+ Post New Thread
Page 17 of 46 FirstFirst ... 713141516171819202127 ... LastLast
Windows 8 Thread, Windows 8....urgh in Technical; See this irritates me, rather than give the option to search for everything in there MS prefers to tell me ...
    Thank Post
    See this irritates me, rather than give the option to search for everything in there MS prefers to tell me how to use my computer (seemingly like a bad ripoff of an iPad thus far)... might only be 10% of the search but having to use another (rather bizarre) key combo to get to it annoys me 90% more than it did in 7.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
    The Control Panel is 9% and Files are 22%?

You're correct that it only covers search and the Start Menu. Launching programs in Windows 8 without searching for them first or clicking on the Start Screen is identical to Windows 7. i.e. you can still put shortcuts on the desktop and taskbar.
    It does not cover the start menu, it only covers the search within the start menu. I cannot see where it says people use search more over the start menu.

That chart is only in the context of what the search button is used for. Most people do not use search but of those that do 67% use it for programs. Which is not the same as saying search is used to load 67% of programs on a computer which is what a lot of websites seem to be reporting after reading that link
    Last edited by Pottsey; 22nd May 2012 at 10:38 AM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,395 Times in 1,773 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Pottsey View Post
    That chart is only in the context of what the search button is used for.
    Correct. That blog post is about the Start Screen after all.

Thank Post
    Here's the download link for the Release Preview...

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w...elease-preview

Direct Links (ISOs)
    Code:
    x64: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=251532
    x86: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=251533
    Last edited by Arthur; 31st May 2012 at 08:16 PM. Reason: New Links

Thank Post

Thank Post
    The Verge have a preview of the Preview...

Thank Post
    server 2012 download page is down.... i wonder why?

Thank Post
    I do like the look of the metro UI (must be the only one) but I still think this is a tablet OS only.

Fail!

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,571 Times in 2,188 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CHR1S View Post
    I do like the look of the metro UI (must be the only one) but I still think this is a tablet OS only.
    Nope, I like the UI too, for phones and tablets but they have not tweaked it enough for the desktop. They are doing a standard MS. Jumping on something too soon. The intro should be a bit smoother over two releases. They have been doing this for a while now with stuff like web TV and smartphones. They jump into the market and make large strides but are usually about a decade early (the UI is just a case of smooth transition). This has cost them dearly a bunch of times as someone else releases the same thing with a little more polish and usually a little more mature infrastructure behind it and suddely everyone cries revolution despite it just being an updated version of something else. MS is not alone in this but probably the most commonly done over by their own forethought in some things.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post
    Nope, I like the UI too, for phones and tablets but they have not tweaked it enough for the desktop. They are doing a standard MS. Jumping on something too soon. The intro should be a bit smoother over two releases. They have been doing this for a while now with stuff like web TV and smartphones. They jump into the market and make large strides but are usually about a decade early (the UI is just a case of smooth transition). This has cost them dearly a bunch of times as someone else releases the same thing with a little more polish and usually a little more mature infrastructure behind it and suddely everyone cries revolution despite it just being an updated version of something else. MS is not alone in this but probably the most commonly done over by their own forethought in some things.

I don't think it is true that MS are jumping on something too soon at all. Historically MS are usually late to market anything. With a few exceptions (kinect maybe?) MS is behind the competition. There is precedent for the metro principals UI in phones and linux flavours. What MS do quite well is wrap things up nicely bu they are hardly a market leader in terms of revolutionary technology.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberNerd View Post
    I don't think it is true that MS are jumping on something too soon at all. Historically MS are usually late to market anything. With a few exceptions (kinect maybe?) MS is behind the competition. There is precedent for the metro principals UI in phones and linux flavours. What MS do quite well is wrap things up nicely bu they are hardly a market leader in terms of revolutionary technology.
    Note widely accepted tech, they push it before it is really fully baked and everyone avoids it so their actual products remain concervative in general (along with avoiding EU speeding tickets). They need to put their good ideas into practice when the behind tech is more ready - Vista capible anyone - but not wait till the market is already well owned by other player so that it is 'safer'. Their timing is just screwy. I think that the hybrid aproach with the desktop having a 'start menu' that launched a 60% size version of metro as a start menu for some configs would be fine for desktops and a switchable option. You could jump to full screen metro with a button or double tap or something and people would probably be much happier. They could then push foward further with the next release if they needed to.

Thank Post
    It looks like 21:9 is going to become the new 16:9 when it comes to Windows 8 laptops and AIOs. Urgh!!!

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,312 Times in 1,788 Posts
    Blog Entries
    What's the point of that?? The 16:9 and 16:10 stuff is ok, but anything thinner and wider is simply not conducive to a PC's primary purpose - work.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
    It looks like 21:9 is going to become the new 16:9 when it comes to Windows 8 laptops and AIOs. Urgh!!!
    Oh joy, another media consumption resolution. A screen shape like that is rubbish for entering and editing a large amount of text.

Anyone else notice how similar in proportion that is to modern smartphones though, given their direction they could be looking for a direct scaling trick like the iPad 3 pulled off but with vector graphics thankfully. Could make some developers lives more easy for the next multi-platform, all singing, all dancing Plants vs Zombies multi-screen extravogansa. Tough luck if you want to write a long report though, I guess thats what screen rotation is for but it is a little harder to pull that trick on a fixed form laptop. External keyboard and mouse might make it possible though, even if it would look a little odd
    Last edited by SYNACK; 5th June 2012 at 01:01 PM.

Thank Post
    Upgraded to Windows 8 Release Preview yesterday... still don't like it

Horizontal scrolling is so irritating if not using a touchscreen, even worse on a touchpad!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread