+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 47 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
Windows 8 Thread, Windows 8....urgh in Technical; Windows Phone just suffered from being a year too late imo, had it got there before the Desire and other ...
    Thank Post
    Windows Phone just suffered from being a year too late imo, had it got there before the Desire and other high-quality Android based phones we may have seen a different story.

As I saw on another site, looks a great interface for information consumption, not so good for information creation. Media Center is fine for choosing a channel (although even then I've got a remote control for it) but if it was my main PC interface I'd go crazy

Thank Post
    I wonder what the exam for this OS will be like...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by deceptivex View Post
    Look at the reviews mate, they are very nearly universally positive, not to mention the fact that carriers publically admitted that out of all the phones they sell, the Windows Phone's have the lowest return rate. Marketing is killing the phone nothing else, I've yet to meet anyone who has said "I don't like it". It's usually "I'd get it if it had this app" and with Nokia around the corner it's on it's way up. Holds the record for the fastest 0-10,000 apps.

Also, it isn't Windows Phone interface, it's the Metro UI interface that Microsoft have been designing for a while now.
    I agree with this, the reviews are awesome for WP7 I was actually quite surprised!!

I really hope Windows 8 is still oriented towards the mouse first off and has a touch user interface which is interchangeable. I really can't stand touch interfaces for the majority of work. I seriously cant imaging coding with a touch screen keyboard!!!

People seem to be going on about OSx Lion a lot? Is it really that much different? They just seem to re-badge the same garbage with a new name! Its still horiffic to use in a networked environment!!

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,054 Times in 1,491 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I quite like the look of this...whilst yes its reminiscent of Windows 7 phones, think of how long they have had to get this right. Tablets are making a big impact (nobody can deny this) not just for home but for business. They are making their OS fit the tablets and fit the home market, and by the looks of it, doing it well. I am quite interested to see how this will progress

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,749 Times in 2,322 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The more technology progresses the more it mirrors startrek stuff, WP7 and the W8 stuff looks heavily influenced by the LCARS interface idea, just a little more fleshed out.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Domino View Post
    Windows 8 and Its Incredibly Cool New Touch Interface

Am I the only one who thinks this'll be horrible in a work/school environment.....
    I was going to reserve judgement until I had tried it.

I don't know how well it will work but think its exciting that they're actually trying something different. People moan when Microsoft don't innovate and then they try something new and people... moan about that too. They can't win.

I can see a use for these tiles to notify people of site or organisation-wide notices, to keep track of things like printer credits, rss news feeds (both external and from your own Intranet). Sure it might be horrible. It might also be fantastic.

And I suspect it will be manageable in a corporate managed environment - business is their bread and butter after all.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,033 Times in 813 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Roberto View Post
    People moan when Microsoft don't innovate and then they try something new and people... moan about that too. They can't win.
    It's not that innovative really, just a more up to date copy of Linux netbook GUI's of 3 years ago combined onto a touchscreen.

8. Thanks to CyberNerd from:

farmerste (13th June 2011)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberNerd View Post
    It's not that innovative really, just a more up to date copy of Linux netbook GUI's of 3 years ago combined onto a touchscreen.
    I suppose IOS is so much more innovative? (maybe 5 years ago). I'd struggle to believe anyone saying the Metro UI interface isn't up there in spot 1 or 2 for innovation and usefulness has ever used a Windows Phone. I have the iPhone 4 and the Omnia 7 and the route Microsoft is going down is going to leave Apple and Android in the dust in terms of Usability and usefulness if they market it right, they are moving away from having to open an app or an email and are making it truly integrated. Which I don't think anyone can deny that this is the way it should be anyway. I want to look at my phone and see information, not scroll across 4 pages of useless apps and then open it to find the info.

The whole concept is remarkably similar to that future vision concept they had a few years back.

Thank Post
    I have the iPhone 4 and the Omnia 7 and the route Microsoft is going down is going to leave Apple and Android in the dust in terms of Usability and usefulness if they market it right, they are moving away from having to open an app or an email and are making it truly integrated. Which I don't think anyone can deny that this is the way it should be anyway. I want to look at my phone and see information, not scroll across 4 pages of useless apps and then open it to find the info.
    my email appears in a widget on my android desktops already

MS are doing what they always do - copy the useful bits from competitors, not that there is much wrong with that, Android does need some competition.
    The only truly innovative thing I can think of from MS was WinFS, which turned out to be vapourware.

Thank Post

MS are doing what they always do - copy the useful bits from competitors, not that there is much wrong with that, Android does need some competition.
    The only truly innovative thing I can think of from MS was WinFS, which turned out to be vapourware.
    How is having an email on your home screen a copy? that's just a basic bit of functionality. When they integrate LinkedIn, Facebook Chat, Live Messenger and Twitter into the contact lists that will be pretty sweet. My Iphone doesn't do that and users still have to open the app.

I wouldn't touch android ever, the only android phone I used was an HTC one 6 months ago and it was awful. Reminded me and how shit symbian was. Fragmented, sluggish, unreliable and the rest. Hell even Google have realized that they need to tighten it up. It's basically the linux of the phone world, except most people buy it because it's cheap instead of genuinely being interested in what it has to offer.

Android doesn't even belong in the same sphere as IOS and WP7. It's embarrassing at a time when people want everything to just work, be smooth, get regular updates that are easy to apply and be simple to use. Apple have a great product that taps into what the end user wants, Android is trying to replace symbian with another equally crap product.

Thank Post
    How is having an email on your home screen a copy? that's just a basic bit of functionality. When they integrate LinkedIn, Facebook Chat, Live Messenger and Twitter into the contact lists that will be pretty sweet. My Iphone doesn't do that and users still have to open the app.
    I wouldn't touch android ever, the only android phone I used was an HTC one 6 months ago and it was awful. Reminded me and how shit symbian was. Fragmented, sluggish, unreliable and the rest. Hell even Google have realized that they need to tighten it up. It's basically the linux of the phone world, except most people buy it because it's cheap instead of genuinely being interested in what it has to offer.

Android doesn't even belong in the same sphere as IOS and WP7. It's embarrassing at a time when people want everything to just work, be smooth, get regular updates that are easy to apply and be simple to use. Apple have a great product that taps into what the end user wants, Android is trying to replace symbian with another equally crap product.
    I thought integrating email was what you were talking about...
    Facebook, google chat, exchange, google apps, linkedin are already into Android contacts lists....

Despite your misgivings about android, I have found it robust and a breeze.
    It is also outselling other smartphones by a mile. 400,000 are activated a day and there are over 100 million in circulation.

Yes. It basically is "linux of the phone world" not that that is a bad thing. Linux has a rather large marketshare in non-desktop environments

Thank Post
    I thought integrating email was what you were talking about...
    Facebook, google chat, exchange, google apps, linkedin are already into Android contacts lists....

Despite your misgivings about android, I have found it robust and a breeze.
    It is also outselling other smartphones by a mile. 400,000 are activated a day and there are over 100 million in circulation.

Yes. It basically is "linux of the phone world" not that that is a bad thing. Linux has a rather large marketshare in non-desktop environments
    It's not even the Linux of the smartphone world. The only people who defend it so passionately are for the most part, the same people who love Linux. The rest of the world sees it as nothing more than the replacement for Symbian. It's the gap filler. The meat in the room. It lacks the substance and quality of the other phone operating systems. It lacks the long term plan also, it's basically a mash up claiming to be one thing and then backtracking quickly enough when something bad happens. I've no doubt it's successful, but it certainly isn't successful because of it's features. It's successful because the only alternative is an iPhone or a Blackberry and they are pretty much driven by fan base only hence their stagnant market shares. Android is a mass market phone and that's it, people choose it because it's pretty much the only phone around that isn't 500 quid or a black berry.

14. Thanks to deceptivex from:

Roberto (3rd June 2011)

Thank Post

MS are doing what they always do - copy the useful bits from competitors,
    I thought Android copied that off windows for smartphones v5/v6 - I'm sure I had that functionality on my old htc hermes smartphone. And I'd be shocked if there wasn't other systems around prior to that which had it.

There really is very little really "new" in this game.

not that there is much wrong with that, Android does need some competition.

Thank Post
    Not sure what Android phone \ version you were using but it sure wasn't my HTC Desire :P The only thing I can slate with my current phone is the crappy network I'm on... Orange hang your heads in shame your service is appalling

The software itself runs fast, smooth, email straight in and Facebook, BBC News, Twitter, Bookmarks and radio controls all just a quick swipe away... no apps no popups it just works I also have an iPhone I've set up for in car use (TomTom + iTunes + Alpine stereo = perfection!) and the interface is nowhere near as good in comparison. Phone 7 is an interesting take between the two of them, not quite as polished yet as it's about a year or so behind in how long it's been out there and some features are still missing but MS are on the right track. Whether Apple go for something revolutionary in iOS 5 will be interesting as to me it looks a bit dated now.

As for the widgets that was actually HTC's idea, called TouchFlo back in the day then rebranded to Sense and now being copied by Google for the newer versions of Android (iirc they want to kill off aftermarket mods like Sense now, mainly due to some of the rather awful attempts by some manufacturers... I remember Samsung's Android mods looking particularly painful on the eye)
    Last edited by gshaw; 3rd June 2011 at 02:50 PM.

Thank Post

I like my HTC disire but I ll prob go back to Win Mobile phone because android has a few bugs i.e. when you click on someone to send message back it sometimes randomly decides to select someone else! plus can be slightly sluggish

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 47 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast