+ Post New Thread
Page 26 of 47 FirstFirst ... 1622232425262728293036 ... LastLast
Windows 8 Thread, Windows 8....urgh in Technical; Originally Posted by sonofsanta They not only had the chance to introduce fully managed tablets, but with their expertise in ...
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sonofsanta View Post
    They not only had the chance to introduce fully managed tablets, but with their expertise in the Kinect and the upcoming release of the Leap (done by a small company they could easily have swallowed) they had the chance to push past touch to gesture interfaces and really drive the market forward.

But then, Ballmer being a directionless CEO is hardly news, is it.
    Christ that leap is cool!

Not sure how often I throw wizzy 3d maps around but when I do it will be great!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamo View Post

It has two levels of cool.

1 - It is an amazing little bit of kit (the resolution is incredible)
    2 - It is totally leveraging the Apple cool device look. It's an innocuous little black slab that looks a "little" bit like a mini iPhone.

Item 2 would see it achieve unprecedented sales figures alone! Just by fanboi's mistakenly buying it on impulse

Wonder what the height map is on it.
    If you could just have a keyboard layout printed on your desk (or on a sheet of acetate) and the thing was sensitive enough to detect your typing locations...
    Shiny.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,630 Times in 1,103 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamo View Post

Maybe not, but if everything is heading that way, I'd sure as hell prefer not to have to stretch my arm all the way out to my monitor just to cover it with smudges. I'd rather be able to go to the next email with a casual flick of the hand I'm leaning on as I fall asleep at my desk than end up at the doctors with a bad shoulder from poking my screen all day long.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,070 Times in 626 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sonofsanta View Post
    They not only had the chance to introduce fully managed tablets, but with their expertise in the Kinect and the upcoming release of the Leap (done by a small company they could easily have swallowed) they had the chance to push past touch to gesture interfaces and really drive the market forward.

But then, Ballmer being a directionless CEO is hardly news, is it.
    You have to remember they did bring out a tablet before but no one was interested. Stick a stupid logo on the front with a man in jeans and a black sweater and the loons just fall over themsevles to part with their money....

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mattx View Post
    You have to remember they did bring out a tablet before but no one was interested. Stick a stupid logo on the front with a man in jeans and a black sweater and the loons just fall over themsevles to part with their money....
    No... if memory serves, I think it they developed something reasonable but Bill G canned it as it didn't fit with Windows.

The inside story of how Microsoft killed its Courier tablet
    Last edited by jinnantonnixx; 3rd October 2012 at 05:31 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jinnantonnixx View Post
    No... if memory serves, I think it they developed something reasonable but Bill G canned it as it didn't fit with Windows.

The inside story of how Microsoft killed its Courier tablet
    Oh sorry, did not realise that Windows XP Tablet PC Edition was not really a tablet edition then....

Pen Input: Tablet PCs include digital pens that you use to control the computer and to write text in your own handwriting.
    Tablet PC Input Panel: Input Panel is an on-screen keyboard and writing pad. With Input Panel, you can type text without your standard keyboard.
    Microsoft Windows Journal: Windows Journal turns your Tablet PC into a writing pad.
    Microsoft Sticky Notes: You can use Sticky Notes to create and manage short handwritten or voice notes in the same manner that you would keep a stack of paper sticky notes.
    Handwriting Recognition and Conversion: You can write in your own handwriting, and then convert it to typed text.
    Speech Recognition: Tablet PCs have built-in speech-recognition capabilities.
    Document Annotation: You can annotate imported documents with a Tablet PC pen.
    Reading: Your Tablet PC uses Microsoft ClearType technology and a high-resolution display.
    Screen Rotation: You can quickly rotate your screen for landscape or portrait viewing.
    Gestures: You can use your Tablet PC pen to make "gestures." "Gestures" are movements with the pen that complete common tasks.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    ^^^^^^

You have to remember they did bring out a tablet before but no one was interested..
    Hell, we actually had one of these in the office. Not only was no-one interested, but I had completely forgotten about it.
    Last edited by jinnantonnixx; 3rd October 2012 at 05:56 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,630 Times in 1,103 Posts
    Blog Entries
    To be fair, Apple did more than stick a shiny logo on their tablet - the difference between them and MS was that MS always approached it as a sizing down of a full-fat PC, which never worked because fingers (attached to a hand that gets in the way) are never going to be as precise as a KB+M combo. Apple came at it from the other angle, sizing up a mobile OS such that the touch interface made sense and the screen estate felt sizeable and liberating, rather than cramped (as Windows on a 10" screen does). It helped that iOS was usable, as well, unlike Windows Mobile 6.5 - not to mention capacitive vs. resistive (and the multitouch that brought).

MS have finally cottoned onto this, sizing up Windows Phone 7 into full-fat Windows 8, just that they've thrown the baby out with the bathwater and completely neglected KB+M in the UI for those of us who still like precision in our long computer sessions.

The touchscreen laptops with swivel screens will always seem cool to me, though. The company I worked at in Switzerland used to buy a handful every year just in case they were useful yet. How I miss corporate indulgence!

Thank Post
    I agree... But Windows 95, "The grand daddy of all OS's". LOL

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,013 Times in 825 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Oh sorry, did not realise that Windows XP Tablet PC Edition was not really a tablet edition then....
    If you used it (which I have) then you'd know the answer to that question. Same answer to this question...

"Is Windows 8 a tablet OS?"

Seriously? Have you tried? Hell NO!!! lol.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,749 Times in 2,322 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tmcd35 View Post
    If you used it (which I have) then you'd know the answer to that question. Same answer to this question...

"Is Windows 8 a tablet OS?"

Seriously? Have you tried? Hell NO!!! lol.
    I liked tablet edition and it did have a market in some corp stuff and with those that could use a pen. I like 7 in tablet mode too, not via finger touch though.

MS always got on it too early for most people though, WinMo eclipsed the featureset of the initial iPhone before nokia started using coloured screens. MS's management does have a PHD in running stuff though, they canned the xbox and it took some dedicated employees to keep it going.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,013 Times in 825 Posts
    Blog Entries
    To be fair the one thing MS have, and the others are still missing, is handwriting recognition. I've tried both XP and 7 on tablets and that was the only feature I found useful. Win 8 seems to me that you can only really use it on a tablet, but I just don't like the idea of endlessly scrolling tiles to find what you want.

Alas the story of M$ and tablets seems to be - right ideas, wrong execution. Still too late now Apple and Google have that and the phone markets tied up. It's going to take more than Win 8 for a third player to successfully break in to those markets.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,749 Times in 2,322 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tmcd35 View Post
    To be fair the one thing MS have, and the others are still missing, is handwriting recognition. I've tried both XP and 7 on tablets and that was the only feature I found useful. Win 8 seems to me that you can only really use it on a tablet, but I just don't like the idea of endlessly scrolling tiles to find what you want.

Alas the story of M$ and tablets seems to be - right ideas, wrong execution. Still too late now Apple and Google have that and the phone markets tied up. It's going to take more than Win 8 for a third player to successfully break in to those markets.
    The WP7 phones are compelling in their no BS way of handling information. They can take huge amounts of data and make it manageable while still keeping a quick simple and clean UI. Sadly they have diluted this a bit in 8 but I'll still be getting one. For a pc the UI is a tad malformed as it was really for tablets/phones. The optimisations are good though, ram, cpu, file system, diagnostics etc.

We did Vista and SP1 onwards was way better for us than XP with self fixing of most of the problems we had automagicly. Personally the UI of 8 does still bug me on a desktop but from my deployments with staff they love it. Has not hit the problem maker users yet which would have a 'problem' if the colours changed but those screaches are expected.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,964 Times in 2,179 Posts
    Windows 8 Perspectives - The power user and the teenager

The Teenager Perspective
    A few months ago at Tech Ed, Microsoft provided everyone at a press/analyst gathering with a slate pre-loaded with Windows 8, so I came away with Samsung device and various accessories to play with. When I got this home, my teenage daughter (14 years old) asked to have a look, and about 15 minutes later she declared "This is SOOO much better than my iPad". I haven't seen much of the device since because she has been practically living on it, while the iPad has sat there with a flat battery gathering dust.

So what's the appeal to a socially-oriented teenager who, like all her friends, is an obsessive multi-tasking online communicator?

My daughter calls out a few things about the Samsung that she really likes. Firstly, there's the versatility. The Samsung came with a docking station into which can be plugged a monitor, network cable, keyboard, mouse, and any USB storage device or other peripheral you want. Windows 8 is then very slick in the way it handles docking and undocking - you simply drop the slate into the dock or remove it at will, and within a few seconds the machine sorts itself out. Great if you are doing homework at your desk one minute, then rushing out of the door to a sleepover the next.

Mentioning homework, the other thing my daughter likes is that the machine runs Microsoft Office, so she can do all of her writing and creative stuff as usual. From a leisure perspective, while she likes the Windows Store and some of the early Windows 8 apps, she has not surprisingly highlighted the relative lack of software available compared to the iPad. However, this seems to be more than made up for by the fact that she can access all the websites that she and her friends visit habitually and "they all work as they are supposed to", which is an indirect reference to the constraints of Mobile Safari on iOS.

Thoughts on the Learning Curve
    The interesting thing in all of this is that never once has my daughter commented on the Windows 8 user interface. Looking over her shoulder, she happily flits between desktop and touch mode, and just gets on with it. This further confirms to me that UI related concerns commonly expressed by reviewers are more to do with lack of familiarity (perhaps sometimes accompanied by an unwillingness to make the effort) rather than inherent usability issues.

Having said this, familiarity among existing users is obviously an important consideration in a business context. Hitting a mixed ability workforce with replacement tools that are new and unfamiliar can lead to friction, productivity issues and a spike in calls to the help desk if users are not prepared for the change.

Given the usual lag between consumer and enterprise adoption of new Windows releases, the good news is that there are likely to be at least some members of the average workforce familiar with Windows 8 by the time it is rolled out, and the availability of co-worker support is not to be underestimated. There's then always the option of end user training, even though this is something that often gets overlooked.

Thank Post
    That whole article is very good however once again, and not a single article I have read has mentioned this - Microsoft don't even offer you a choice of how you would like the desktop to look and feel. Everything is forced upon you. Just like the tabs in Office. As an OS it's very good, quick, smooth and fantastic and I like it BUT, I want it to look and feel like my previous versions of windows without having to download some third party tool.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread