+ Post New Thread
Page 29 of 47 FirstFirst ... 1925262728293031323339 ... LastLast
Windows 8 Thread, Windows 8....urgh in Technical; Originally Posted by ZeroHour That could result in less motivation to move devs to the app store which is what ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,436 Times in 987 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ZeroHour View Post
    That could result in less motivation to move devs to the app store which is what MS wants to get WP8 boosted too.
    They can go to dev's at christmas we have X devices out there that will ONLY run app store software, there is a market build your apps now and you can port to WP8 too. All the christmas sales too are then RT only and they release the pro in Jan/Feb ready for enterprise to test for the upcoming budget.
    I was going to ask - now that WP8 has shifted to the NT Kernel, are RT & WP8 apps compatible now? That'll help their phone platform no end.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,314 Times in 798 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sonofsanta View Post
    I was going to ask - now that WP8 has shifted to the NT Kernel, are RT & WP8 apps compatible now? That'll help their phone platform no end.
    Not write once run everywhere but a large amount of RT api is compatible I believe so a lot of code can be reused. You have to build a different/tweaked interface though.
    I have just got the WP8 sdk installed so going to look at it all soon and yeh this I think is part of the plan. I heard they wanted it to be even less work to port but ran out of time which is why you have to redo parts of the gui but not base code.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Last edited by jinnantonnixx; 19th November 2012 at 06:39 PM.

4. Thanks to jinnantonnixx from:

Mr.Ben (19th November 2012)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,630 Times in 1,938 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by flyinghaggis View Post
    You know things are bad when Paul Thurrott's complaining about Microsoft Tech!
    There's a reason Paul is doing lots of Windows 8 bashing...

Thurrott wanted internal Windows 8 pre-release builds for help in writing his book. Sinofsky didn't agree, so Thurrott started bashing Windows 8. This got worse when he wasn't given an early Surface review unit. Since then he has tried in every way possible to put Windows 8 and Sinofsky in a bad light. (Source)

Thank Post
    I've taken the plunge and not only upgraded my home PC to Windows 8 (which I really like!) but I've just ditched my iPhone 4 for a Nokia Lumia 920.

After 3 years of iOS I'm finding Windows Phone 8 a very freshing change. It's quick! The app store is still in it's early days, but even so I'm not missing much.

Thank Post
    Had they kept the Start Menu/Desktop as default, made metro an option or default on a tablet edition and not washed out all colour and life i would be thinking about deploying Windows 8 soon, because everything else about Windows 8 is good, i have always liked the ribbon in Office so bringing it to explorer i like, its quicker, direct access is much easier in it.

But i should not have to take anti sickness tablets everytime i use it from the flicking between metro and where i want to be desktop, and i should not have to buy endless paracitmol from the headaches of this rubbish GUI. I managed to flick to Mac OS no problem and i enjoy it, so its not because its different, its because it is actually trash and badly designed.
    Last edited by Quackers; 12th December 2012 at 10:39 AM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    @Arcolite I have a 920 as well, in red ooooh

Thank Post
    Lived with W8 for a few weeks now -

Metro is pointless....
    The lack of a start button really frustrates me and the hover, click, scroll, click just elongates the process.
    I do like the ability to have a thumbnail of something running in the corner of the desktop (In my case Remote Desktop) and the simple way you change between them.
    The ribbon interface, while it works in office, just complicates simple tasks in explorer.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ZeroHour View Post
    @Arcolite I have a 920 as well, in red ooooh
    Ooooooh! I went for a white one
    It's lovely!!

Thank Post
    Hoorah for the 920 club! Mine is White/Stormtrooper too

Thank Post
    I'm waiting to look at the Samsung Ativ S (S3 with Windows Phone 8 on!), or wait for more release on the additional handset which HTC is working on..

[Patiently waiting for Windows Phone 7.8 in the meantime]

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Quackers View Post
    Had they kept the Start Menu/Desktop as default, made metro an option or default on a tablet edition and not washed out all colour and life i would be thinking about deploying Windows 8 soon, because everything else about Windows 8 is good, i have always liked the ribbon in Office so bringing it to explorer i like, its quicker, direct access is much easier in it.

But i should not have to take anti sickness tablets everytime i use it from the flicking between metro and where i want to be desktop, and i should not have to buy endless paracitmol from the headaches of this rubbish GUI. I managed to flick to Mac OS no problem and i enjoy it, so its not because its different, its because it is actually trash and badly designed.
    I agree with this post, had they kept the Windows 7 start menu and given Metro as an alternative shell (think KDE/Gnome/Unity) then it would be SO much better. It feels like a reverse of Windows Mobile 6 and before where they tried to bring a desktop to a mobile device, this time its a mobile device to a desktop!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CHR1S View Post
    Lived with W8 for a few weeks now -

Metro is pointless....
    The lack of a start button really frustrates me and the hover, click, scroll, click just elongates the process.
    I can't understand this argument. Metro is the Start Menu; it's just laid out differently and accessed slightly differently. Mouse and click (or, presumably, finger and press - not tried it on a touchscreen) down to where the Start Button was or press the Windows Key, start typing and then click or press enter, which is the same process I've used since Vista.

I find the fact that I need a 3rd party application to standardize the style of the Metro buttons for older programs far more annoying.

Quote Originally Posted by Quackers View Post
    But i should not have to take anti sickness tablets everytime i use it from the flicking between metro and where i want to be desktop
    I can sort of see this argument - though I guess it depends on how many programs you regularly use. I have the few I use daily pinned to the desktop taskbar, but I guess some may have too many to do that with.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    A group for those of you with Windows Phones ( Windows Phone Owners Club - EduGeek.net )

16. Thanks to ZeroHour from:

Jamoire (12th December 2012)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by LeMarchand View Post
    I can't understand this argument. Metro is the Start Menu; it's just laid out differently and accessed slightly differently. Mouse and click (or, presumably, finger and press - not tried it on a touchscreen) down to where the Start Button was or press the Windows Key, start typing and then click or press enter, which is the same process I've used since Vista.
    Well, that's the issue, its a full screen, over complex, under developed, moving checker board! Than in most circumstances requires much more time/effort/brain power to do simple things than a traditional start menu ever did.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread