+ Post New Thread
Page 18 of 46 FirstFirst ... 814151617181920212228 ... LastLast
Windows 8 Thread, Windows 8....urgh in Technical; Originally Posted by localzuk What's the point of that?? The 16:9 and 16:10 stuff is ok, but anything thinner and ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,399 Times in 962 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    What's the point of that?? The 16:9 and 16:10 stuff is ok, but anything thinner and wider is simply not conducive to a PC's primary purpose - work.
    Toshiba - who've got a 21:9 laptop coming out - say it's so you can have a widescreen movie playing with a browser window next to it (presumably with that Windows 8 docking thing). That's a common problem for me, when I'm trying to enjoy a movie, that I don't have enough internets.

Yeah, it's a stupid idea.

Thank Post
    Just installed the RP and not really seeing much improvements yet...

Though pretty much all my settings came back down from the last time which does save some time (not sure if it re-arrange the start screen to how I had it before though)

Also, I thought Aero was dead or did I miss something?
    When it pulled down my desktop settings transparency was there and when I checked the settings Transparency is still an option?

Wish the Mail app would allow you to connect to a custom email account...
    Calendar now links into my Google account which is better..

Battery life seems a little better - 93% with 1h 23m remaining so far... but that could change quite easily.
    (just as I posted this I checked again - 88% with 2h remaining - how does that work!?)

Whilst I am missing the Start Menu, and personally think it is a bad move for MS to remove it completely from non touchscreen enable devices, I am getting used to the Start Screen more and more...
    Last edited by Gatt; 6th June 2012 at 10:31 AM. Reason: battery life updated

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,399 Times in 962 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gatt View Post
    Also, I thought Aero was dead or did I miss something?
    Aero will die but not until the RTM version - it's still in the RP for now. Source: AnandTech - Microsoft Releases Windows 8 Release Preview; NVIDIA & AMD Prep New Win8 Drivers
    The only known feature addition you won’t find in the current Release Preview is the new desktop UI. The Release Preview still uses Aero Glass, however MS has announced that for the release version of Windows 8 they will be switching to an unnamed, lightweight UI that does away with the glassy features of Aero in favor of something closer to a very flat version of Microsoft Office 2010.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    lmao; My technician just told me he had to google how to shut windows down.
    Our users are going to love this. I may just skip win7 and give them a choice between gnome and win8.

Thank Post
    Whilst I am missing the Start Menu, and personally think it is a bad move for MS to remove it completely from non touchscreen enable devices, I am getting used to the Start Screen more and more...
    i think that's the whole idea behind the thinking. That, to introduce a new method of navigation that works better across more types of devices, you have to start at some point....and people will adapt even if the approach might seem a bit jarring.

Maybe, something like this will help folk to manage the transition.

The Metro hater's guide to customizing Windows 8 Consumer Preview | ZDNet

a few minutes modifying something which is clearly designed in the preview to showcase metro-style apps, so that you can be productive with traditional apps. The key thing for me is the search function. Even under Windows 7, i often find it easier to search for apps that i want to open rather than browse the start menu. To me the start menu has under win7 become not as important as the task bar or the desktop anyway, and obviously i don't want to clutter up either so spending a few minutes managing the new start screen is well worth the time spent especially if it means clearing away the metro stuff that i don't have an interest in. yet.

In summary, my view on Win8 is that there's not a lot to dislike. Faster boot up times, introduction of Hyper-v on a windows client OS for the first time, the ribbon in Windows Explorer (MS aren't getting anywhere near enough credit for that), no additional system requirements, removal of the unnecessary Aero bloat candy.

my only gripe is that they have to maintain the two ways of setting settings. If what your looking for is in Metro then great, you never need to revisit the traditional control panel, but if what your looking for isn't in the metro UI then you do have to revert, and it's that bittyness as far as the power users' experience that could be a bit frustrating.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by alttab View Post
    In summary, my view on Win8 is that there's not a lot to dislike. Faster boot up times, introduction of Hyper-v on a windows client OS for the first time, the ribbon in Windows Explorer (MS aren't getting anywhere near enough credit for that), no additional system requirements, removal of the unnecessary Aero bloat candy.
    I like the Aero look and it's not exactly causing a problem to my gaming spec PC, nor did it to an x100e basic business netbook so it's hardly that much bloat, losing it takes away much of the slickness of Windows 7

No sign of quick tile theming or background images for the Start screen, both of which would make it much less garish and insulting to the eyes, hardly a difficult set of features to ask for is it? Are we meant to be grateful that MS allows us to specify which 2-bit pattern we can have instead???

Still missing jump lists and not seeing an efficient replacement on the Start screen, also found the Live Tiles very distracting and turned them all off after about 2 minutes of installing.

I'm still yet to find one feature in the new UI that's more efficient on a desktop \ laptop than what I have now...
    Last edited by gshaw; 6th June 2012 at 03:19 PM.

Thank Post
    It's just taken me an age to, yet again, go through the Metro Start Screen (MeSS for short!) to pin, unpin, re-arrange my tiles to so that they all fit on the screen as best as possible..

This is a nightmare on a laptop with a touchpad as your tiles go everywhere - it reminds me of one of those sliding block puzzles where you had to make up a picture by moving them in a sequence until you got it right.. Annoyingly, whilst it'll sync the settings of a tile (eg the people tile - it synced my connections to Windows Live, Facebook, LinkedIn and Google) it doesn't sync the layout at all - meaning you have to spend about an hour going through it...

Whilst the live tiles can be useful, they get a bit distracting when they keep sliding between the content and the name of the tile...

Thank Post
    When I installed Chrome and told it to be the default browser, Win8 popped up with a prompt asking what extensions to associate with Chrome??

Oddly, it also removed the Metro IE10 - completely..
    Instead of the white "E" on pale blue tile - I know have one similar to Chrome with the IE9 style icon that opens the Desktop IE10...

Edit: It would appear I'm not the only one to experience this: http://www.neowin.net/forum/topic/10...10-metro-gone/
    Last edited by Gatt; 6th June 2012 at 03:55 PM. Reason: linky added

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by gshaw View Post
    I like the Aero look and it's not exactly causing a problem to my gaming spec PC, nor did it to an x100e basic business netbook so it's hardly that much bloat, losing it takes away much of the slickness of Windows 7
    i can't say a non-aero win7 UI ever added anything in the way of slickness. By which i assume you mean responsiveness, if not then how slick a UI element is is really a subjective view of one's preference for eye candy.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,653 Times in 2,253 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by alttab View Post
    i can't say a non-aero win7 UI ever added anything in the way of slickness. By which i assume you mean responsiveness, if not then how slick a UI element is is really a subjective view of one's preference for eye candy.
    Given the right GPU, even modest modern stuff and Aero was much more responcive as it was GPU bound rather than CPU bound as GDI/GDI+ (used back in WindowsPerfect 5.1 also known as XP )was. You could throw windows about with no lag and a hung up apps window did not take the whole screen out with is as each element was seporatly composited. This had better RDP performance too thanks to potimisations that they could make such as video layering.

Vista/7 WDM was way better than the older alternative from development and usage standpoint, it just happened to coinside with the transparency so everyone picked on the eye candy without taking into account the massive changes under the hood which were real progress.

Metro looks to be heavily GPU accelerated too if its anything like Windows Phone (which it is) and given the simplicity of the shapes it should be really quick on even the slowest GPU that supports the instructions and without so much transparency and complexity should be able to be run on very little power assuming newer power stepping GPUs. I imagine that is behind some of the UI tone down as well.
    Last edited by SYNACK; 6th June 2012 at 04:43 PM.

Thank Post
    My Metro Start Screen (which aptly abbreviates to - MeSS!!)
    MeSS.PNG

Thank Post
    Interesting. I have been busy scanning group policies on server 2012 RC to see what's new and found that the new Windows 8 ones also support Windows RT....

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,130 Times in 1,026 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave84 View Post
    Interesting. I have been busy scanning group policies on server 2012 RC to see what's new and found that the new Windows 8 ones also support Windows RT....
    I would assume so - most GPO are just registry tweaks and as the OS will be built in the same fashion with a registry then yes GPO's would work.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by glennda View Post
    I would assume so - most GPO are just registry tweaks and as the OS will be built in the same fashion with a registry then yes GPO's would work.
    Not sure how they would be applied seeing as RT isn't supposed to have any domain / management tool support.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,615 Times in 1,926 Posts
    Oddly, it also removed the Metro IE10 - completely...
    Not odd at all. That's how it is meant to work...

IE10 is available in both Metro style and desktop experiences when it is the default browser. If Internet Explorer is not your default browser, only desktop IE is available and you cannot change IE’s Browser Launch Settings. The “Choose how you open links” option on the Programs tab of the Internet Properties dialog will be disabled (“grayed out”) when IE is not the default browser:

To change the default browser, type “default” on the Windows 8 Start screen. The Start screen will search apps, settings, and files for this term. The Apps results will include Default Programs. Touch or click it to bring up the Default Programs control panel item. From its list of options, select “Set your default programs” to display a page containing a list of programs on the left. (Source)
    Because the Metro version of Google Chrome hasn't been released yet, Windows 8 is unable to set it as the default browser when you set the desktop version of Chrome as your default browser. Most people would want to use the same browser in both Metro and desktop environments so it does make sense to remove IE10 from the Start Screen when make a third-party browser the default.

If Metro IE remained on the Start Screen after making Chrome, Firefox etc. the default browser on the desktop side I am sure companies like Opera would complain to the EU again. It would also be confusing for users.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread