+ Post New Thread
Page 20 of 46 FirstFirst ... 1016171819202122232430 ... LastLast
Windows 8 Thread, Windows 8....urgh in Technical; **coughs** Just noticed that the Control Panel folders / applets still use drop down menus and not the Ribbon Possible ...

Thank Post
    **coughs**

Just noticed that the Control Panel folders / applets still use drop down menus and not the Ribbon
    Possible oversight by MS?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    You missed my point - just because another market has appeared does not mean that it is stealing MS's market. As you just said, they have seen growth themselves. When a market is tiny, a 300% increase is still small. When a market is huge, a 3.7% increase is also large.

Have Apple or Google taken over the OS market for producitivity, or productivity suites, or servers? No on all accounts. Sure, Google Apps has nibbled a few bits here and there but you find me a big business which doesn't use Office on Windows...
    Perhaps we should start a new thread for this?
    First of all the market is not tiny anymore, are you aware Q4 2011 the tablet market was around the same size as the desktop market in sales? The Smartphones market in Q4 was x5 bigger then desktops. The Desktops market shrank 3.6% only laptops increased in sales.

A largeamount of people have moved away from desktops towards smartphones and tablets. I think it is fair to say a lot of MS market has been stolen. I just need to look locally to see places move away from MS. On Sundays I meet with friends and we used to use MS now everything has completely moved to smartphones and tablets.

“Have Apple or Google taken over the OS market for producitivity, or productivity suites, or servers? No on all accounts. Sure, Google Apps has nibbled a few bits here and there but you find me a big business which doesn't use Office on Windows...”
    They might not have overtaken but they took away a noticeable chunk. What used to be pretty much 100% MS is no longer and I see this trend to get worse against MS with Windows 8.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Pottsey View Post
    . What used to be pretty much 100% MS is no longer and I see this trend to get worse against MS with Windows 8.
    I think it will get much worse for MS, playing with Windows 8 has made me decide i am getting an Apple Mac Air in July. I do not like the direction they are going with Windows and i have been a long term Windows fan. Install Parallels with Windows 7 on the Air for any legacy PC stuff and its Mac for me.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Pottsey View Post
    A largeamount of people have moved away from desktops towards smartphones and tablets. I think it is fair to say a lot of MS market has been stolen. I just need to look locally to see places move away from MS. On Sundays I meet with friends and we used to use MS now everything has completely moved to smartphones and tablets.
    you might like these:
    Clambook Turns the Laptop Into a Smartphone-Powered Peripheral, Cats Herd Sheep | PCWorld

zag
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Quackers View Post
    I think it will get much worse for MS, playing with Windows 8 has made me decide i am getting an Apple Mac Air in July. I do not like the direction they are going with Windows and i have been a long term Windows fan. Install Parallels with Windows 7 on the Air for any legacy PC stuff and its Mac for me.
    I was thinking exactly this the other day.

For a home PC Apple seems to be a much better contender these days.

Windows 8 will be a complete and utter flop, they are going to loose the home desktop market it droves.

Thank Post
    As I've said before, I think this will be the first version of Windows where I won't be upgrading..
    I, regrettably, upgraded to Vista and was relieved when Windows 7 came out..

I am considering staying on 7 and even creating an XP machine for gaming.

I cannot see Win8 taking off - even on a tablet as I feel Apple and Google have already gained a very strong foothold. I also feel that Microsoft came too late to the smartphone party with WP7...

If I had the cash then I too would be seriously considering a MacBook too..

Ubuntu went the same way with Unity, though I feel Mint may be a good alternative.

Thank Post
    Don't be so hasty. Apple's 'market share' is what people would call 'tiny'
    Apple couldn't give a fig :P They don't have a huge market share in anything but they make a stupid amount of profit. I saw a chart once showing that they make like 70% of the US profits in the mobile phone market from just a 15/20% market share.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,653 Times in 2,253 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by zag View Post
    I was thinking exactly this the other day.

For a home PC Apple seems to be a much better contender these days.

Windows 8 will be a complete and utter flop, they are going to loose the home desktop market it droves.
    I'll retype this less verbosely as I stupidly hit the wireless button which disconnected the network just before posting before:

Everyone thought Vista was going to be the downfall of MS but then they 'invented' downgrade rights which gave everyone a lot more flexibility and kept things moving. Sure that was only for the Pro versions but it gave everyone room to manover and the home users got used to it anyway.

It is ironic that people are threatening to move to Apple because of it especially as the consumer, felt tip marker crowd that it is designed for that is the target for Windows 8.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post
    It is ironic that people are threatening to move to Apple because of it especially as the consumer, felt tip marker crowd that it is designed for that is the target for Windows 8.
    My logic behind that is if you want a restrictive, locked down OS for those with... umm... limited IT skills then you might as well have the popular one that the sheep know and love. Can't see why the iPad crowd would want to flock to Windows when their current device does what they want from it?

As for Macs, many people seem to have been sitting on the fence waiting to move for years but the change to a new OS \ UI was the limiting factor, with 8 it's a whole new way of working (and from my testing so far a much poorer one on a desktop) so at that point you don't have much to lose (apart from around £1k in Apple tax!)

Time for some celebrity endorsements perhaps... those seem to sell stuff to the consumer crowd
    Last edited by gshaw; 11th June 2012 at 01:49 PM.

Thank Post
    Hi

I must disagree here. I think Windows 8 will be a resounding success for the following reasons:

1. The Metro Tile Interface will be the same on desktops and Mobile devices

2. People will be able to have a mobile device with full office and windows functionality - one such device already exists and will run Windows Release Preview (just come out). The Samsung Series 7 Slate PC. This has a decent i5 processor, 4Gb RAM and a solid state hard drive. Just costs over a grand though!!

3. Group policy can be applied to this in the same way as normal so security is spot on - you can't do this with an Apple iPad or an Android tablet. For this reason alone businesses and schools will love this.

4. Web browsing is complete - no problems running flash or moving to HTML 5

5. Everything will work on it - full office and all windows programs for Windows 8 will run on it - just can't on the cheaper Arm Tablets (they have Office built in but you can't install any programs - read the Windows 8 Magazine available at all good bookstalls!)

Mark

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dantech View Post
    Hi

5. Everything will work on it - full office and all windows programs for Windows 8 will run on it - just can't on the cheaper Arm Tablets (they have Office built in but you can't install any programs - read the Windows 8 Magazine available at all good bookstalls!)

Mark
    Can't install anything, not even Metro apps? Surely it can't be that limited?!

zag
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Certainly interesting times, I think its a good thing to be honest. More competition and new touchpad entrants is always nice. If using windows 8 on a tablet, its actually not too bad.

Sadly windows 8 brings very little to the normal desktop user. Having used the RC for a while now, I would even go as far as to say its a downgrade in terms of usability when launching apps with a mouse (although I do like the ribbon bar in explorer and the new file copy logic).

Thank Post
    Hi

Sorry - let me qualify that. My understanding from reading the mag is that you can't install windows programs (which are technically still "Apps") onto an Arm Windows 8 tablet. I think apps are fine from the Microsoft Apps store.

Mark

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dantech View Post
    Hi

I must disagree here. I think Windows 8 will be a resounding success for the following reasons:

1. The Metro Tile Interface will be the same on desktops and Mobile devices
    Is that the same interface that's been so far a complete flop for Nokia? I read that last quarter they made more money from royalties with technology Apple pay them than from the sales of there own phones running WP7.

Its this same tiles interface as to why i do not a WP7. Disbite being a hardcore Nokia fan, the tiles are just not for me.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,653 Times in 2,253 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gshaw View Post
    My logic behind that is if you want a restrictive, locked down OS for those with... umm... limited IT skills then you might as well have the popular one that the sheep know and love. Can't see why the iPad crowd would want to flock to Windows when their current device does what they want from it?

As for Macs, many people seem to have been sitting on the fence waiting to move for years but the change to a new OS \ UI was the limiting factor, with 8 it's a whole new way of working (and from my testing so far a much poorer one on a desktop) so at that point you don't have much to lose (apart from around £1k in Apple tax!)

Time for some celebrity endorsements perhaps... those seem to sell stuff to the consumer crowd
    The grass is always greener till you get there. You are still looking at going backwards in network managment functionality a stackload by going Mac and don't forget the limited support for volume customers outside the US. The forced upgrades to keep all systems the same as there is no downgrades. The comparitivly limited hardware support options in comparison.

It is not just about the OS but the whole infrastructure that goes - or more importantly does not go - with it. That grass may look greener to some but I think a lot it it is due to that 'grass'es halucenagenic effects even with its active ingredient gone.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread