+ Post New Thread
Page 28 of 47 FirstFirst ... 1824252627282930313238 ... LastLast
Windows 8 Thread, Windows 8....urgh in Technical; Originally Posted by CyberNerd have you seen this? http://www.edugeek.net/forums/news/1...vice-pack.html That's crazy....
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberNerd View Post
    That's crazy.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,314 Times in 798 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberNerd View Post
    Microsoft (at least with Windows 8) have changed from doing traditional service packs to smaller, more frequent service releases as they call them.
    I wonder if Windows 7 will be the same.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,630 Times in 1,938 Posts
    Microsoft CEO says Windows 8 demand outpaces Windows 7

Microsoft Corp Chief Executive Steve Ballmer said on Monday demand for the company's new Windows 8 operating system, released to the public on Friday, was running at a higher rate than its last release, Windows 7.

"We're seeing preliminary demand well above where we were with Windows 7, which is gratifying," Ballmer said at an event launching new Windows phones.

Windows 7 is the best-selling version of Windows so far, selling more than 670 million licenses in three years since release in 2009.

"Over the weekend we saw an incredible response around the globe to Windows 8 and the Microsoft Surface," said Ballmer, referring to Microsoft's first own-brand tablet, designed to challenge Apple Inc's iPad. He did not give out any sales figures.

On Friday, there were moderate lines at Microsoft's 60 or so stores across the United States for the Surface.

Thank Post
    Windows 8 looks like android version.

Thank Post
    Why they did not just make it so you could force desktop mode an forget about Metro? Sheesh ...

zag
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Good article here:

Windows 8 Sales Well Below Projections, Plenty of Blame to Go Around

http://winsupersite.com/windows-8/wi...lame-go-around

Love this quote

Itís a floor wax. No, itís a dessert topping. Microsoftís new whatever-the-F-it-is operating system is a confusing, Frankensteinís monster mix of old and new that hides a great desktop upgrade under a crazy Metro front-end.
    Last edited by zag; 19th November 2012 at 10:03 AM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by zag View Post
    Good article here:

Windows 8 Sales Well Below Projections, Plenty of Blame to Go Around

http://winsupersite.com/windows-8/wi...lame-go-around
    Good artcle that. You know things are bad when Paul Thurrot's complaining about Microsoft Tech!

My take on Windows 8's sales woes is mainly down to the lack of decent tablet hardware being available and MS 'muddying the waters' with the branch out into WindowsRT. Even if I wanted to buy a Windows8 tablet there's literally nothing out there just now I'd be interested in. Most of the current kit is just Windows7 tech with poor quality low-res touch screens bolted on and extortionate price tags.

As the article says I think most people are playing the waiting game to see what happens when Intel release Clovertrail/Haswell in the hope we finally get some decent looking hardware. If someone came to me just now and asked which Windows8 device to buy I'd tell them to wait which is likely Microsoft's biggest probelm!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I think the sales woes were always going to happen. I mean, this time there seems to be no clear strategy on who it is aimed for. Even at £30 an upgrade I cant see many home customers wanting to rush out and upgrade their Win7 machines as they might have done with XP. I think business/edu types are put off by the interface, that and they have just switched from XP to 7, Win 9 is likely to be next on their raider. OEMs probably cant see how to integrate it with existing lines without touchscreens and until there's an outcry in demand for touchscreen PC's I can't see them being in a rush to push a switch over. That just leaves tables, a market saturated and dominated by Apple and Google.

I see what MS are trying to do with their "touch first" policy, but really they have quiet predictably shot themselves in the foot with it. Lets hope they come to their senses for Win9 (or touchscreen monitors become common place).

Thank Post
    Agree with the poor quality of kit from OEMs thus far, there's nothing out there apart from the Surface that looks anywhere near up to the quality of the competition. Lenovo maybe at a push but haven't really seen nor heard much of it. Can understand MS being frustrated there tbh. Pricing is also really bad as it stands, £700-800 for a decent spec tablet running full Win8 is too much and smacks of profiteering imo.

As noted in that article the delay in launching the Surface Pro is crazy, as is the two different product lines with different feature sets.

- you can have thin & light, good battery life and OK pricing but no good for businesses

or

- you can have more power and desktop mode, but as a result heavier and a lot more expensive but you can manage it with standard enterprise tools

The word or is what's wrong, said it before and I'll say it again, the RT should be as manageable as the Pro just with the caveat of Metro-only apps. Ask business users if they'd take that compromise to replace iPads (bearing in mind Office works on there) and I bet they'd snap MS' hand off.

As it stands it's RT seems a bit pointless I wonder if consumers will "get" it and not be frustrated why their existing apps won't work; business won't want it as you can't manage the thing on a domain. Result is everyone sits on the fence and waits 3 months for the Pro and will no doubt be disappointed by the price. I still can't see it only being slightly more expensive than the RT as if price isn't an issue there's no need to release a lower spec device to confuse the product range?

If what's said in the article is true about Cloverleaf and Intel are having problems with it MS could be waiting a while longer for affordable Win8 Pro devices to appear on the market (ouch)

Very strange product launch and decisions from MS at a time when they really needed to get it right first time and hit the ground running.
    Last edited by gshaw; 19th November 2012 at 11:40 AM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by flyinghaggis View Post
    Good artcle that. You know things are bad when Paul Thurrot's complaining about Microsoft Tech!

My take on Windows 8's sales woes is mainly down to the lack of decent tablet hardware being available and MS 'muddying the waters' with the branch out into WindowsRT. Even if I wanted to buy a Windows8 tablet there's literally nothing out there just now I'd be interested in. Most of the current kit is just Windows7 tech with poor quality low-res touch screens bolted on and extortionate price tags.

As the article says I think most people are playing the waiting game to see what happens when Intel release Clovertrail/Haswell in the hope we finally get some decent looking hardware. If someone came to me just now and asked which Windows8 device to buy I'd tell them to wait which is likely Microsoft's biggest probelm!
    I keep saying:

Wait until Windows 9....

11. Thanks to Jamo from:

zag (19th November 2012)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tmcd35 View Post
    That just leaves tables, a market saturated and dominated by Apple and Google.

And Ikea

13. Thanks to Jamo from:

tmcd35 (19th November 2012)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,436 Times in 987 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The stupid spec & price of the Surface Pro is blatantly an attempt to profiteer from enterprise; there's not a lot stopping them going with an Atom powered x86 tablet (or even a low-end ULV i3) but they know that enterprise has spent three years in a tussle between execs wanting shiny toys and IT departments wanting manageable kit. Everyone will jump at the Surface Pro as it's finally a solution to both sides, and so what if it costs £1,000? Execs want their toys, and IT want their peace.

Just us muggins in education sat waiting for an affordable version.

I think they've made a mistake betting everything on touch, not because it's only suitable for a subset of form factors, but because it's just a step on the way to gesture. When the Leap comes out, and the software support picks up, it will blow touch away. I can actually imagine using gesture on a desktop as an additional input to swipe, zoom, or manipulate in 3D; but the thought of touchscreen monitors on a desktop makes my shoulders ache just thinking about it.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sonofsanta View Post
    The stupid spec & price of the Surface Pro is blatantly an attempt to profiteer from enterprise; there's not a lot stopping them going with an Atom powered x86 tablet (or even a low-end ULV i3) but they know that enterprise has spent three years in a tussle between execs wanting shiny toys and IT departments wanting manageable kit. Everyone will jump at the Surface Pro as it's finally a solution to both sides, and so what if it costs £1,000? Execs want their toys, and IT want their peace.
    This approach didn't make sense to me either but I think Microsoft releasing the Surface pro with such a high price/spec was more of a warning shot across the bows of the other OEMs. Basically Balmer's way of saying "Here's us starting to encroach on the top-end devices. If you guys don't sort yourselves out and bring out decent low/mid range hardware we'll do it ourselves....!"

I expect MS will release an atom/i3 ULV based surface in time but I think they wanted to 'incentivise' the other OEMs to get theirs out the door first

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,314 Times in 798 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by flyinghaggis View Post
    This approach didn't make sense to me either but I think Microsoft releasing the Surface pro with such a high price/spec was more of a warning shot across the bows of the other OEMs. Basically Balmer's way of saying "Here's us starting to encroach on the top-end devices. If you guys don't sort yourselves out and bring out decent low/mid range hardware we'll do it ourselves....!"

I expect MS will release an atom/i3 ULV based surface in time but I think they wanted to 'incentivise' the other OEMs to get theirs out the door first
    Tbh I am starting to wonder if MS did it to prove to OEM's if you build it (high end/quality) they will come. Really other then a few select laptops over the years nothing has had a high end feel of Apple stuff, also because not many OEM's other than apple target the high end MS may have priced it to keep the OEM's happy. I suspect there are a few now trying to up their game to match the surfaces build and compete at the high end though.
    MS delaying the Pro was probably to primarily allow the RT and app store to flesh out, if the pro was on sale on day one I wonder how many they would have sold versus the RT. I suspect if people thought we can get an albeit more expensive tablet, but it runs all windows software like before a fair few would go the pro route reducing sales/needs of the app store. That could result in less motivation to move devs to the app store which is what MS wants to get WP8 boosted too.
    They can go to dev's at christmas we have X devices out there that will ONLY run app store software, there is a market build your apps now and you can port to WP8 too. All the christmas sales too are then RT only and they release the pro in Jan/Feb ready for enterprise to test for the upcoming budget.
    Last edited by ZeroHour; 19th November 2012 at 01:42 PM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread