+ Post New Thread
Page 25 of 47 FirstFirst ... 1521222324252627282935 ... LastLast
Windows 8 Thread, Windows 8....urgh in Technical; Windows 7 works for me. Windows 8 doesn't. I can't get along with it. Like many people I will just ...
    Thank Post
    Windows 7 works for me. Windows 8 doesn't. I can't get along with it. Like many people I will just skip Windows 8.

Thank Post
    I am getting on fine with Windows 8.. for personal use and my personal work desktop and laptop. I look forward to my work PC being Windows 8, Laptop being Windows 8, Work Phone being Phone 8 and getting a Surface Pro and enjoying them all syncing.
    Last edited by HMCTech; 3rd October 2012 at 12:12 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexPilot View Post
    I am getting on fine with Windows 8
    I am really not!

Using Metro IE, opened a PDF, opened in the windows viewer thing in metro. Wanted to go back, closed the PDF program, then it takes you back to the start screen..... ruins your train of thought! Its all go here then click the invisible corner here, drag this to the bottom of the screen, click the start tile. Bah! It is one of the worst UI decisions I have ever seen, which is such a shame as the inner workings seem great, absolutely loving the startup time!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamo View Post
    I am really not!

Using Metro IE, opened a PDF, opened in the windows viewer thing in metro. Wanted to go back, closed the PDF program, then it takes you back to the start screen..... ruins your train of thought! Its all go here then click the invisible corner here, drag this to the bottom of the screen, click the start tile. Bah! It is one of the worst UI decisions I have ever seen, which is such a shame as the inner workings seem great, absolutely loving the startup time!
    Set the default to be a proper PDF reader like in 7?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Theblacksheep View Post
    Set the default to be a proper PDF reader like in 7?
    Its more the direction of travel as you move through your business day.

If I open a PDF in a browser and view the PDF, I expect that when I close the PDF I am taken back to where I was before, not to the start screen with many many distractions. It's about losing your train of thought, its not at all what you want when you are trying to work.

Thank Post
    Its more the direction of travel as you move through your business day.

If I open a PDF in a browser and view the PDF, I expect that when I close the PDF I am taken back to where I was before, not to the start screen with many many distractions. It's about losing your train of thought, its not at all what you want when you are trying to work.
    I would expect a business machine to be setup a bit better than the consumer orientated W8.

Set IE to only open on the desktop and the default PDF to be a proper PDF reader rather than the metro one. Train of thought sorted.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Theblacksheep View Post
    I would expect a business machine to be setup a bit better than the consumer orientated W8.

Set IE to only open on the desktop and the default PDF to be a proper PDF reader rather than the metro one. Train of thought sorted.
    Isn't this the point though, you can't polish a turd. (Mythbusters excused) throwing 3rd party programs at an OS which isn't built to be that way doesn't fix it, it just masks the problem.

I wonder if it will be possible to manage things like that? I know from Windows 7 that MS have done a terrible job of making management tools for the new features. From a business pov this is just a total no go!

Thank Post
    I understand that closing an application and taking you back to the start screen is not what you are used to and prefer it the other way. But I personally find it actually pretty useful. My live tiles are all connected to my exchange account and I have been put back to the start screen and seen notifications and updates on my calendar, email or news tile that I need to do that I may well have missed until I had opened my calendar or outlook. I now find myself going to the top left and dragging down on windows 7 to switch open applications.

This is just my opinion that I have worked on Windows 8 for a few months now and it has become my "norm". Not everyone will feel the same but positive opinions on a product are just as valid as negative ones.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,474 Times in 1,011 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexPilot View Post
    My live tiles are all connected to my exchange account and I have been put back to the start screen and seen notifications and updates on my calendar, email or news tile that I need to do that I may well have missed until I had opened my calendar or outlook.
    Windows 7 has that as well though, without interrupting your workflow - reminders pop up (because applications are windowed, not forced into full screen), the taskbar icon changes when I have a new email, I get an audible beep - all without having to switch back to any screen, so if anything Windows 7 alerts you to these things sooner than 8.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sonofsanta View Post
    Windows 7 has that as well though, without interrupting your workflow - reminders pop up (because applications are windowed, not forced into full screen), the taskbar icon changes when I have a new email, I get an audible beep - all without having to switch back to any screen, so if anything Windows 7 alerts you to these things sooner than 8.
    Can't agree more.

I thought we left behind full screen apps with DOS!

zag
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Totally agree with the above. I've tried windows 8 on a number of PC's now and its just awful.

The workflow thing is so messed up. They really have not thought it through for desktop users.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,068 Times in 625 Posts
    With not just this forum but many others, and many other web sites reporting the Windows 8 UI debate, I would state that this alone is proof enough that it's going to be a huge problem for MS. Unless they give people the choice then they will continue to have this bad press and constant debate.

zag
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mattx View Post
    With not just this forum but many others, and many other web sites reporting the Windows 8 UI debate, I would state that this alone is proof enough that it's going to be a huge problem for MS. Unless they give people the choice then they will continue to have this bad press and constant debate.
    Its the same debate we had with Vista really, there were the ones who updated their whole schools to it and reported back it was the greatest thing ever when there were clearly huge faults. We waited for windows 7 to come along and its been so much better.

I think Microsoft are on the right track but the product the've come up with this time is poor. Hopefully Windows 9 will sort it though.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by zag View Post
    Its the same debate we had with Vista really, there were the ones who updated their whole schools to it and reported back it was the greatest thing ever when there were clearly huge faults. We waited for windows 7 to come along and its been so much better.

I think Microsoft are on the right track but the product the've come up with this time is poor. Hopefully Windows 9 will sort it though.
    I think they have REALLY missed a really key turning point in ICT developement at the moment. They had the ability to edge into the business market with fully managed tablets, but have instead made a frankenstein windows which achieves little but frustration when used!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,474 Times in 1,011 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think they have REALLY missed a really key turning point in ICT developement at the moment. They had the ability to edge into the business market with fully managed tablets, but have instead made a frankenstein windows which achieves little but frustration when used!
    They not only had the chance to introduce fully managed tablets, but with their expertise in the Kinect and the upcoming release of the Leap (done by a small company they could easily have swallowed) they had the chance to push past touch to gesture interfaces and really drive the market forward.

But then, Ballmer being a directionless CEO is hardly news, is it.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread