners have announced new touch-screen Windows 8 and Windows RT hardware, but a number of these still won't be available for months.

  11. #521

    sparkeh's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    6,717
    Thank Post
    1,267
    Thanked 1,639 Times in 1,096 Posts
    Blog Entries
    22
    Rep Power
    504
    A more independent view on those sales figures: Microsoft pats self on back over Windows 8 sales ? The Register
    And something on the future of MS: 'Not even Santa could save Microsoft's Windows 8' ? The Register

  12. #522
    zag
    zag is offline
    zag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    3,738
    Thank Post
    894
    Thanked 414 Times in 348 Posts
    Blog Entries
    12
    Rep Power
    85
    They have sold 60 million copies because you cannot buy windows 7 machines any more in stores.

    Its nice having a monopoly sometimes
    Last edited by zag; 9th January 2013 at 08:59 AM.

  13. #523


    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Leeds
    Posts
    6,506
    Thank Post
    227
    Thanked 848 Times in 727 Posts
    Rep Power
    287
    Quote Originally Posted by zag View Post
    They have sold 60 million copies because you cannot buy windows 7 machines any more in stores.

    Its nice having a monopoly sometimes
    only if you can play as the boot

  14. #524

    tmcd35's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Norfolk
    Posts
    5,575
    Thank Post
    834
    Thanked 873 Times in 726 Posts
    Blog Entries
    9
    Rep Power
    324
    Quote Originally Posted by zag View Post
    They have sold 60 million copies because you cannot buy windows 7 machines any more in stores.

    Its nice having a monopoly sometimes
    How many of the 60 million are corporate licences? We'll be buying into to EES next month, does that count even though we're using the licenses to downgrade to Win7?

  15. #525

    sparkeh's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    6,717
    Thank Post
    1,267
    Thanked 1,639 Times in 1,096 Posts
    Blog Entries
    22
    Rep Power
    504
    Quote Originally Posted by tmcd35 View Post
    How many of the 60 million are corporate licences? We'll be buying into to EES next month, does that count even though we're using the licenses to downgrade to Win7?
    Yep that counts. As does OEM licences for devices that haven't even been built yet.
    Licences sold is not a good measure of success. It vastly over inflates the success when compared to actual installs.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 19th March 2012, 08:58 AM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 28th February 2011, 01:42 PM
  3. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 26th May 2010, 05:29 PM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 4th September 2009, 12:48 AM
  5. Urgh ! The Pox be upon us !
    By Jake in forum General Chat
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 21st March 2007, 11:50 PM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •